Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking issue and no brakes (already replaced AOS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 12:38 AM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Smoking issue and no brakes (already replaced AOS)

So I'm very confused by my current issue with my 2008 987.1 Cayman S and I ran out of ideas so I wanted to reach out to the interwebs to see what ideas you guys (and girls) had.

So here's the scenario:
- Car: 2008 987.1 Cayman S (manual GTB1 car so full track spec)
- Issue: While running down at Summit on track, my car started spitting out smoke from both exhaust pipes (at the top of the crest on Shenandoah when you pass under the bridge where you let off of the throttle as you crest the hill). At the same time, the power assisted brakes gave out too (manual brakes only).
- Context/Track Side Fixes: Took it right into the pits and reviewed the data. No oil pressure drop so that was good. The car had a motorsports AOS on it but I figured lets replace it anyway so I installed a spare motorsports AOS and the smoke looked to clear up but I never regained power brakes. Went out and set a lap time 4 seconds off my prior best :-D. So all the power was there. But then the issue came up again. Same deal. Was running fine til about 22ish minutes into the HPDE session then it smoked out the track (pics for clicks below).

After getting the car home, I checked the Motorsports AOS with a manometer and it tested within range (original Motorsports AOS tested fine too). Car idles fine but smokes like crazy. When I pull the oil cap, it runs like garbage and has a decent vacuum in the crankcase.

So then I smoke tested the brake boosted and that is not holding vacuum so that is certainly busted. So brake booster = broken. Need to replace that for sure. I verified I can hold vacuum the oil pump (part # 99710702201) and the brake booster so that line is solid. Tomorrow I'm going to verify I get vacuum from the oil pump going to the brake booster.

I cannot imagine that a broken brake booster is the only issue I'm running into now. Feels like more to it but maybe not.

Thoughts?

Last edited by GetBoosted; 04-23-2022 at 12:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BondJ (04-23-2022)
Old 04-23-2022, 01:39 AM
BondJ
Pro

Received 330 Likes on 228 Posts

So, the car looses brake assist, chucks out white smoke…and you go for a another lap? Now THAT’S commitment! Way to go, love it!

Last edited by BondJ; 04-23-2022 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-23-2022, 01:40 AM
BondJ
Pro

By the way, you may have blown a head gasket…
Old 04-23-2022, 01:50 AM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BondJ
So, the car looses bake assist, chucks out white smoke…and you go for a another lap? Now THAT’S commitment! Way to go, love it!
lol, thx.

Originally Posted by BondJ
By the way, you may have blown a head gasket…
That occurred to me as well. I'm going to do a compression & leak down test as well. That being said, I would expect for there to be a nasty milkshake waiting for me in the oil but I pulled a sample (not a full drain yet) and it looked great (lol, only had ~4 hours on it so still very clear). One other thing to note... the car will idle fine and then if I pull the oil cap while idling, I get great vacuum and the car will start running rough while the cap is off. So the crankcase looks to be holding normal vacuum.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:01 AM
BondJ
Pro

You may get lucky, the engine’s a tough pup. But white smoke under load usually means water is mixing with oil somewhere. Whatever, I’d definitely be framing those photos, at lest 8”x10”!
Old 04-23-2022, 10:42 PM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Vacuum pump is shot too. Not getting any vacuum on the port coming off the vacuum pump that runs to the brake booster. So I'm ordering up one of those too.

Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.
Old 04-29-2022, 09:58 AM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

lol, well that explains the lack of vacuum going to the brake booster.

Need to do more testing still but I figured I would share in case someone else runs into this unfortunate situation.

one of these things is not like the other
The following users liked this post:
qwe (05-07-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

These motors dont blow head gaskets...period.

That vacuum pump is a tandem pump so it has a scavenge side. If its not scavenging the oil from the head, you will overwhelm even the motorsport aos.

Why the cam drive tab broke though is an important question
Old 05-03-2022, 12:26 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Is this 981 thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...-cayman-s.html ) discussing the failure of the same part but with much more damage?

Old 05-03-2022, 02:17 PM
fouckhest
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TMc993
Is this 981 thread ( https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...-cayman-s.html ) discussing the failure of the same part but with much more damage?
Interesting, certainly going to take a look at the pump when I do my AOS.
Old 05-03-2022, 05:20 PM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I'm going to take the old one apart to investigate. There was no wear scar on the key itself indicating a gap or ill fitting part and the old pump does still operate (squirts oil from the top). However it's hard to tell if it's worn or not from the outside. I'll see if there is some wear scaring inside. My hope is that there is which would indicate why it may have had some drag or issues like that to explain why the key would have failed in that way.

Originally Posted by TMc993
Christ yeah that's a mess. That's a catastrophic failure. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the casting failed. That could be an after effect of a seized pump though.

Quick Reply: Smoking issue and no brakes (already replaced AOS)