Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Steering wheel upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 12:46 PM
Fisheagle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 987.2 Steering wheel upgrade

My car has the standard non-multifunctional steering wheel. The previous owner installed a Dynavin head unit as a replacement for the standard CDR 30 radio and now I want to replace the steering wheel with a multifunctional one so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change channels etc.

I have been able to locate a second-hand mf wheel but it's the wrong colour - brown leather - I need black.

Has anyone disassembled a steering wheel? Can my black rim be interchanged with the brown one or is the answer to dye the brown one black?

Odd question I know, but maybe ....
Old 08-17-2023, 01:16 PM
Zepper
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Wait is the steering wheel the same design? (pix are worth a 1000 words...) If so then yes you can swap the MF controls from the brown one to your black one. If they are different steering wheel design generations then probably not. You'll probably also need the MF steering wheel airbag harness vs the standard harness on your steering wheel. Can you give us a couple of pix? Thanks

Last edited by Zepper; 08-17-2023 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:12 AM
Fisheagle
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Zepper. Yes, they are the same design. The MF was offered as an option and according to Porsche Centre, only one type of harness was supplied meaning that MF connections were left open on the standard wheel, so should be just plug and play! I've heard that re-coding might be required.
Old 08-18-2023, 11:29 AM
Zepper
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Fisheagle
Thanks Zepper. Yes, they are the same design. The MF was offered as an option and according to Porsche Centre, only one type of harness was supplied meaning that MF connections were left open on the standard wheel, so should be just plug and play! I've heard that re-coding might be required.
Cool it should be a really easy swap. Just make sure you have a set of torx bits or t-handles.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:12 PM
Julian_KCMO
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

You'll also need an M12 triple square if the steering wheel bolt is the same as my 987.1

Quick Reply: 987.2 Steering wheel upgrade