Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 LED spars - Huge upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2023, 04:43 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with these spars do update the look of the 987.1 Cayman, but unfortunately I had a bad experience and/or bad luck with this particular product.
I have had two separate failures of these spars.
The first issue was several LEDs failing in the middle of the light string after just a couple years.

I replaced both spars at about 1/2 cost after discussing with the seller.

The second pair lasted a few more years before the LEDs started to come loose on both spars. The adhesive was giving up and the LED light strings were falling back out of the spar.
I had had enough by then and removed them for good.

Incidentally the adhesive failure was also starting to occur with one spar of the first set as well.

YMMV.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 08:08 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

^People don't realize a lot of aftermarket parts are often not well tested for vibration, long term durability, extreme cold/hot weather, etc.

Sure LED module itself lasts forever but it's usually the sodering or the cheap circuit and/or wiring that gives out first.
Spokayman (01-31-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 11:12 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Sure LED module itself lasts forever but it's usually the soldering or the cheap circuit and/or wiring that gives out first.
Yeah, and it's not just the guy making them "in his basement." Auto manufacturers haven't yet perfected LED applications for long-term use. I see "newish" vehicles every day with failed factory LEDs. It's especially common with those garish decorative strips around headlamps on pickups.

One more thing...When you remove the factory fog lamps, be sure to package and store them. The next guy will probably want them back on the car..."Factory original" and all that...
The following 2 users liked this post by TMc993:
Spokayman (01-31-2023), visitador (02-03-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 07:56 PM
josephsdesimone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I agree with these spars do update the look of the 987.1 Cayman, but unfortunately I had a bad experience and/or bad luck with this particular product.
I have had two separate failures of these spars.
The first issue was several LEDs failing in the middle of the light string after just a couple years.

I replaced both spars at about 1/2 cost after discussing with the seller.

The second pair lasted a few more years before the LEDs started to come loose on both spars. The adhesive was giving up and the LED light strings were falling back out of the spar.
I had had enough by then and removed them for good.

Incidentally the adhesive failure was also starting to occur with one spar of the first set as well.

YMMV.
​​​​​​
[img]cid:EFF6A3EA-91F4-4BDF-A203-72AC214CC56B[/img][img]cid:A054B279-CD38-4A24-8A1B-B10099CD73C4[/img][img]cid:FA437D37-A795-4941-B53D-1EB90FFC479A[/img][img]cid:B296967E-52A1-41FA-8327-A26BBBA8EA34[/img]

History of Improvements - 2006-2008 Cayman LED Spars with Radiator Guards

Hello, Spokayman,

I'm disappointed to read that you experienced an issue with your replacement set. Please email me and I'll be happy to make it right for you. By the way, you or others may be interested to read about my ongoing efforts to deliver the most reliable product possible. As I often say, a satisfied customer is my most important product! Here is the history of my improvements:

1) My first generation (1/7/12 - 6/7/15) product suffered a larger than the electronics industry average failure rate as I was unable to economically source a more robust LED array. Its weak link was the surface-mount LEDs which suffered frequent cold solder joints. When a cold solder joint developed on the circuit board, it would dim or completely take out three LEDs (three LEDs per circuit).

2) On 6/8/15, I began shipping my second generation product utilizing a custom made printed circuit board that accommodated through-hole mounted LEDs. This resulted in a significant reduction in cold solder joint failures.

3) Still unsatisfied, on 3/10/18 I began shipping my third generation LED spars/guards with another improvement. In lieu of a 15 LED one-piece PCB (printed circuit board), I redesigned the LED array to consist of 15 separate linked PCBs, each PCB with an independent LED/resistor combination (see the image of the LED arrays with the white PCB). With each PCB now isolated from the neighboring PCBs, the LEDs' ability to isolate impacts was greatly improved. Brighter and whiter LEDs were now available so they too were incorporated. These have already proven to be much more reliable.

4) Then on 4/25/20, to eliminate 33% of potential cold-solder joint failures, I redesigned the PCBs to have redundant positive (+) and negative (-) solder pads, energized via continuous buss-wires rather than the previous separate jumpers (this is version 3.1, seen in the attached images with the green PCBs). Also, I began using a more expensive, better bonding, quicker curing (minutes not hours) thermoplastic potting material. I call this version 3.1 because I utilized the same brightest, whitest LEDs and resistors that were used in version 3.0.

5) On 3/20/21 began shipping version 3.2. This is the same as the 3.1 utilizing a similar PCB however manufactured with thicker (stronger) copper traces within the PCB, and larger solder-pads yielding a stronger solder connection on the face of the red PCBs (these are the LED arrays with the red PCB). I’m also utilizing a stronger silver solder (Sn62/Pb36/Ag2). All five versions' external component (the “spar”) is molded in polypropylene T-20, the same material Porsche uses to mold the Caymans’ original equipment fog-light spars.

Please let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Thanks again!

Joseph S. DeSimone
Central Optional Products
53 Indian Fields Trail
Lower Burrell, PA 15068
Cell: 412-480-6250
copjsd@comcast.net
LEDspars.com

Last edited by josephsdesimone; 01-31-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 05:35 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Yeah, and it's not just the guy making them "in his basement." Auto manufacturers haven't yet perfected LED applications for long-term use. I see "newish" vehicles every day with failed factory LEDs. It's especially common with those garish decorative strips around headlamps on pickups.

One more thing...When you remove the factory fog lamps, be sure to package and store them. The next guy will probably want them back on the car..."Factory original" and all that...
Exactly. When I bought the Cayman, it came with the spars. Not sure what was done in the original install, but it would not turn off for awhile after I removed the key from the ignition. Also, not all were on but would turn on if I pushed them. Maybe an earlier model, as stated by @josephsdesimone. Anyway, the prior owner gave me the factory fog lamp parts, so I went back to original. Ditto with the aftermarket LED lights, which were giving me the fog light warning sign (for that, I believe it is a resistor issue). So car is all back to stock now.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:42 PM
crowell33
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are you using for the headlights? Just different bulbs? If so, care to share which ones?

Thank you!
Old 02-07-2023, 06:42 PM
AD33
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 987 LED spars - Huge upgrade!

Joe, I recently purchased your spars for my 2008 Cayman S. I am considering adding a mesh grill to my center radiator scoop to protect it from debris as well. Do you know where one can be purchased to match the mesh you used? Is it possible to get some of that mesh raw to make a custom grill (if none are available).
Old 02-15-2023, 12:08 AM
Mansu944
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

They’d look so much nicer as a bar instead of individual LED’s.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mansu944:
ekam (02-15-2023), Zepper (08-28-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 06:16 PM
josephsdesimone
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by visitador
Exactly. When I bought the Cayman, it came with the spars. Not sure what was done in the original install, but it would not turn off for awhile after I removed the key from the ignition. Also, not all were on but would turn on if I pushed them. Maybe an earlier model, as stated by @josephsdesimone. Anyway, the prior owner gave me the factory fog lamp parts, so I went back to original. Ditto with the aftermarket LED lights, which were giving me the fog light warning sign (for that, I believe it is a resistor issue). So car is all back to stock now.
Thanks for your response, visitador! Just so nobody is mislead, my LEDspars.com when properly installed will not trip a warning light. All my best! Joe
Old 08-11-2023, 12:35 PM
Boxster Bill
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi @kbod , @hueyhoolihan and anyone else that has switched over to the led spars: I would love to go back to OEM lights and trims on a 2007 Cayman S I recently purchased. Any chance someone would sell me their removed stock parts? I am in SoCal. Reply or PM me if interested

Thanks
Old 08-28-2023, 03:02 PM
WTFisTrue
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a base 987.1 and every time I saw a picture of the 987 it had those circular fog lights, but mine does not. Turns out it has the LED spars. I figured they were aftermarket but didn’t know for sure. Now I know thanks to this thread. I’m glad a previous owner had them installed because it looks much better then the stock fog lights.
hueyhoolihan (08-31-2023)

Quick Reply: 987 LED spars - Huge upgrade!