Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 987 Boxster, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 07:11 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Click the shipping link to get an estimate on delivery. Shopping nationally really expands the inventory. I bought my BS in WA and had it sent to CA.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:20 PM
czhao-27
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scootr
Click the shipping link to get an estimate on delivery. Shopping nationally really expands the inventory. I bought my BS in WA and had it sent to CA.
Yep that would definitely be an option I will consider. Just personally I kind of want to see it in person first. Anyways, these prices make me think the 2006 one I'm looking at is a steal???

I mean this one on BaT probably going to end up north of 20k though?

The one I'm looking at is this... yes I still don't have service history for it, going to wait till Monday to dig more into it.

https://bmw.checkeredflag.com/invent...ca29856u712312

Last edited by czhao-27; 01-01-2022 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2022, 08:14 AM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by czhao-27
Yep that would definitely be an option I will consider. Just personally I kind of want to see it in person first. Anyways, these prices make me think the 2006 one I'm looking at is a steal???

The one I'm looking at is this... yes I still don't have service history for it, going to wait till Monday to dig more into it.

I bought my 987 out of state as well. Had it shipped from Arizona to Florida. If you plan on having a PPI done, then it shouldn't really matter that much assuming you trust the shop performing it.
The following users liked this post:
KevinThe987 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 09:54 AM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I did the fly and drive thing. Was really pretty sure I wanted the car and worked out a "hold" with the seller. I had a PPI done then flew down and drove the car 1500 miles home. A great way to get to know your new ride!
KevinThe987 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-02-2022, 08:33 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by zuch
I did the fly and drive thing. Was really pretty sure I wanted the car and worked out a "hold" with the seller. I had a PPI done then flew down and drove the car 1500 miles home. A great way to get to know your new ride!
This is what I did too. The drive home was a wonderful journey of discovery in all the cool things about the car.

Long story… bought the car with a handshake and a mutual promise to send funds / title.
KevinThe987 (01-06-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 01:48 AM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

They actually do let you do a PPI, which is part of the reason I haven't walked away just yet. Also I think this Boxster was once a CPO one. I will keep talking to them after the holiday and see what comes out of it. They don't have a return policy though, it's not one of those big no haggle places.
Word of advice: if you can figure out where the car lived/was serviced, I've had success just calling up the local Porsche dealer's service folks and seeing if they had any records they could share. I was able to get more detail on several cars in this fashion.
Old 01-03-2022, 02:00 AM
losblancos
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's hard to tell what a "good" price is in this crazy market, but that doesn't seem too far off. Someone can correct me but I never saw a clear answer on whether '06 model year cars are 100% guaranteed to have the larger IMS, though I believe you should be fine on that front.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...l#post17117536

(The values on BaT are always inflated and often without reason IMO. It is absolutely crazy to see 986s going for that much.)

I went through this same search 12 mos ago, best of luck! Even down to the test drive with the wife and the surprising reaction to that incredible induction noise.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:32 AM
KevinThe987
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok I'll start this by saying that I'm giving advice based on my own experience, so take it with a grain of salt. That said, my advice would be to (if at all possible) look in Texas and book a cheap flight on frontier if you find a car you like. You are going to find either a nicer car for the same price, or the same car you are looking at in your state for a lower price. Of course when I bought mine I was looking on FB marketplace, so maybe not a super accurate representation. But for example, I bought my 2006 Cayman S fairly high speced with 65k miles for $25k. In my state one in the same condition would have been $35k. Totally worth the 1000 mile drive back! From what I've heard this seems to be a pattern. Either way, good luck in your search! Hope you find a good deal, these cars are a heck of a lot of fun

P.S. if you find one in your price range I would go with an S. Totally worth it, sounds better IMO too. Either way though, fun cars!
Old 01-07-2022, 11:51 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 987 Boxster, advice needed