Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Boxster S coolant leak and idle squeak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 11:31 PM
phraca
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 08 Boxster S coolant leak and idle squeak

Just got a beautiful 08 Boxster S Design Edition 2 about a month ago with just under 40k miles.

On my way home from work I noticed a once per rev squeak when stopped in gear (tiptronic). I could hear it with the top down, but wasn’t sure if it was me or another car. By the time I got home it was obvious it was me and I saw there was coolant leaking. Temp gauge never moved from dead center.

I also put a few things together and realized the little dark spots on the right rear quarter that showed up a few days ago was coolant getting thrown by the wheels, since now there was a lot more. I had thought maybe I had driven through a mud puddle.

I’m about 90% sure it’s the water pump after searching the forums here.

A few questions…. Anything else it might be besides the pump? Is it safe to drive to the shop if I top off the coolant, take it slow and watch the temp gage?

Thanks in advance.

Edited to add a photo of the car. 😀

Last edited by phraca; 06-20-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:19 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

I don't know how far your shop is, but I would favor the side of caution and use that AAA card and get it towed to the shop. The worst parts of a failed water pump are the possible seizing of it, which will not only burn up and snap your serpentine belt, but also have hard debris from the water pump fan blade break off and works it's way into the cooling system and engine. If you are driving and this happens you are guaranteed to lose power steering, alternator power, and overheat within minutes. Have it towed, better safe than sorry. Best of luck and hopefully that is all that is the problem. I have an 08 Boxster S as well and absolutely love it. Keep us posted on what you find/repair.
The following users liked this post:
cavediver32043 (06-22-2022)
Old 06-21-2022, 11:42 PM
phraca
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by qikqbn
I don't know how far your shop is, but I would favor the side of caution and use that AAA card and get it towed to the shop. The worst parts of a failed water pump are the possible seizing of it, which will not only burn up and snap your serpentine belt, but also have hard debris from the water pump fan blade break off and works it's way into the cooling system and engine. If you are driving and this happens you are guaranteed to lose power steering, alternator power, and overheat within minutes. Have it towed, better safe than sorry. Best of luck and hopefully that is all that is the problem. I have an 08 Boxster S as well and absolutely love it. Keep us posted on what you find/repair.
Thanks for the advice! Only $70 to tow it in, which was worth avoiding the risk of more damage. Took it to an independent shop since my local Porsche dealer is booked out 1 month. They confirmed it was the water pump, which according to the records I have, has never been replaced, although the thermostat was replaced at some point recently. Pump should be replaced tomorrow and I should be on my way.
The following 2 users liked this post by phraca:
cavediver32043 (06-22-2022), qikqbn (06-22-2022)

Quick Reply: 08 Boxster S coolant leak and idle squeak