Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sierra Auto Tops - DIY Experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 12:25 AM
juvenescence
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Sierra Auto Tops - DIY Experience

Just a quick preface, this is my first time ever disassembling and reassembling a convertible top so a lot of this was new to me.

That being said, this isn't meant to be a guide or a review of the top, just what I experienced replacing my OEM top.

Right off the bat, there are some notable changes from the OEM version. There are several tension strings on the top that is supposed to connect to the rack, but these strings on the aftermarket top are simply strings, Sierra Auto Tops expects you to have the tools to retether them to the existing points on the rack. One pair of these are connected to the rack using rivets; the string on the aftermarket does not have any rivets nor does it terminate in a way that would allow you to connect to the rivet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it connected.

Another thing. The elastic that fails quickly on these tops, they have holes in them that allows you to adjust the tension. The aftermarket does not have any holes, you have to make them yourself. If that is the only issue plaguing your current top (the top doesn't seat correctly in the side channels), do yourself a favor and just buy some button-hole elastic and sew it on yourself, you'll save yourself a ton of trouble.

One last thing, and this one is on me. There is one additional tension rope that goes between your headliner and top. It's actually a separate part number and will likely need to be replaced if you're replacing your top due to age. Part number for that is 987-561-773-01. I also did not know that piece is also elastic, nor that it was a separate part.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:30 AM
juvenescence
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot another thing that probably falls under "tools that SAT expects you to have": Porsche uses quite a bit of adhesive tape in the top to put it together, I used 3m VHB table as an alternative.

I bought the "German A5" fabric instead of the Stayfast. While not identical, I would say that it is very very close to the fabric they use on the OEM, even if there are other parts of the top where they clearly subbed out for a more economical version.

Quick Reply: Sierra Auto Tops - DIY Experience