Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

2010 Boxster - coolant sensor and crankcase breather hose questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2022 | 12:36 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

Question 2010 Boxster - coolant sensor and crankcase breather hose questions

Hi all. A couple of weeks ago, my water pump gave out and had to be replaced. As I was driving it home from the shop, my ‘check coolant’ light came on and the car started acting funky. I chatted with the shop and eventually we arrived at the conclusion it was probably the sensor, since the coolant level was fine and just turning on the key (not running) would trigger the fans and lights.
I ordered the part after doing some YouTube research and figured I’d save another tow to the shop plus labor.
However, when I got the engine cover off and located the sensor, it is completely different than what I saw online for 987s. Evidently in the .2 there are additional parts that impede access. While maneuvering to get to it, a hose (9A110751501 crankcase breather hose) just snapped in half - evidently they tend to get brittle with age.

So - my questions:
- how do I actually remove the sensor? A deep, deep socket? A wrench? I checked the new one against every tool I have and I don’t have a big enough size (diameter) to fit it.
- the hose…it snapped around halfway. Could I thermal tape the hose and cover it in a rubber sheath from end to end as opposed to replacing the entire assembly?
- is there any advantage to cleaning the visible engine surfaces while I am in there? If so, what should I use? Should I be concerned about the chalky texture that looks like corrosion but is not - I am assuming it is the result of dried moisture?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2022 | 12:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

My takes:

- It seems way too coincidental that the coolant sensor failed right after the coolant was drained and refilled. I'm thinking there was air trapped in the system. Shop should've used a vacuum tool to refill it, and even when I've used a vacuum tool I've still had some air that had to work its way out.

- I'm sure you could patch that hose with some silicone self-fusing tape or something similar. But if it's that old and brittle the smart money is just on replacing the whole thing
Old 11-04-2022 | 12:54 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

I think the sensor is what actually caused the issue with the water pump. The temp gauge hadn’t ever gone past the middle point in the past 5 years. Then suddenly on the highway the car started sputtering and it was lit up like a Christmas tree. I was able to get it home after adding 5 or so containers of coolant and water. By that time, the water pump was toast - grinding and churning.
Old 11-06-2022 | 06:33 PM
scottmcdaniel
Advanced

In the never-ending drama that is my car trying to give me a stroke, I started the install of a replacement sensor. After eventually locating a deep welled 22mm socket, moving several tubes/pipes out of the way I was able to loosen and remove the old one.
I was happy to see a little coolant flow out as I put the new in. I hand tightened it and gave it about a 1/2 turn with a wrench - whereupon it immediately snapped in half, leaving everything below the threads in the hole.

After cursing for several minutes, I called it a day. So I’ve already ordered *another* sensor and when it arrives I guess I’ll use a small screwdriver or something to gently remove it and try again.

Quick Reply: 2010 Boxster - coolant sensor and crankcase breather hose questions