Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Cayman 987.2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 04:21 AM
kam987.2
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Cayman 987.2 Build

Hello all,

I just wanted to start a forum thread to document my journey thus far and have a place for the future mods. My name is Kamron and I recently picked up my 2009 Cayman Base PDK in January of 2022. I'm a Mercedes guy at heart, but when I had the opportunity to pick up a Cayman I jumped on it and haven't looked back since. I absolutely LOVE this car, and probably would only trade it for a newer Porsche haha. Just a side note: this car is my daily driver hence why I got the PDK.

Services done to the car after purchase with approx 59k miles and at the time of writing this a little over 61k miles.
- Full PDK service
- Spark Plugs (made the biggest difference)
- Rear Brake Pad Change

Wanted to include some stock pics before getting to the fun stuff. Taken at SoFi Stadium (LA locals HMU) on the Canon EOS R with 24-105 F4 for my photographers out there!

You'll notice throughout this thread there aren't too many pics of the rear and I love the front and side so much the rear gets left out a lot haha.

Now for the fun stuff. What is life without modding your car. It's a blank canvas, and here is my interpretation:

1. New Head Unit. I couldn't justify spending tons of money on one since I only wanted Wireless Apple CarPlay, but in hindsight probably should've went with a Kenwood, but this Boss Audio one has worked great so far! I bought pretty much everything from Crutchfield, and it went smoothly!

2. Painted the brake calipers by myself (done before on my previous car) Porsche Acid Green. The paint was from Spectral Paints on eBay, and I used VHT High Temp Primer, and VHT High Temp Clear over it and the decals. Decals are also High Temp from R&G Decals.

3. Wheels!
This set is an absolute dream wheel of mine no matter how much it has been done. TE the world as they say! I wanted bronze initially, but Rays specifically makes the Porsche Cayman 987/981 spec in the TE37 Ultra Track Edition II's in Blast Black. I did a render on a Cayman R and figured I'd pull the trigger. Wheelflip in Whittier, CA, had a set in stock at a great price so I snagged them without having to wait!

Render:

Reality:

Specs on the wheels:
Front - 19x8.5 et40 on 245/35/19 Continental ExtremeContact Sport (Wanted to run 235/40/19, but they were definitely too big)
Rear - 19x10 et36 on 275/35/19 Continental ExtremeContact Sport (Could definitely fit a wider tire, but not necessary)

That's all I got for now, but let me know what you all think so far! Cayman R stripe is the next order as well as refinishing the lug bolts. Coilovers are definitely on the list as well as the Sport mode from the dealer. If you have any other mods to do first/next let me know!
The following 3 users liked this post by kam987.2:
CAinCA (09-29-2022), fouckhest (09-29-2022), SFZ GT3 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 04:55 PM
SFZ GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Fantastic first post on your build. And a great start! Thumbs up on all your mods so far, especially the RAYS wheels. Really makes a difference. Looking forward to going along for the ride!
Old 09-29-2022, 11:44 PM
kam987.2
AutoX

Originally Posted by SFZ GT3
Fantastic first post on your build. And a great start! Thumbs up on all your mods so far, especially the RAYS wheels. Really makes a difference. Looking forward to going along for the ride!
Appreciate the kind words! I've gone through my do it as cheap as possible phase with my last car, and now that I'm in the Porsche world I gotta do it right. Hopefully I can bring some new mods before the end of the year, these RAYS definitely set me back a pretty penny haha.
The following users liked this post:
Rocket3004 (09-30-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 11:37 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 92 Posts

Lugs need to be black. Rays are cool
Old 10-02-2022, 07:21 PM
kam987.2
AutoX

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Lugs need to be black. Rays are cool
That's the plan! Just haven't had the chance to get to it yet haha. Appreciate the feedback!
Old 10-03-2022, 10:02 AM
fouckhest
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kam987.2
That's the plan! Just haven't had the chance to get to it yet haha. Appreciate the feedback!
Stud conversion
Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 PM
Boblee
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good 👍 your car seems lower than stock, has it got pasm or springs?

I’ve got a black 987.2 that looked just like yours at the beginning too. Done similar mods to you. I changed my tail lights and got my tail pipe tips paint black.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:39 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

I just got a 987.2 Cayman 2.9 PDK

Wish list:

Sport Design steering wheel with paddles. Really want something that operates the same as my appliance car, a Ford Fusion 2.0 Turbo with paddles.

New head unit that includes:
Monitor for backup camera (two-channel for front camera also would be a bonus)
Can play CDs.
Bluetooth for hands-free with my iPhone
Physical volume **** would be a bonus.

The CDR-30 in there now does all of this but no backup camera monitor. Finding a place for a separate backup monitor looks pretty clunky. Wa thinking about the sunvisor location instead of the stock vanity mirror. If I went wifi, I could pirate the wires for the vanity lights for power. Don't know to physically take out the vanity mirror and lights and make it all fit right. My Chevy Kodiak has a factory hardwired system in the sunvisor and it works great, even though it's black & white.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:57 AM
kam987.2
AutoX

Originally Posted by Boblee
Looking good 👍 your car seems lower than stock, has it got pasm or springs?

I’ve got a black 987.2 that looked just like yours at the beginning too. Done similar mods to you. I changed my tail lights and got my tail pipe tips paint black.
I'm actually on stock non-pasm suspension! I found the angles that don't make the car look like a monster truck haha.

I definitely need to lower it though. The rear height doesn't bother me too much, but the front is killing me how high it is.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:58 AM
kam987.2
AutoX

Originally Posted by FlipE
I just got a 987.2 Cayman 2.9 PDK

Wish list:

Sport Design steering wheel with paddles. Really want something that operates the same as my appliance car, a Ford Fusion 2.0 Turbo with paddles.

New head unit that includes:
Monitor for backup camera (two-channel for front camera also would be a bonus)
Can play CDs.
Bluetooth for hands-free with my iPhone
Physical volume **** would be a bonus.

The CDR-30 in there now does all of this but no backup camera monitor. Finding a place for a separate backup monitor looks pretty clunky. Wa thinking about the sunvisor location instead of the stock vanity mirror. If I went wifi, I could pirate the wires for the vanity lights for power. Don't know to physically take out the vanity mirror and lights and make it all fit right. My Chevy Kodiak has a factory hardwired system in the sunvisor and it works great, even though it's black & white.
Sport Design steering wheel is definitely on my list, but honestly don't find myself using the paddles all that much. I imagine it's because how much I dislike the OEM ones haha

Good luck with your mods!
Old 11-07-2022, 02:15 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by kam987.2
Sport Design steering wheel is definitely on my list, but honestly don't find myself using the paddles all that much. I imagine it's because how much I dislike the OEM ones haha

Good luck with your mods!
May stick with the current radio since I cant figure out where to put the backup camera.

Got the Sport Design wheel with the paddles. Light-years better than the original buttons. And they work the same as the paddles in my appliance car and the cars of each of my daughters. Don't need a car that works on a different pattern. Now I can practice in my winter car...
Old 12-10-2022, 08:22 PM
kam987.2
AutoX

Default End of 2022 Update

Didn't want to updated the thread until I took some epic pics, and here she is. 90% done!

Updates:
  1. Cayman R decals
  2. Finally got rid of the rusted lugs, with new ECS tuning black wheel lug bolts and OEM black locking wheel lug bolts.
Pictures taken on Canon EOS R with 24-105 F4 lens!

The following users liked this post:
Glue Guy (12-12-2022)

Quick Reply: My Cayman 987.2 Build