Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Cayman R Headlight Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2023, 01:10 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Custom Cayman R Headlight Project

A neighbor to our north inquired about a special request and after going through the option we came up with a final custom spec.

This was a big project to tackle with all parts needing refinished and new Cayman R replacement covers but the final result is so unique and exactly what the customer was asking for.

I will be shipping out today and can't wait to see photos of them on the car which sounds like an amazing build.

AS-IS STARTING POINT

COVER REMOVED

DECONSTRUCTION

COMPONENTS SEPARATED AND DECHROMED

NEW FINISHES AS REQUESTED APPLIED TO COMPONENTS

REASSEMBLED

NEW CAYMAN R REPLACEMENT COVER INSTALLED

While this is truly a one off custom job, we would be happy to just renew your 987.2 headlights with our replacement covers in original silver or Cayman R gloss black finish.

Have a great holiday weekend all!

-Paolo

email: info@RENNLIGHTS.com
www.RENNLIGHTS.com

Last edited by RENNLIGHTS; 09-02-2023 at 01:11 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by RENNLIGHTS:
andrewro (09-02-2023), John McM (09-03-2023), Julian_KCMO (09-02-2023), spyderbret (09-06-2023), The Duke (09-05-2023), voodu3 (09-20-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-14-2023, 08:56 PM
Shea550
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice work!

Wow this turned out really nice! Love how clean it looks with the final product. Great work!
Old 09-16-2023, 03:41 PM
Rick Schwartz
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I have a few quick questions when you get a chance. First off, the headlights look fantastic. I went through a similar process with my lights about a year ago, but my starting point was with the halogen headlights, the ones you were working on look like they are the HID ones if i am correct( i could be wrong, but the high beam is also a projector). Basic gist, did you make any changes to the internals, or was it an aesthetic refresh. Like you kept the existing HID low & high beam projectors as well.
I ask, as the lights really are beautiful, but for me coming from the halogens,it was more about lighting up the road. We were able to use a very good bi-led low beam, but didnt have the space for a dedicated led high beam. Was curious if anything has changed. I am overly pleased with the functionality, but quad led projectors would have been nice.

Old 09-17-2023, 12:24 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi Rick,
This project was purely aesthetic. The internals haven't been changed on the customers headlights, just the requested cosmetic modifications.
The light output of the headlight has remained unchanged since the chrome parts modified do not affect light beam reflection or projection.

-Paolo
Old 09-18-2023, 09:51 AM
enlico
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Schwartz
Hi,
I have a few quick questions when you get a chance. First off, the headlights look fantastic. I went through a similar process with my lights about a year ago, but my starting point was with the halogen headlights, the ones you were working on look like they are the HID ones if i am correct( i could be wrong, but the high beam is also a projector). Basic gist, did you make any changes to the internals, or was it an aesthetic refresh. Like you kept the existing HID low & high beam projectors as well.
I ask, as the lights really are beautiful, but for me coming from the halogens,it was more about lighting up the road. We were able to use a very good bi-led low beam, but didnt have the space for a dedicated led high beam. Was curious if anything has changed. I am overly pleased with the functionality, but quad led projectors would have been nice.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Which Fuchs'-like wheels are these? I would love to find them exactly like this

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2023, 06:05 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 305 Posts

The upgrade looks great! Where are you guys sourcing the Cayman R lenses? I ask because some aftermarket lens replacements I've seen (for other cars) have a reputation for the UV coating flaking off pretty quickly, not lasting near as long as with OEM lenses.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:32 PM
osuidoc
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
The upgrade looks great! Where are you guys sourcing the Cayman R lenses? I ask because some aftermarket lens replacements I've seen (for other cars) have a reputation for the UV coating flaking off pretty quickly, not lasting near as long as with OEM lenses.
​​​​​​ All of our replacement covers are purchased from the same single and reputable source. We have customers with covers beyond two years with no signs of early failure. Early on we were trialing different aftermarket options and there is definitely variability in the available quality. We learned early on that in most cases you get which paid for. Safe to say that some of the covers from sources like Alibaba or eBay wouldn't surprise me if they suffered reduced longevity.

Paolo

Quick Reply: Custom Cayman R Headlight Project