Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony XAV-AX3200 in 987.2

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 12:34 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts
Question Sony XAV-AX3200 in 987.2

I have a new Sony XAV-AX3200 I want to put in my '11 987.2 S that has the CDR24 in it now.

I am told that using this ($715) is the ONLY way to keep the original Bose amplifier and to interface with it. NO - I do not want to bypass it and cut the speaker wires.
https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.pdf

My question is, is there any other, less expensive way?

Will this work? https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...n-boxster.html

I've sent that question to the mfg. but have not received a response.

TIA,

GN
Old 01-29-2022, 01:22 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

There are other interfaces that will allow you to use the Bose amp. Crutchfield has one for about $350. You may consider just buying everything from them, as they have very complete plug and play packages and good tech support.

There are less expensive interfaces out there as well, but I have heard of oddities in operation from them. There is a long thread about someone with a similar Sony radio you can check for other suggestions.

Last edited by Bernie987; 01-29-2022 at 01:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Schwinn (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 02:04 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Thank you Bernie. I already have the Sony, got it new from a local dealer Friday for $300.

Crutchfield says I would need to cut speaker wires.......I know their support is great.

Will search for that thread......please let me know if you find it.......

GN

Originally Posted by Bernie987
There are other interfaces that will allow you to use the Bose amp. Crutchfield has one for about $350. You may consider just buying everything from them, as they have very complete plug and play packages and good tech support.

There are less expensive interfaces out there as well, but I have heard of oddities in operation from them. There is a long thread about someone with a similar Sony radio you can check for other suggestions.
Old 01-29-2022, 02:19 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

Check out this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...-problems.html

And another one on the other site here: https://www.planet-9.com/threads/rep.../#post-2184935
Gatornapper (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:12 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
Thank you Bernie. I already have the Sony, got it new from a local dealer Friday for $300.

Crutchfield says I would need to cut speaker wires.......I know their support is great.

Will search for that thread......please let me know if you find it.......

GN
Sorry, the device I was talking about was good for my 987.1....apparently the Bose system changed for the 987.2.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:52 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Schwinn -

EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED! Thank you!

Just ordered parts. Can't wait to get it in. Good friend has all this in his 997.1 and I love it when I'm in his car - driving or riding.

Been wanting to do this since I got my 987.2 8 years ago.....

Thank you so much.

GN

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Schwinn (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 04:28 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Glad to hear it. The P9/Pioneer link seemed the nicest reference, but the other link had links to products, so that was why I sent both.

Do let the group here know how it works out in the end. Honestly, my car came with a Pioneer unit installed, and I don't know exactly how it's wired, but it appears to be copper-wired to the speakers (I found some copper speaker-looking wires last time I was up under the dash). I might consider swapping back to the optical setup, if possible, but we'll see. The way it's setup now is servicable, but man I hate the Bose system... there's always a hole in the frequency response, and there's also a resonance that causes the speakers to overextend easily... so I have to be careful and listen for distortion all the time. The hope is that by going back to the factory setup, the amps can tune around these issues (as they usually do) and reduce this problem. Alternatively, I may spend some time and just manually tune the GEQ in the Pioneer to tune-out the resonance and still get decent sound. That's why I'd like to see what you come up with!

Honestly, I have always hated Bose for this crap. They do a lot of trickery to get cheap speakers to sound decent... but if you change anything then it all falls apart. Give me a nice simple-ported enclosure or even a sealed one any day.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:53 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Schwinn -

Yeah, Bose is what it is, and why I don't want to cut the wires and bypass the amp. Only with the amp do the speakers work correctly.

I will post here what I find......but it might not be til it warms up some here in central VA - 13 in the morning, & my shop/garage has no heat.

AND I am in full restoration mode of a rare 1980 924 Turbo that is now running like new, and have engine issues to resolve on my '76 914........

GN
Old 01-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Totally agreed - on the Bose and the temperature. It was 6 here this morning in CT, and I still have a foot of snow to deal with from yesterday... so I get it! No problem, whenever you get to it!

As you can see from your post on the "what you did today" thread, others will be interested as well! If you're not a member at P9, I would suggest crossposting there as well, since they have an electronics subforum there too...
Old 01-30-2022, 09:28 AM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Schwinn -

Been on P9 since 2010 I think when I had my first Cayman........but been a while since I've posted there. I'm Gatornapper there too......

GN

Originally Posted by Schwinn
Totally agreed - on the Bose and the temperature. It was 6 here this morning in CT, and I still have a foot of snow to deal with from yesterday... so I get it! No problem, whenever you get to it!

As you can see from your post on the "what you did today" thread, others will be interested as well! If you're not a member at P9, I would suggest crossposting there as well, since they have an electronics subforum there too...
Schwinn (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 12:34 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Great & relevant post on "What did you do..." thread.......

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post17939911
Old 01-30-2022, 08:23 PM
Kbasa
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatornapper
Great & relevant post on "What did you do..." thread.......

​​​​​​https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post17939911
Thanks! Yeah, pull the taillight on the right side and take the license plate off. Stick a coat hanger you’ve straightened down through the hole in the taillight space until you see it in the hole behind the plate. Blue tape the camera lead to the coat hanger and pull it up to the taillight. Don’t forget to pull both the video lead AND the camera power lead.

IIRC, the reverse light is gray/black, but you should check. I took power from that to the camera's red lead. I used one of the taillight mounting bolts as my ground. When the reverse light is lit, the camera will turn on. In my Atoto, this makes the head unit turn down the music and show the cam.

Pull the camera video lead in through the taillight opening and route as you’d like. It’s essentially in the cabin at this point.

I have a Boxster, so I routed mine to the right of the coolant reservoir, then into the roof well, then over to the right, routed alongside the roll bar and on under the umbrella holder into the footwell.

Also, the woofers in my system were completely croaked and the foam around the cones was broken, so you might to check yours. The original speaker is seriously budget stuff.

I also just bought 36 sq ft of sound deadening I’m going t put in the doors, wheel wells and engine covers. I was watching some folks from presumably Australia upgrading a 987 and the first thing they did was spend a bunch of time installing soundproofing. It just showed up today, so that’ll be next weeks project, along with installing the Atoto remote control.

By all reports a few pounds of soundproofing can really transform both the stereo and the general noise level n the car.

Last edited by Kbasa; 01-30-2022 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:25 PM
Gatornapper
Instructor

Thanks Kbasa!

I've been to Marin and it's about as beautiful there as anywhere in the world - cept maybe Hawaii.........you are spoiled!

As to noise, a 76 I am deaf big-time. When I took a flight physical when 26, the doc strangely asked me if I had an expensive stereo system. I said, "No." and he said, "Don't waste your money buying one - you can't hear worth a xxxx." Only noise that bothers me in my Cayman is road noise from the rear tires on pavement that isn't smooth. On smooth pavement, it's quiet. Rough pavement roars....I hate that.

I didn't get the Sony head unit for music - but for Nav, AutoPlay, back-up cam, speaker phone. Not to say I won't enjoy some music now and then.......

GN

Last edited by Gatornapper; 01-30-2022 at 09:31 PM.
Kbasa (01-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Sony XAV-AX3200 in 987.2