Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk options...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 06:38 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 173 Posts

You're on the right track. I would modify the search slightly from "which options are important, nice to have and no big deal" to "must have, nice to have, do not want". There are options / configs you may wish to rule out, just as there are ones to make manditory.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2021, 06:49 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

For sure making progress. Just finished up a discussion with the wife, and while it's not going to be the favorite decision around here, I've decided to solely look into '09+ PDK. The wife enjoys driving sporty as well and I would like her to have the option to use the car. I've increased my price range a little to compensate. Reached out to one dealer already on a near ideal spec. A bit overpriced, but let's see what we can do about that.

That's interesting about the spring rates. I thought normal PASM was the softest option?
The following users liked this post:
Dave in Chicago (12-18-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:52 PM
arne
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

There's pretty good PASM tutorial on the PCA's Cayman Register site. I'm not going to type it all up again here since you don't need to be a Register member to view the page - https://caymanregister.org/faq.php?faq=options#faq_pasm

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
You're on the right track. I would modify the search slightly from "which options are important, nice to have and no big deal" to "must have, nice to have, do not want". There are options / configs you may wish to rule out, just as there are ones to make manditory.
Yeah, I agree with that. For me the only "must have" is manual transmission. The "nice to haves" are the 4 items I noted above: 18/19" wheels; heated seats; sport seats; PASM. The "do not want" are all various colors (both paint and interior). Anything not listed in these is of no real importance to me either way.

Last edited by arne; 12-17-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:56 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

From Post #1
​​​​​​....... "Speaking of price, I've always been annoyed at the "poor man's Porsche" mentality towards Caymans, but after a month or so of shopping, I actually have to agree to a certain degree as most of these cars are so poorly optioned and stripped down...coming from a cheap-o looking for a 15 year old car on a budget. Anyway, any thoughts would be super helpful. Also, this will be strictly an adult driven street car, but I still want that sports car feel and a nice place to spend some time."........

A Base Porsche Cayman/Boxster 987.1 or 987.2 with ZERO options is absolutely going to have "that sports car feel and a nice place to spend some time". At least my definition of a sports car.
I personally would care more about the condition of the car than I would the options, but other than having a clutch, which is a personal preference for that "sports car experience", none of those options are a deal killer. Especially if the price and condition are in order.

Or put another way, I'll choose a perfectly cared for "stripped" 987 over a more expensive well optioned car showing more wear. Every single time.

Base Porsches are 100% all Porsche.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:31 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Originally Posted by Snakebit

Base Porsches are 100% all Porsche.
Of course they are. Nobody is saying anything else. Just some people appreciate a well optioned interior, and that's hard to find in the used market.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:35 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

A fair amount of the options discussed have nothing to do with the interior though.
By the way, I DO think a Base should be upgraded from the 17" wheels. But when I was looking, that was one of the most common options that even a lightly optioned Base would have.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:52 PM
Topshelf
Racer

What can I say, I like my cars to be loaded up with all the options. Not even having Auto climate control is just mind boggling to me at $60k+.

I'm not sure I've seen any 17s on the cars I've looked at. Seems like you said one of the first options selected.
Old 12-17-2021, 11:56 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

$60k budget was way beyond what I was addressing, so I guess my take on a "Base" 987.1 or 987.2 isn't exactly applicable.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:05 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Ha! Maybe I should say Non S instead.

Just because it's the smaller engine, that doesn't mean I don't want all the goodies.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:38 AM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

I would think that budget would get you any 987.2 fully optioned. Every option. Maybe other than PCCB? And likely immaculate.
Old 12-18-2021, 12:56 AM
Topshelf
Racer

Oh no, sorry. I meant $60k when new. I'm trying to stay at half of that.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:43 AM
arne
Instructor

I've been tracking 987 Base models for sale across the country, to compare prices and learn what is likely to be out there when I get ready to move. I've got over 2 dozen I'm looking at right now, all but 2 have heated seats. But I show 5 with 17" wheels.

So yes, the upgrade to 18" (or 19") is very common. But heated seats are even more so.

The other things I'm tracking are definitely not common. Sport seats - 3 cars. PASM - 1 car. 987.1 Base with 6 speed - 1 car.

And for the unicorn award, the 987.1 with the 6 speed is also the one car with PASM, and it has heated sport seats as well...

Last edited by arne; 12-18-2021 at 01:48 AM.
Snakebit (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 01:52 AM
arne
Instructor

And if you like your cars loaded, I know of a 987.1 S that has it all. Extremely low miles, Seal Gray, and virtually every option except Tiptronic and PCCBs. But you won't like the price...
Snakebit (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 11:13 AM
scootr
Racer

Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts

I bought my 987.2 in 2020 after a nationwide search. I bought it out of state from a Porsche dealer and had it shipped.
My must have list was:
MT
Hydraulic steering
DFI engine
Heated sport seats
PASM
Convertible
Low miles
Service history
Everything else is icing on the cake.

987.2 because it is a high water mark. BS because I love canyon carving with the top down.
My choice was loaded. My likes and dislikes are >
6 MT personal preference that fits my type of driving. Must have - deal maker
LSD - limited slip gives more grip and more security pushing the car through and out of the corner.
Sport seats in leather - A must have for sport driving. Does no good to have a hard corning car if the driver is not held securely in place.
Heated seats and steering wheel - Must haves for brisk AM top down drives. ( and old backs)
19" wheels - eh? They look good but may go to 18s for more comfort.
PASM - must have. Add DSC suspension control for more compliant and more capable ride. This is the ultimate 5 min no tools upgrade.
Auto - climate. Okay but I could have lived with manual controls. I'm about driving not being pampered in a sports car
PDLS , headlight washer + auto dim mirrors. Not needed but nice to have.
Sport chrono - Use the sport button every drive
NAV - pretty outdated. Use your phone
PSE - Sport Exhaust - A deal maker. Love the sound
Bose sound - Not needed, see above
Color - I had one color I would not buy.
The car has other options not listed above. The trend I found when shopping nationwide was that people who ordered highly optioned cars started with the S option and built from there.
I found few optioned based models. But every S had a few options added and some had every option added. Which using Porsche's ala cart menu, is why the S models cost 10k more on average.
Those options added up quickly!
In my option you buy the best car that fits in your budget. If that leaves a few amenities out then you have something to dream about in your next P car.

Last edited by scootr; 12-18-2021 at 11:17 AM.
Snakebit (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 12:27 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Very nice car you have there!

The options list (or lack of options) as you guys mention really makes shopping used a tough task. Seriously need to consider which are deal breakers and just chalk everything else up to good if they happen to be there. I'd love to find a base pdk with xenons, heated sport seats and pasm, but that's nearly impossible to find on even an S model, so very unlikely I'll end up there. Unless moving to a higher mileage S becomes an option for me. Not sure if the dfi engine carbon buildup is a serious concern though and haven't researched it as I wasn't expecting to even consider that. Man, spending money is rough. lol

Quick Reply: Let's talk options...