Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE always on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2022, 02:44 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts
Default PSE always on?

Hi. I want more of this glorious noise please.
The factory setting is always off so it starts with sport exhaust closed. I want the car to start with the sport exhaust open.
Is there any harm in that? If not, how can I make that happen? Thanks in advance
Old 01-17-2022, 03:05 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 297 Posts

It wont hurt anything,,, The primary reason that switch is there is to avoid ticking of the neighbors,
loud cars are not glorious when you have a 2 year old and the neighbors hot rod leaves at 5:00Am...
But...

You should be able to invert the signal at the valve with a standard 5 pin Bosche style relay.
You need to figure out if the valve default on top of the motor that controls the vacuum to the PSE is normally powered or not.
I would mount the relay with the vacuum valve for the PSE. Some relays have amount or a built in tab.
Feed the trigger coil (Pin 85) of a relay with the PSE trigger wire.
Provide 12V signal to the relay power in (pin 30) Use a fuse... prob < 10A
Connect the correct output pin to the PSE vacuum valve. Pin 87 or 87a depending on the state the trigger wire is in on initial start.
Ground Pin 86 to good connection.

Old 01-17-2022, 04:02 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

you can turn it on by turning the key then hitting the switch before starting the car
Old 01-17-2022, 07:30 PM
scootr
Racer

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
you can turn it on by turning the key then hitting the switch before starting the car
Well, that's just too dam simple. I'm embarrassed I never thought of that.
Thank you
The following users liked this post:
Bud Fox (01-18-2022)
Old 01-20-2022, 11:06 PM
RRocket
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, the easiest and best way (IMO) is to just unplug the connector in the engine bay. I've been running mine this way since Day 1.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:40 AM
scootr
Racer

Thank you for posting RRocket.
I tried selecting PSE off with the key in accessory or on mode before starting as suggested and it would not activate. The engine must be on before the PSE button would work.
Your car being a Cayman gives top side engine access. Reaching this plug on the boxster may prove a challenge. I'll let you know - when I get a little lift time at my buddy's house for an oil change soon.
I've also been wondering about a wiring change in the console or dash
Old 01-21-2022, 09:06 AM
Suprastar
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Thank you for posting RRocket.
I tried selecting PSE off with the key in accessory or on mode before starting as suggested and it would not activate. The engine must be on before the PSE button would work.
Your car being a Cayman gives top side engine access. Reaching this plug on the boxster may prove a challenge. I'll let you know - when I get a little lift time at my buddy's house for an oil change soon.
I've also been wondering about a wiring change in the console or dash

I actually have a Boxster!

I just posted that video to show how/what to unplug.

This guy does it to his Boxster in this video..but it isn't super instructive

https://youtu.be/Y-U01Sg8gU4

Last edited by Suprastar; 01-21-2022 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-21-2022, 12:29 PM
scootr
Racer

Originally Posted by Suprastar
I actually have a Boxster!

I just posted that video to show how/what to unplug.

This guy does it to his Boxster in this video..but it isn't super instructive

https://youtu.be/Y-U01Sg8gU4
Cool. I will check that out. Thank you for your input.
OKay he does show how to get access with the roof half way up/down.
Then at 2;03 he shows this pic below and says this is what we need to undo.
I'm guessing undo is the same as unplug the electrical connection.

Last edited by scootr; 01-21-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:42 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 300 Posts

This is the proper way to do it. This control board is custom made in Japan by RL user "soaristo". It' holds the setting, so PSE will be the same when starting the car as whatever it was when the car was turned off the previous time. You can push the button to turn it on/off as you wish. It's more complicated than a relay.

I have one waiting to be installed and I have to say he's a super nice guy and takes pride in his work... not some Chinese made piece of junk. Here's a YouTube walkthrough video from someone that already installed it and here's a related thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...o-on-mode.html

Last edited by Zach L; 01-21-2022 at 07:47 PM.
SOARISTO (10-14-2023)
Old 01-21-2022, 09:33 PM
Suprastar
Track Day

Originally Posted by scootr
Cool. I will check that out. Thank you for your input.
OKay he does show how to get access with the roof half way up/down.
Then at 2;03 he shows this pic below and says this is what we need to undo.
I'm guessing undo is the same as unplug the electrical connection.
Yes. I just zip tied the plug to the bracket and covered the ends of male/female plug ends with tape to keep them clean.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:36 PM
Suprastar
Track Day

Originally Posted by Zach L
This is the proper way to do it.
​​​​​​I guess it depends what "proper" is to each person.

Carnewal makes such a device that works with the OEM button and is plug and play. Based on install, I'd rather the Carnewal.

Based on simplicity and cost, I'd rather the unplug method.

Last edited by Suprastar; 01-21-2022 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-23-2022, 02:11 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

This is the proper way to do it. This control board is custom made in Japan by RL user "soaristo". It' holds the setting, so PSE will be the same when starting the car as whatever it was when the car was turned off the previous time. You can push the button to turn it on/off as you wish. It's more complicated than a relay.

I have one waiting to be installed and I have to say he's a super nice guy and takes pride in his work... not some Chinese made piece of junk. Here's a YouTube walkthrough video from someone that already installed it and here's a related thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...o-on-mode.html
Zach - thanks for posting this. It's the first time I've seen it.

Do you know if this is also a way to enable PSE for a car that does not come with it as standard?

Of course, I'd need to also install the valve controller and the associated vacuum lines.
SOARISTO (10-14-2023)
Old 01-23-2022, 05:35 PM
Suprastar
Track Day

Originally Posted by The Duke

Do you know if this is also a way to enable PSE for a car that does not come with it as standard?

Of course, I'd need to also install the valve controller and the associated vacuum lines.
I think Soul makes a controller too.
Old 01-23-2022, 10:59 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by The Duke

I believe this works in concert with the OEM PSE system, so if I was going to retrofit this to a non-PSE car, I'd first start by doing just the factory PSE retrofit, confirm all is functioning as a factory unit, then install this. Installing the OEM PSE would require getting the dash switch, running all the OEM wiring and solenoid, then programming the car's DME at either the dealer or using a Durametric Pro device.

There are many aftermarket exhaust valve controller units, but everyone I know of uses a handheld remote for operation. Most will allow you to program to the Homelink buttons above your rearview mirror. That said, I'm sure you could dismantle the remote and wire it up to the factory PSE dash switch if desired. You may not have the LED indicator light in the OEM switch function though. The Carnewal kit has a 'memory' similar to the Soaristo controller. Not all aftermarket kits have that feature: http://www.carnewal.com/products/P87...Manual-Control

Under normal operation, the factory PSE system will close the valves between 28-47 mph, even if the exhaust valves have been selected to open (loud). In that speed range only under full throttle do they open. Both the Soaristo controller and other aftermarket valve controllers will keep the valves open or closed as selected, ignoring any speed-related overrides. While that's easy on a standalone unit, it's pretty trick that Soaristo integrated that feature into his OEM piggyback controller.

Basic kits like Soul's $175 kit are available on eBay for $55.

Last edited by Zach L; 01-23-2022 at 11:08 PM.
SOARISTO (10-14-2023)
Old 01-24-2022, 06:37 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I believe this works in concert with the OEM PSE system, so if I was going to retrofit this to a non-PSE car, I'd first start by doing just the factory PSE retrofit, confirm all is functioning as a factory unit, then install this. Installing the OEM PSE would require getting the dash switch, running all the OEM wiring and solenoid, then programming the car's DME at either the dealer or using a Durametric Pro device.

There are many aftermarket exhaust valve controller units, but everyone I know of uses a handheld remote for operation. Most will allow you to program to the Homelink buttons above your rearview mirror. That said, I'm sure you could dismantle the remote and wire it up to the factory PSE dash switch if desired. You may not have the LED indicator light in the OEM switch function though. The Carnewal kit has a 'memory' similar to the Soaristo controller. Not all aftermarket kits have that feature: http://www.carnewal.com/products/P87...Manual-Control

Under normal operation, the factory PSE system will close the valves between 28-47 mph, even if the exhaust valves have been selected to open (loud). In that speed range only under full throttle do they open. Both the Soaristo controller and other aftermarket valve controllers will keep the valves open or closed as selected, ignoring any speed-related overrides. While that's easy on a standalone unit, it's pretty trick that Soaristo integrated that feature into his OEM piggyback controller.

Basic kits like Soul's $175 kit are available on eBay for $55.
Zach

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The purist in me will almost always win out, which is why I've primarily focused my energies on a native PSE install.

However, it does seem to be a case where the aftermarket solution has it's own unique advantages - valves open between 28-47mph for one - and is an easier install too.

I'm targeting this spring/summer for an aftermarket cat back valved exhaust. Fingers crossed that FabSpeed will come through on the GT3 option, but I'm also working on a back-up plan.

I am very tempted by the FVD sound version, but I would want to ride in a car with it installed before I made the move, https://rennlist.com/forums/spyder-c...l#post17776726

Have any ideas?

Last edited by The Duke; 01-25-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Quick Reply: PSE always on?