Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDR30 has to go

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:12 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts
Default CDR30 has to go

I’m not going to wait for Porches overpriced version of a replacement - but I don’t want to be first either.

Has anyone replaced their CDR30 with an aftermarket solution recently? I’d love to find a thread on this or some firsthand feedback.

DaveGee
Old 02-02-2023, 06:48 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I’m not going to wait for Porches overpriced version of a replacement - but I don’t want to be first either.

Has anyone replaced their CDR30 with an aftermarket solution recently? I’d love to find a thread on this or some firsthand feedback.

DaveGee
I’m in the same boat. Do you have Bose?
Old 02-02-2023, 07:17 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

My car came with a Pioneer HU, and it has Bose from the factory. I think they took some shortcuts because I can see copper speaker wires packed in there. I have read that the MOST optical adapter setup works well, and makes for a pretty easy install on a Bose system. In the end, I can't imagine it's very hard... I would certainly recommend getting an aftermarket over the Porsche version... especially since it still doesn't do wireless Carplay/AndroidAuto (from what I hear).
Old 02-02-2023, 08:34 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by McSwine
I’m in the same boat. Do you have Bose?
I do not have Bose. You?

DaveGee
Old 02-02-2023, 08:59 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

I do not have Bose. You?

DaveGee
I do. I’m guessing that’s not good.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:24 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwinn
My car came with a Pioneer HU, and it has Bose from the factory. I think they took some shortcuts because I can see copper speaker wires packed in there. I have read that the MOST optical adapter setup works well, and makes for a pretty easy install on a Bose system. In the end, I can't imagine it's very hard... I would certainly recommend getting an aftermarket over the Porsche version... especially since it still doesn't do wireless Carplay/AndroidAuto (from what I hear).
Does everything work like it’s supposed to and are you happy with it? I’m certainly not opposed to saving some money.
Old 02-03-2023, 12:15 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Having the Bose is not "bad" (other than my opinion that Bose stuff sucks in general) but it costs more... because you need to either take out all the Bose stuff and replace it, or get a relatively expensive optical adapter (aka "MOST adapter"). As I have read, doing that also loses the ability to adjust the fader (front/back volume) because the MOST is only a 2-channel device. But, many have done this and are happy with it.

I'm somewhat happy with my setup, but only because I think whoever did it took shortcuts. Since I see the copper wires, I expect there is no optical adapter, and so maybe they wired directly to the Bose speakers? That is a terrible idea, and may explain the low-end distortion I get on the system - the EQ on the HU has to be set to "voice" mode because the speakers can't take it (typical of Bose when not amplified by their own amps). Alternatively, maybe they ripped out the Bose speakers and put in cheap junk... which would also explain the distortion. The overall volume is low, too, so I expect they have no external amps and maybe chose speakers that are inefficient.

I haven't dug into it, but I may do that eventually. For now it works well enough, so I haven't bothered. For the HU itself, I am very happy with the interface and setup there... I get that some people want the OEM look., but I could care less about that. I want functionality first, and then maybe a pretty screen, which this delivers. It also does HD radio, can support a backup cam (not installed yet, but I may put one in this year), etc. The only thing I hate about modern HUs is they often drop the volume **** - I miss that (it's button-based). This HU can also do DVD, MP3 CDs, DivX, etc... though I have never used those to-date (bluetooth is plenty). It's also too old for AndroidAuto, but I don't really need that since my phone works create with a magnetic vent mount (again, I'm all about functionality first, and I'm cheap, haha!)

FYI, my HU is a Pioneer AVH-501EX: https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...vers/AVH-501EX

Again, this came with the car, but I will probably get in there eventually and see what they did so I can make it all work better. My recommendation is that you do it right from the start - don't take shortcuts.
Old 02-03-2023, 03:11 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

the standard head unit on my '07 cayman was already replaced with a pioneer head unit when i bought the car. they had left the amp in the front trunk and the subwoofer in the passenger's footwell. then added a new pioneer amp in the front trunk in a space usually reserved for something else (i don't know what) and added a semiportable subwoofer behind the driver's seat. they also replaced the door speakers and probably the tweeters too. it was a hack job. wires are all over the place in the console behind the head unit and the door panel fasteners were butchered when they swapped in new speakers. the radio reception is pathetic and the sound quality is poor. but, hey, its got bluetooth! and a rearview camera...neither of which i use.

i went to a porsche dealerhip and asked what it would cost to have an original system re-installed. ...he said about $12,000...
so i download tunes to my phone and use earbuds via a bluetooth connection. it works...*shrug*
Old 02-03-2023, 05:18 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Hello. First post in the 987 forum. I recently bought a 2008 Cayman and the previous owner already installed an Alpine ILX-107. Except for the tiny volume buttons, it works quite well with either wires or wireless CarPlay. I noticed it is a discounted model. Maybe alpine has a newer model. Not sure where he got the face plate but I remember when I had a Boxster, I got one via eBay
Old 02-04-2023, 07:03 PM
rSchwarzenegger
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this setup and it works really well. All I wanted was Carplay and its the better then the factory carplay from my other cars. I was nervous because it's inexpensive but I have no complaints and now I have a backup camera.
Old 03-10-2023, 05:55 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Alright, I’m going in. Appointment set for next week to have my OEM CDR-30 replaced with an Alpine ilx-507. And “while you’re in there” I’m having them add a rear view camera. I’m having a local outfit do the work. They’re familiar with the CDR-30 replacement process and have a long history working on Porsches. I’ll post final costs when completed, but as quoted I’m still looking at less than what I expect Porsche’s solution to be AND I’ll have the backup camera too. Wish me luck.

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
Schwinn (03-11-2023), Van Larson (03-14-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 08:51 PM
HalV
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Alright, I’m going in. Appointment set for next week to have my OEM CDR-30 replaced with an Alpine ilx-507. And “while you’re in there” I’m having them add a rear view camera. I’m having a local outfit do the work. They’re familiar with the CDR-30 replacement process and have a long history working on Porsches. I’ll post final costs when completed, but as quoted I’m still looking at less than what I expect Porsche’s solution to be AND I’ll have the backup camera too. Wish me luck.

DaveGee
Are you keeping the Bose amp? If so, what are they using to convert the alpine output to the fiber optics amp?
Old 03-13-2023, 05:27 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

I don’t have Bose which simplifies the conversion.

DaveGee
Old 03-14-2023, 12:37 PM
iago94010
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DaveGee
Do you currently have the Sound Plus package with 6 speakers? Are you replacing all 6 speakers as well?
Old 03-14-2023, 01:13 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Yes, I have the Sound Plus package, but I'm not replacing speakers. This conversion is more about having CarPlay and a backup camera than it is quality audio. The Spyder is not a particularly quiet car and any investment in improving audio quality in it is lost on me.

DaveGee

Quick Reply: CDR30 has to go