Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK grinding 3 months after road traffic collision

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 11:21 AM
westway
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy PDK grinding 3 months after road traffic collision

Hi friends, I have found myself in a pretty horrible situation. I have condensed into bullet points for ease of reading:

- I was rear-ended at c15-20mph and was shunted into the car in front of me (VIDEO:
)

- Car was repaired at a cost of £12k. The repairs included bumper and shock absorbers. The exhaust tip and mount was replaced but not the entire exhaust system.

- Three months after I had the car returned to me and c3000 miles of driving, the PDK has developed a grinding sound present at all times the car is in motion.

- There are no PDK error codes being thrown and no dashboard warnings. The fault has been diagnosed by putting the car on a ramp and engaging drive. The grinding is only present when the wheels are in motion and is coming from the gearbox.

I have two main questions:

- Is it possible that the crash caused this damage to my gearbox?

- How would you proceed in trying to get the at fault insurance company to pay out? I have been quoted £12k for a new gearbox.

I have condensed this immensely and will provide more details on request. Thanks in advance for reading this and offering any advice you may have!
Old 02-27-2023, 01:22 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i would assume it was caused by the crash, but i wouldn't be surprised if it takes the threat of a lawsuit to get any money out an insurance company. i hope i am wrong.

Quick Reply: PDK grinding 3 months after road traffic collision