Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 03:55 PM
island
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Key Fob Not Working

Purchased '08 base Cayman last Spring. I seem to remember the fob working correctly but for many months now, it has been sporadic. I need to press the button numerous times to unlock door. Lately, and this may be a fluke, I would sometime put the key in the door, turn it back and forth a few times while pushing the button and pulling up on the handle and it would unlock. On Monday, I unlocked door six times but not without many pushes on the fob.
Online research found that the battery does not necessarily go bad suddenly so I finally replaced the battery, first with some old, generic units and then with new Energizers and now it does not unlock regardless of what I try. I watched many videos and did learn about the sleep mode which requires lifting the handle and then pressing the button but still nothing.
I also learned that one should take the key to a bonded locksmith (or Lowe's/Home Depot) and always have a second key just in case....I should not have procrastinated.
The door lock mechanism has never worked and I had planned on replacing it after the weather warmed this Spring.
The gold tab in the fob was at an angle so I moved it into different positions. Should it be at a 90 degree angle or slightly bent?
https://rennlist.com/how-tos/a/porsc...working-377643

How can I open the door

?
Old 03-03-2023, 04:27 PM
island
Intermediate

The battery is on a trickle charger.
Old 03-03-2023, 04:58 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Make sure the metal contacts are sprung out far enough to touch positive and negative portions of the battery.
Old 03-03-2023, 05:56 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

when i tried to bend the tabs on my key one of them broke off. the buttons are now useless.

in time, i've found that having useless buttons on the key is an advantage as it has eliminated the number of times that, due to their convex shape, are unintentionally pressed when i sit down or remove them from my pants pockets. although i suppose it could be inconvenient for those that are habitual door-lockers. i am not.
Old 03-04-2023, 12:17 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Make sure the metal contacts are sprung out far enough to touch positive and negative portions of the battery.
Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
when i tried to bend the tabs on my key one of them broke off. the buttons are now useless...
Well, there's that...Never broke one but was always concerned that might happen...

Old 03-04-2023, 07:05 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 173 Posts

If your key still has its programing, but is otherwise falling apart, and not staying together... I wonder if these guys could fix it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/We-Will-Upg...df6c%7Ciid%3A1

Got a reworked key back from them in 2019, one that had been dropped way too many times to stay together. New unit maintained coding to the car, case looks and operates absolutely perfect.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:27 PM
island
Intermediate

My issue is that I cannot unlock the door in order and attempt to reprogram as the door lock mechanism shows no resistance when I turn the key either direction. The key appears to be okay except that the gold tab was askew. I have pushed it down....no luck. I have bent it straight up...no luck. Thanks for the link. From their site...
1) It is assumed that you have a functional coin battery in the key head, that your existing key blade is still functional, that you are able to start your car, that you are able to lock and unlock the doors and open the trunk/s (boot/s) with what is remaining of the buttons. If not, there is probably more work to do, and it might mean having your Porsche dealer do it, but not necessarily. If you have only one key, and you want a duplicate, you will also have to visit your Porsche dealer.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:28 PM
island
Intermediate

Tomorrow, I will contact a locksmith or two and inquire as to how difficult it is to break into the car. I assume the alarm will sound.
Old 03-05-2023, 12:34 PM
island
Intermediate

Do I spent $58 on this off-brand from Ebay?
Old 03-05-2023, 12:39 PM
island
Intermediate

Or spend $235 at Pelican?

Found this advice on a forum but without stating why...Word to the wise, do NOT go aftermarket....I assume that the cheap version will either not work at all or stop working after a short time.
Old 03-05-2023, 01:11 PM
island
Intermediate

Just found the Pelican parts forum...you will see there is a plastic piece that connects the door lock mechanism to the actual key cylinder. This plastic piece has a tendency to break - it's probably broken on your car. I would remove the door panel and take a look, you'll probably find this $3 piece of plastic lying in the bottom of your door.

Now I need to see if I can open the door by pulling up on the handle with a wedge and a stiff wire?

Just noticed that the red light does not emit when pressing the fob buttons.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:42 PM
island
Intermediate

Locksmith came by and managed to get the air bag under the glass but decided it was too risky to pump further as there are only about 12" from the door to the roof and does not want to chance breaking the glass. I managed to pull the interior door handle, it opened, the alarm went off, I placed the key in ignition and it started! The door is currently unlocked and the window is down about an inch. It will roll up when I press the button while inside of car.
I ordered a used door lock mechanism on Ebay plus a 6mm spline socket (they are hard to find) from Lowe's. I hope to remove door panel after it arrives next week.

Dealership...$684 + $125 to program. He said that he had have never seen an aftermarket key that worked. Please let me know if an $300 aftermarket key will work for my car.
Has anyone ordered new key fobs from these sites. They require the VIN#...
https://www.carkeyduplication.com/?m...ion=vpf-search
https://shop.porscheusa.com/scart.php
I was told that I can buy a used key on Ebay. They are selling for $85 with ignition switch.
Would I need to replace my switch and then have the "new" used key programmed to it? That would still leave me with my one original key that will not unlock the door but will start the car.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:35 PM
island
Intermediate

https://www.suncoastparts.com/BASK.html
Old 11-06-2023, 12:13 PM
island
Intermediate

Summation...
Purchased my vehicle in May '22 and the fob became glitchy, requiring multiple presses to open the door.
Changed batteries and it to no longer opened the door, regardless of how many presses.
The door latch had no resistance, which required me to carefully gain access.
Replaced the lock cylinder ($560!). I thought that I may break the new white plastic cylinder as the fit is very tight. Good thing it is flexible.
I can now open the door with the new lock key but must insert ignition key quickly in order to avoid setting off alarm. The original key will start the car.

Old 11-15-2023, 03:39 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 110 Likes on 59 Posts

You are currently at the same place I am (key unlocks and starts car but I need to get the key in the ignition within agout 5 seconds or the alarm starts going)
I've only had this Cayman a few months and my key used to open the frunk and trunk but not the doors, then I changed the battery and now nothing...annoying.

Ideas anyone?

Cheers,
Julian

Quick Reply: Key Fob Not Working