Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

OH NO Another IMS bearing questions lol

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2022 | 11:14 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Since it's a 2005, I was under the impression that the motor could have either the less robust, but replaceable IMS bearing, or the later more robust non-replaceable IMS bearing and that the only sure way of knowing was to visually identify.
But the replies above seem to indicate that all 2005 M97 motors have the earlier bearing?
The following users liked this post:
Kbasa (02-12-2022)
Old 01-09-2022 | 09:20 AM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

4 to 5 K for the IMS bearing? That seems very high to me, even in Canadian pesos!

I know a fellow in Regina SK, where I live, who replaced the IMS bearing in his 986 Boxster, which I believe is the same engine as this car, in his garage. He said other than the weight of the transmission it was actually a pretty easy job. I'm sure you can find a cheaper indy who knows these engines who would be 1/2 the price or less. Hell, trailer it to Regina and get Wayne (our local Porsche guru) to replace it for you as I'm sure he'd be 2K tops.

Either way, enjoy the new car, I can't imagine the joy of rocketing this Boxster up Mt. Norquay Road at 6:00 AM on a beautiful summers morning.
Old 01-09-2022 | 09:52 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snakebit
Since it's a 2005, I was under the impression that the motor could have either the less robust, but replaceable IMS bearing, or the later more robust non-replaceable IMS bearing and that the only sure way of knowing was to visually identify.
But the replies above seem to indicate that all 2005 M97 motors have the earlier bearing?
This topic has been discussed ad nauseaum for better than 10 years. When I had a 2005 997 (base) I was especially into researching this. Here is the best article I have found on the topic. For 997 owners, the best info out there is post #14. But of course, it doesn't work for our variant of the M96.

So, assuming the car has the original motor, we need to look at our production date. There is a long standing thought that the transition from v2 of the IMSB to the final, v3 of the bearing was mid production cycle. See post #7. And again, this is for the 997. But I would guess than any 2005 car made in March, 2005 and later would have the larger, non-serviceable bearing. FWIW, this appears to hold true for 996 re-manufactured motors too as discussed in a couple of threads over on RennTech.

Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hal:
Snakebit (01-09-2022), wizee (02-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022 | 11:21 AM
KenRose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gsk.kev
No I am in calgary as well. Maybe I will ask Garrett to share the video with me.
I sent you a private message. Have a look at the top right corner of your screen by your username and you should see the link
Old 01-09-2022 | 12:08 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hal
This topic has been discussed ad nauseaum for better than 10 years. When I had a 2005 997 (base) I was especially into researching this. Here is the best article I have found on the topic. For 997 owners, the best info out there is post #14. But of course, it doesn't work for our variant of the M96.

So, assuming the car has the original motor, we need to look at our production date. There is a long standing thought that the transition from v2 of the IMSB to the final, v3 of the bearing was mid production cycle. See post #7. And again, this is for the 997. But I would guess than any 2005 car made in March, 2005 and later would have the larger, non-serviceable bearing. FWIW, this appears to hold true for 996 re-manufactured motors too as discussed in a couple of threads over on RennTech.

Hope this helps.
I didn't intend to bring it up, or drag it back up for those that have discussed it a million times. It was only for the fella that started this thread.

Anyways, I think that you confirmed that with a 2005 specifically, you just don't know what you have without doing the due diligence of looking for yourself? Or did I misunderstand?
Old 01-09-2022 | 12:40 PM
KenRose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Snakebit
I didn't intend to bring it up, or drag it back up for those that have discussed it a million times. It was only for the fella that started this thread.

Anyways, I think that you confirmed that with a 2005 specifically, you just don't know what you have without doing the due diligence of looking for yourself? Or did I misunderstand?
That's the tough part. I found another thread where it said in the service manual the specific engine numbers and which bearing they had. Then.....I found several more which stated that this has been proven not to be accurate. Unfortunately, it sounds like with the 2005 model year you just don't know without going through the expense of pulling the clutch to get at it.
Snakebit (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022 | 02:23 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the confirmation.

I'm an optimist by nature, so I look at it as win/win.
If you find you have the V3 robust bearing, you tell yourself you have the most reliable IMS bearing. If you have the previous replaceable bearing, you put a brand new fresh one in and tell yourself your 15 year old Porsche has a DAY1 IMS bearing in it now.

I actually haven't confirmed mine yet. I have enjoyed it for just short of a year now and it runs so perfectly that I have procrastinated. I need to do it, but what an amazing car it's been so far!

Note: I have thoroughly inspected the oil filter and housing at oil change and it was spotless. So that's my excuse for procrastination.

Last edited by Snakebit; 01-09-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Kbasa (02-12-2022)
Old 01-09-2022 | 04:24 PM
RobT987
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gsk.kev
...The dealership said this 2005 Boxster base has had its IMS seal was replaced in 2020 but not the bearing but when they replaced seal...
If the dealership made note of the flange seal and bearing center bolt size they could tell you if it has the old or new bearing installed.

-RobT
Old 01-09-2022 | 07:19 PM
KenRose
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RobT987
If the dealership made note of the flange seal and bearing center bolt size they could tell you if it has the old or new bearing installed.

-RobT
That is a good piece of advice Rob. There are two of us interested in the car (although I will bow out if my friend would like as I'd prefer a Cayman) so I'm sure one of us will ask this.
Old 01-09-2022 | 08:32 PM
gsk.kev
AutoX

Ken and Rob I confirmed and the car has the old bearing. It was never replaced
Old 01-09-2022 | 09:08 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by KenRose
That is a good piece of advice Rob. There are two of us interested in the car (although I will bow out if my friend would like as I'd prefer a Cayman) so I'm sure one of us will ask this.
Ken,

I normally try to stay out of these buying decisions, but if you truly have your heart set on a coupe, then the Cayman is the one to get. In the long run, you may not be happy with a convertible car and that's why a lot of people buy them in early spring and sell them in late Fall.

I'm personally more of a coupe guy than convertible. The Boxsters are fun, but unless you have money for the hard top, they're not for everyone, especially in cold climates.
Old 01-09-2022 | 10:19 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

I'd love a coup and have been watching for nearly a year for a $teal on a Cayman or 911.
But not to replace my top-down-99%-time 987.1

But yea, I live in the tropics and have other vehicles for rainy days.
Old 02-08-2022 | 01:25 PM
gsk.kev
AutoX

Default Hi

Hi everyone. Update - I wasn’t able to buy the boxster but I am looking at a cayman now. It’s a base 2007 model with no service history. It was traded at a dealership. I am getting it inspected at a exotic car servicing place. Are there any thing specific I should tell them to look for? Also would you buy a car without service history and with an inspection. TIA.
Old 02-08-2022 | 03:19 PM
KrisA
Rennlist Member

2.7 or 3.4? If a 3.4 a bore scope would be absolutely mandatory IMO. Might be a good idea on the 2.7 as well if you don't know the service history. I'd check the transmission cable ends for any sign of increased slop which can be a precursor to failure. Other than that I think just a standard inspection should be fine.
Old 02-08-2022 | 03:29 PM
gsk.kev
AutoX

This is the 2.7. Thanks!!

Quick Reply: OH NO Another IMS bearing questions lol