Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I do/What would you do here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 07:00 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
I mean, the car's been driving okay so far with one bolt doing nothing, so if you fix that at least it'll be better than it previously was.
the car is tight, no creaks, no bumps, no jolts, no squeaks even. I'm thinking just to replace the long bolt and then leave it
Old 04-24-2022, 10:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemCLone
the car is tight, no creaks, no bumps, no jolts, no squeaks even. I'm thinking just to replace the long bolt and then leave it
Exactly...99.999% of Porsche owners would have never been under their car and certainly wouldn't have noticed this anomaly...Just replace the weird bolt and drive the car...The engine's not gonna fall out.
Old 04-29-2022, 04:44 PM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 81 Posts

UPDATE on my odd-sized transmission bolt. It took over a week to get the right bolt from Pelican Parts, got it today. Could not find it elsewhere. I raised the rear, put it on jack stands, and removed the transmission pan cover.
I needed a ½"-16mm socket on a long breaker bar to loosen it. I had a hard time at the end, removing it, as it hit the driveshaft boot, but wiggled it out.
The new bolt is the correct Porsche part. It went in easily, torqued to 63 ft lbs.
The transmission pan cover and most of the underside seems to be hit with a flat-black rattle-can. I cleaned off the pan cover and the aluminum support bars, and most of the underside.
Pan bolts were torqued to 48 ft. Lbs.
It was satisfying, not terribly dirty and I'm glad it's fixed. No, I did not remove any other bolts to check for sizing.

Better view of the too-long bolt

Correct Bolt

Correct Bolt in Place

Cleaned up underside

The following 3 users liked this post by ClemCLone:
MrMoose (04-29-2022), mtbrdad (05-07-2022), TMc993 (04-29-2022)

Quick Reply: What should I do/What would you do here?