Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 11:58 AM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Brembo Rotors?

Anyone have any experience with the Brembo replacement rotors for a 2006 Cayman S? They are half the cost of the Porsche branded ones, and Brembo is a quality name. Just curios if anyone has ay feedback. Thanks

Last edited by Bernie987; 05-21-2022 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 05:28 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

i bought two rotors and two sets of pads for my 2007 987.1 base cayman for less than 100 dollars delivered. they are ENTIRELY satisfactory. the rotors were about $30 each. having owned a number of cars with disc brakes over the years, it didn't surprise me that they could be had for that price. ...not at all. there is no difference, IMO (not talking about performance track-oriented rotors/pads here) between the OEM ones and the rotors on your average economy car, except for size.

BTW, i'm pretty sure (check me on it) that brembo supplies the brakes for porsche sports cars. porsche does NOT make brakes or any part of the brake system. nor does it ask brembo to do anything special (except perhaps in the most expensive cars like the GTS's et. al.) in their manufacture for them. except to put them in a box marked with the porsche label. this is SOP for most "prestige" manufacturers branded parts on cars these days. they are in fact, average parts that are on other ordinary cars. for the most part only the interior, body panels, and drivetrain are bespoke porsche parts. they don't make the tires (pirelli, michlien), wheels (speedline, bbs), brakes (brembo), shocks (bilstein), fuel injection systems and DME, ECU, etc. (bosch), stero system (bose, bang and oaflesson ) the list goes on and on and on.

porsche, and others like them, is for the most part a car assembler. they manufacture very little. they usually own stamping plants, paint shops, and the molds for the body panels and are instrumental in their design along with the design of their interiors and the manufacture of the engines. everything else is contracted out to other companies that rely on additional clients like mercedes, fiat, renault, bmw and the like for their income. and if they DO find it necessary to ask their OEM supplier for a custom part (usually to accommodate some superficial design element that the advertising department deemed "essential") then you can rest assured that it will cost the consumer a king's ransom.

they, the OEM companies, may very well sell the same parts to other car manufacturers that are in turn sold to the public as OEM parts for their brand of cars, at unbeknownst to the public, VASTLY different prices.

...that's the LONG answer

the short one is no. i have no experience with the brembo branded substitutes, but i have a suspicion that they are identical to the porsche ones excepting the label on the box.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-21-2022 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:39 PM
emjohn43
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I have brembo on the front, and stop-tec on the rear. Or, maybe it's the other way around. Rockauto was doing a closeout sale on them, and they were ~$15/ea two years ago when I bought them.

Regardless of if they're the front or rear of my 987 - they fit, work, stop just like OEM. Go for it.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:12 PM
schell
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

I have Sebro slotted no difference in feel, I would not buy Porsche cross drilled, they are really expensive and crack if you drive it like a Porsche,
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (05-27-2022)
Old 05-26-2022, 10:37 AM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Sebros from FCPEuro here. When they wear out, I’ll buy new ones and get a refund on the worn ones from FCPEuro, including brake pads.

They offer a Ferodo upgrade, but even with a track day, these were fine and I haven’t identified any deficiencies in the 5000 mikes I’ve had them on.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:59 AM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I am within days of buying Sebros from FCPEuro for all of the reasons stated above.
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (05-27-2022)
Old 05-27-2022, 10:39 AM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

The kit was great and they helpfully suggestive sold me the caliper bolts, too. Delivery to the west coast was really quick, ordering on Sunday with delivery by Friday.

Solid fan of those guys.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:25 AM
safetyjoe
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Where the heck did you get Brembo rotors for $30 each?

Quick Reply: Brembo Rotors?