Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tough is a starter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default How tough is a starter replacement?

Pretty sure my starter is on its way out. Yesterday, after a long drive, when I went to restart it I heard a loud click from the engine area, but no crank. Released key and tried again and it fired right up. Honestly didn't think twice about it. Just now hopped in to go run some errands and same issue, except it will click a dozen times or twice before it cranks over. Completely random. I'll check battery voltage and lines later today when I have time, but just trying to get myself ready for a starter install. Is it that bad?
Old 05-10-2022, 12:13 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Topshelf
Pretty sure my starter is on its way out. Yesterday, after a long drive, when I went to restart it I heard a loud click from the engine area, but no crank. Released key and tried again and it fired right up. Honestly didn't think twice about it. Just now hopped in to go run some errands and same issue, except it will click a dozen times or twice before it cranks over. Completely random. I'll check battery voltage and lines later today when I have time, but just trying to get myself ready for a starter install. Is it that bad?
You don't say how old your battery is but I would rule that out first.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 12:22 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Oh yeah, I'll 100% look into the battery and the lines first. I don't know how old it is, tonight I'll see if there's a date code on it when I go to test. I'm also assuming that iCarsoft has a live data feature where I can read voltage levels while trying to crank. It's a 2010, so assuming 6 year battery life that would make sense, but it's very different from any other weak battery I've ever experienced over the years. I would expect a slow crank, but it's just a loud click. Then when it does start it's instantaneously. Very odd. But yes, will check battery first.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:36 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

Received 206 Likes on 161 Posts

Porsche Boxster Starter Replacement - 986 / 987 (1997-08) - Pelican Parts Technical Article
Old 05-10-2022, 12:50 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Thanks. Seems both doable and a pita. lol. Typical, but good to know.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:45 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Ok, so battery checked out good. 12.4v on first test. There's also a sticker on it that reads 11/21, so I'm taking that as it's basically brand new.

I took a video of the clicking noise I get while trying to start it as well as a reading from iCarsoft showing the voltage reading during the process. It drops from 12.3v to 11.9v basically, but I believe that to be perfectly normal considering the starter is locking up or something.

I'm about to order one up, but would love to hear any ideas before I do as the OEM version is over $500 and 2 weeks out. :/

Thanks
Old 05-10-2022, 08:43 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

electric starter motors on cars are very simple devices... *tuneless whistling*
DIY Starter Motor Rebuild - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
just a thought... might want to check your battery ground wire. the starter pulls a lot more juice than the rest of the car and needs a good one. easy enough.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-10-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:05 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by hueyhoolihan
just a thought... might want to check your battery ground wire. the starter pulls a lot more juice than the rest of the car and needs a good one. easy enough.
Is the ground wire just the short run from the negative terminal to the frame? About 1 foot long?
Old 05-10-2022, 09:30 PM
hueyhoolihan
Pro

most likely, there should be markings on the tops or to the side of each terminal noting its polarity. + and -

should be tight and no evidence of corrosion.

Last edited by hueyhoolihan; 05-10-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:32 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Ok thanks. I know the negative side, just wanted to make sure I was checking the wire you were referencing. Wasn't sure if there was something in the engine bay I wasn't aware of.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:43 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Good suggestions to check the ground cable, but honestly it sounds like the battery probably has the necessary voltage is too weak to support the current necessary to start. I'd stop by your local parts store and ask for a free battery health test. They have a system that will give you a quick answer prior to buying.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Agreed. I checked the ground cable. It's clean and tight, as well as all other battery connections.

Tried tapping the starter body while the wife cranked it, nothing but clicking.

Messed with the key as that was a recommendation.

Tried jump starting it from the 958, no luck.

Now have it on my small battery charger and to my surprise, it showed it at 25% charge. Can't imagine that happened from trying to start it yesterday. So letting it get a full charge in, and will attempt later today. If it starts, guess I need to consider battery and/or alternator at that point.

Will update in a few hours either way.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:00 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

If you're at 25% charge, the battery is likely toast. It's not going to "come back" when discharged that low. I recommend replacing it.

A low battery can prevent the car from starting just as you describe... there's not enough current to turn the motor over in that state, so all you'll get is clicks...
Old 05-11-2022, 04:45 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Battery is still a possibility, but a confusing one if so as there was multiple starts in between the clicking while testing in the driveway yesterday morning before it finally said no more. So I'm struggling to understand how a dead battery could start the car twice, then not for a few attempts, then start it again. Followed by never again. lol
So yeah, I have no clue atm. Current meter reading at the posts now has the battery up to 13.2v while the charger is still flashing in the 75% range. This is up from a starting reading of 12v. I'm going to give it a few more hours as it should reach 13.5v I think by tonight. If it fails to start then, I'll remove and take to a battery shop for testing. Just would hate to drop $200 to find out the battery was fine. But let's be honest, either that battery, the alternator or the starter is going to need replacement. Just want to know which one it definitely is.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:15 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you drive the car between starting/not starting attempts? A warm/hot starter requires more current than a cold one. Just speculation, or more likely, another totally useless fact to file away for later.

Quick Reply: How tough is a starter replacement?