Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prospective 987.2 Cayman S... How troubling is this Over-Rev report?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 06:09 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by tiiger
weird that the range 3 hit is shorter duration than 4, 5 & 6. Seems you'd need to go through 3 to get to the others, but maybe it's not as logical as that.
People are commonly confused by this. The answer is that the ranges are not cumulative (other than the 2-range over-rev report found on 996 models). So what happens is the engine zooms past Range 3 quickly on its way to the higher ranges, then zooms back down through it once they push in the clutch and revs fall.
Old 02-09-2023, 06:25 PM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Zach L
People are commonly confused by this. The answer is that the ranges are not cumulative (other than the 2-range over-rev report found on 996 models). So what happens is the engine zooms past Range 3 quickly on its way to the higher ranges, then zooms back down through it once they push in the clutch and revs fall.
That makes sense
Old 02-10-2023, 12:35 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

I bought my 2010 non-S with 51 ignitions in range 6. However, in my case, they were hundreds of hours in the past from when I got the car. For that reason, I had less to worry about. I guess the question would be, what's the time threshold you feel comfortable with - you have about 100 hours, which is relatively recent. On the other hand, as TMc993 noted, the time spent in that range was VERY short. Probably not long enough to do anything significantly bad?

In the end, if the deal is good, then it's worth looking further. The PPI will help reveal the overall treatment of the car, as well. Overall, I wouldn't say this is a non-starter... I would recommend getting a better deal, at least.

Also, as questioned above, you can get this info from the Foxwell NT530... a low cost scanner that can do quite a bit on the 987.2 platform.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:29 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

just so everyone knows...when i bought my foxwell, i was issued ONE free supplemental software package with the purchase. i chose the porsche specific package and without it, the over-rev info is unavailable, AFAIK.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 02-10-2023 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:10 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwinn
I guess the question would be, what's the time threshold you feel comfortable with - you have about 100 hours, which is relatively recent. On the other hand, as TMc993 noted, the time spent in that range was VERY short. Probably not long enough to do anything significantly bad?
Yep, exactly.

It could be fine, or it might not. Only time will tell. The main thing is that the ECU will always bear the scar of that over-rev, even if no damage was done. And that will mean a lower resale value down the line. So it really depends on what the PPI uncovers, and what kind of deal I can negotiate with the seller.

Would anyone say that if a 4 > 1 downshift caused this it would be worse for the car than a 5 > 2 downshift? Or is everything equal on that front?
Old 02-12-2023, 11:36 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
just so everyone knows...when i bought my foxwell, i was issued ONE free supplemental software package with the purchase. i chose the porsche specific package and without it, the over-rev info is unavailable, AFAIK.
Correct, you need the PORSCHE code to get to it. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yep, exactly.

It could be fine, or it might not. Only time will tell. The main thing is that the ECU will always bear the scar of that over-rev, even if no damage was done. And that will mean a lower resale value down the line. So it really depends on what the PPI uncovers, and what kind of deal I can negotiate with the seller.
No argument with any of that. But, if you drive the car, then that old scar gets less and less pertinent as well, so on resell you can mention that as well. Any one wise-enough to know what it should should also know it's a non-issue after hundreds of hours. Looking back, my car had it's range-6 800 hours before I bought it. The math that I was suggested to do was that the average speed was 26 mph, so 800 hours is approx 20k miles ago. In my case, that was plenty long ago, so it was a non-issue...

A second point to mention regarding resale.. I get it. But I'll be honest, I can't imagine ever selling my 987.2 - I love it that much. If it ever goes, it's going to be dead or beyond repair for some reason, at which point a range 6 is really not a big deal, haha.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:34 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 224 Posts

Yep, exactly.

Would anyone say that if a 4 > 1 downshift caused this it would be worse for the car than a 5 > 2 downshift? Or is everything equal on that front?
It's about time at the overspeed regardless of the gear........the two risks are piston contacting a valve and stretched rod bolts. The valve will show on compression and the stretched rod bolt
will either have a rod knock or potentially reduced oil pressure. The good thing about the 987.2 is the oil pressure system exceeds requirements so
as long as compression is good and at + 100hrs. no rod knock and good oil pressure, you're probably ok.

Last edited by A432; 02-12-2023 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2023, 10:39 PM
livfreely
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Thanks for passing on this one

Tiiger, Thank you for passing on this one. Drove her home today, and this car is a blast!!!

We shall see if she can sustain. I went with longevity in over rev as my ultimate decision to pull the trigger.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:12 AM
tiiger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by livfreely
Tiiger, Thank you for passing on this one. Drove her home today, and this car is a blast!!!

We shall see if she can sustain. I went with longevity in over rev as my ultimate decision to pull the trigger.
So glad to hear.

I went back and forth on it, but eventually found a minty one in meteor gray metallic. I really like the red tho.

Congrats!

Quick Reply: Prospective 987.2 Cayman S... How troubling is this Over-Rev report?