Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another broken cup holder with a different problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 10:32 AM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 165 Posts
Question Another broken cup holder with a different problem

I have done some searching on the web regarding the issue my wife is having on her Spyder's cupholders, however, I have not found any posts that address the issue she's experiencing. All the post I have found are about the arm being stuck or the arm/cover hinge being broken. The problem she's having is that one of the arms works as expected but the other arm just pops out. It doesn't come out slowly and controlled. I know it must have something to do with the gear that controls the deployment, but, everything I have read discusses it being stuck or binding due to the grease drying out. She's having the exact opposite problem. Has anyone here experienced the same issue and, if so, is there a DIY fix or does the whole unit need to be replaced ($$$). I told her she should just live with it, but that didn't go over too well.
Old 03-22-2022, 01:28 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

I have the same issue on my 08 Cayman. There is a broken piece. If I push the cup holder in and hold it, I can close the cover and it keeps it shut. They don't sell the individual part, just the whole assembly. Someone may be able to 3D print. Surprised there isn't a market for that.

Good luck.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:39 AM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I think I broke the door on mine and it won’t stay shut. Ugh. Anyone ever had luck replacing the center door bit? Is it possible?
Old 03-23-2022, 11:04 AM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbasa
I think I broke the door on mine and it won’t stay shut. Ugh. Anyone ever had luck replacing the center door bit? Is it possible?
It's possible yes. I had a similar problem I fixed earlier this year.
I got a partially broken unit from a dismantler. You can remove the long hinge pin from the center cover. You need to remove one end of the smaller end cap the same way. You need to be careful with the closure springs.
My problem was the center door closure tab in the center of the lid. The lid would not stay closed. Also, the small tab on one of the cup holders had broken, not keeping it in. I fixed that part.
I managed to replace the broken center lid wit the one from the damaged cup holder. It took some time to thread the long hinge rod and set the springs, but it worked.

Center door hinge spring

End cap hinge

Cup Holder latch pin. small plastic pin breaks a lot

My center latch had broken here. It's not a very secure design as it's a weak point. I had to epoxy it back in place after removing the door.

Last edited by ClemCLone; 03-23-2022 at 11:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 10:54 PM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemCLone
It's possible yes. I had a similar problem I fixed earlier this year.
I got a partially broken unit from a dismantler. You can remove the long hinge pin from the center cover. You need to remove one end of the smaller end cap the same way. You need to be careful with the closure springs.
My problem was the center door closure tab in the center of the lid. The lid would not stay closed. Also, the small tab on one of the cup holders had broken, not keeping it in. I fixed that part.
I managed to replace the broken center lid wit the one from the damaged cup holder. It took some time to thread the long hinge rod and set the springs, but it worked.

Center door hinge spring

End cap hinge

Cup Holder latch pin. small plastic pin breaks a lot

My center latch had broken here. It's not a very secure design as it's a weak point. I had to epoxy it back in place after removing the door.
This is super helpful. My cup holders are fine, so this is great to see. I’ll go fishing for a busted one. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2022, 07:03 AM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

After attempting to fix mine several times (broken in the same place), I ended up buying one of the knock-off aftermarket replacements from URO for around $150 from Summit Racing. Works perfectly and quite a bit cheaper than the Porsche alternative.

Last edited by palestar; 03-29-2022 at 07:04 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by palestar:
Last_935 (03-29-2022), quickboxster (04-02-2022), senormisterioso (03-31-2022)

Quick Reply: Another broken cup holder with a different problem