Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major issues at the track this past weekend - PDK

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 11:04 AM
mskar
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BadsSgt
Guys My Panamera is now running again. I paid a fellow 650 usd tonight to remote into my piwis III only to find that the seller did not set up my piwis III correctly he had to flash new stuff into my unit. after he did it calibrated thru the whole process my transmission errors are gone and my car now runs again. I am pretty pissied at autonumen.com right now because i told them it had to be something with there software and they told me they would only look at it if I paid for a tech to remote in and look. they are selling these like this on purpose to upcharge for more money. the driver light is out because i had the lower fender out looking for the transmission control unit. ill fix it tomorrow. its freakling calibrated and running now thats all i care about I can share my remote guys info if you like we agreed on 500 usd. i paid him 650 it was worth it.

Add "eurocartool.com" to the list of PIWIS-3 dealers who rip you off. There are no .bin files in my copy and attempting to calibrate or program a TCU (probably anything) results in the erasing of the unit. Mine also lacks "E" (engineering) mode. I tried to contact them multiple times on WhatsApp but they completely blew me off. I've since purchased a PIWIS-2 adapter and downloaded a PIWIS-2 Vm what works very well and has all of the modes. Since my car is older, I've been advised to just use the PIWIS-2. One thing that "might" be an indicator, is the PIWIS-3 version. From what I've read, Porsche ships the software missing a lot of the programming data (like .bins for flashing control units). The versions will be Major + Minor, with no revision, i.e. "40.6.0". Rumor has it (I have NO way of verifying this) that the first time the dealer runs it, it connects to the Porsche mothership, downloads the .bin files an updates itself and you'll have a version with major + minor + revision, i.e. "40.6.125".

@rnlst_log was helpful about setting me straight on my "3", he told me that it was wasted money if I have a working "II". Hope that helps someone out down the road. I would check with @rnlst_log before doing any business on a PIWIS 3, we didn't get to it but I think he can provide you with a PIWIS 3 and seems honest enough to tell you whether it has engineering mode and flash files prior to selling you on it. Eurocartool cost me well over a thousand dollars ($750 paid to them for a product that doesn't fully work + $250 for a replacement/spare TCU from LAdismantlers after my programming attempt (recommended course) erased my TCU. I wouldn't give them another dime.
Old 05-25-2023, 11:52 AM
mskar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mskar
Add "eurocartool.com" to the list of PIWIS-3 dealers who rip you off. There are no .bin files in my copy and attempting to calibrate or program a TCU (probably anything) results in the erasing of the unit. Mine also lacks "E" (engineering) mode. I tried to contact them multiple times on WhatsApp but they completely blew me off. I've since purchased a PIWIS-2 adapter and downloaded a PIWIS-2 Vm what works very well and has all of the modes. Since my car is older, I've been advised to just use the PIWIS-2. One thing that "might" be an indicator, is the PIWIS-3 version. From what I've read, Porsche ships the software missing a lot of the programming data (like .bins for flashing control units). The versions will be Major + Minor, with no revision, i.e. "40.6.0". Rumor has it (I have NO way of verifying this) that the first time the dealer runs it, it connects to the Porsche mothership, downloads the .bin files an updates itself and you'll have a version with major + minor + revision, i.e. "40.6.125".

@rnlst_log was helpful about setting me straight on my "3", he told me that it was wasted money if I have a working "II". Hope that helps someone out down the road. I would check with @rnlst_log before doing any business on a PIWIS 3, we didn't get to it but I think he can provide you with a PIWIS 3 and seems honest enough to tell you whether it has engineering mode and flash files prior to selling you on it. Eurocartool cost me well over a thousand dollars ($750 paid to them for a product that doesn't fully work + $250 for a replacement/spare TCU from LAdismantlers after my programming attempt (recommended course) erased my TCU. I wouldn't give them another dime.
UPDATE:
I gave Eurocartool a heads up that since they had been ignoring my support requests and that they sold me an incomplete product, I'd be posting here to warn others. I received a whatsapp chat back within 5 minutes with an offer to reinstall my system for me with working E mode! I'll see how they do, if this was simply a misunderstanding or mistake on their part and they make it right, that speaks volumes
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 12:07 PM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 125 Posts

I feel your pain and can only say thanks for posting all your data and troubles here - so someone else may be helped in the future...
Old 05-25-2023, 03:47 PM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I second that, I know down the line I will need to fix my PDK and all this kind of info is gold.
Old 05-30-2023, 01:24 AM
GroupJ
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good luck and thanks for sharing. These PDK cars are fun tack toys but when they don't work they are hard to diagnose. Thanks for all the info.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:26 AM
BadsSgt
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased my unit From Autonumen.com. I reached out the them many times letting them know it was something wrong with the software. they would not listen to reason. they only told me they would have a tech look at it for an additional charge.
I found a guy online who is very very good with software coding. he sells the Piwis configured properly. he sold one to a guy I met on here who hooked me up with him. he logged into my pc remote and was able to fix all the errors in my software. I highly recommend him if you guys need help fixing your units. he accepts paypal for his time and is worth every penny. he saved my car.
his name is MARS his email is Hrsaeran@gmail.com or you can download telegram app and contact him at MHX_log.
Kinderelk (07-13-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 11:15 AM
mskar
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:
I gave Eurocartool a heads up that since they had been ignoring my support requests and that they sold me an incomplete product, I'd be posting here to warn others. I received a whatsapp chat back within 5 minutes with an offer to reinstall my system for me with working E mode! I'll see how they do, if this was simply a misunderstanding or mistake on their part and they make it right, that speaks volumes
I just wanted to update this post to let everyone know that EuroCarTool DID COME THROUGH!!! I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they just lost track of me. Although my version 41 still does not have "E" mode, it has version 38 installed as well, that version DOES have Engineering mode. Because I had problems with my original PIWIS 3 due to what I think is missing flash files (blanked TCU on calibrate), I'll likely keep using my PIWIS 2 until I have a chance to test the PIWIS 3 further.

Anyway, my thanks to EurocarTool for fixing me up, installing a PIWIS takes several hours of their time.
Kinderelk (07-13-2023)
Old 02-01-2024, 02:30 PM
PWM1972
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using a borrowed PIWIS-II adapter and having created a nice working VirtualBox PIWISII vm, I was finally able to reprogram the TCU I blanked using the crappy PIWIS3 clone's "PDK Calibrate" function last weekend. I don't know what is wrong with the PIWIS3 but it erases any TCU that I attempt to either program or calibrate. I'd love to hear confirmation that the PIWIS-3 clone either *does* usually work, or is broken for everyone. Maybe its just the version I got from my hacker, er... I mean... "vendor"? I'd thought of picking up another adapter from AliExpress, they appear to be about $75. Maybe it's a matter of crappy hardware?
I can confirm that the PIWIS 3 clone does indeed brick the TCU. I tried to do a re-calibration today and after it failed I now have a PDK TCU 000000000 and the dreaded 10040. I have a spare on my other car, but seriously don't want to brick both cars, so am looking around for a used TCU and likely a trip to the OPC to have it programmed correctly.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:13 AM
mskar
Rennlist Member

Sorry to hear that. If you have a PIWIS II you should be able to self rescue. I wish I documented the procedure, but essentially I went into Engineering mode and then used the programming menu. You'll know you're in the right place when you see a list of eproms with indecipherable names and think to yourself, "great, what do all these filenames represent". Somehow I deduced the correct one to use, but my buddy tells me that there is documentation on the .bin names. Wish I could be more help, but it was some time ago.
Old 02-05-2024, 08:45 AM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by PWM1972
I can confirm that the PIWIS 3 clone does indeed brick the TCU. I tried to do a re-calibration today and after it failed I now have a PDK TCU 000000000 and the dreaded 10040. I have a spare on my other car, but seriously don't want to brick both cars, so am looking around for a used TCU and likely a trip to the OPC to have it programmed correctly.
I talked to one of the guys that provide the PIWIS software, he stated that a lot of the adapters do not work properly. They all look the same but there are differences. He has identified one that works which I bought from him. I can't tell for sure if he's right or what the differences are but it does align with my own experience. I had issues with one I bought earlier but I have not had any with the one I got through him.
Old 06-04-2024, 02:07 PM
teevirdi
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank to @mskar saved me ordering another control unit. I can also confirm that programming with a PIWIS 3 clone deletes all the info. Good job I got a PIWIS 2 to get it all back up and running.

Quick Reply: Major issues at the track this past weekend - PDK