Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help getting cycles for emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 11:03 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need help getting cycles for emissions test

I have a 2006 Cayman S, manual. I just bought it, had my local shop fix/clear an airbag code. Now, I can't get it though emission. I live in Colorado.

-I have driven it about 200 miles since it was reset
-About 150 of it is trying to get the computer ready for the test
-I have done this cycle 4 times
https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...an-Drive-Cycle
-I have been back to the emissions test site three times
-I just did the cycle again and plugged in my own reader, and got not ready on emissions again

HELP...I need to get this registered. Any suggestions? I thought about a dyno, but that (in my experience) throws ABS and trac codes that will also be a problem.

I can't really find a location to drive that slow that long uninterrupted from a cold start with out getting hit. I have been going out at 2:00am to do the test.

HELP!

Old 12-14-2021, 11:21 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello, I recently had a similar issue. I am guessing someone disconnected your battery recently. When I did this, it took a little over 300 miles for the readiness monitors to reset. I am in NJ and you are allowed to have 1 monitor pending. Usually the evap takes longest.

Anyway try to drive another 100 or so miles. It will eventually set and become ready.

Good luck
Old 12-14-2021, 11:22 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

It looks like it is evap and air pump...and much more driving is not realistic. It is not registered, and snow is coming (possibly tomorrow). I need shortcuts to get evap and air pump to clear.
Old 12-15-2021, 07:52 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Any chance your Cayman has a tune that was installed by the previous owner(s)? My '12 CS had a tune, and it failed emissions in Boulder Cty. The tune masks the 02 sensors IIRC, and I had to reset the car's tune back to stock. (Which then passed inspection)

The dealership had offered to help get the car inspected, but also recommended I reset the tune using the tool that came with it before making any decisions. I thanked them for the advice, which never cost me a dime.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by tomhartzell; 12-15-2021 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2021, 12:16 AM
Bernie987
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
Any chance your Cayman has a tune that was installed by the previous owner(s)?
Thanks Tom. Not to the best of my knowledge. There are no indicators. It came from CA and passed there. I'm also in Boulder county.

Watching the live data on my OBD2 reader nothing looks off to me (but again, my background is not Porsche). I drove another 150 miles today, the bulk of which was under 60 MPH and all of which was under the 3000 RPM trying to get the EVAP to resent. Nothing

I'm guessing the thin air is not helping. There is less passing through the MAF sensor, do less fuel, which means less emissions to clean. I have previously played some games with lying to the computer about MAF input to get rally cars (that needed license plates) to pass in some other state. However, that state also allowed two not ready conditions so not entirely applicable.

I will try from a cold start again in the morning. More pointless driving wasting fuel to prove my car doesn't waste fuel.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:59 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

I'll give you the exact route I used for my Drive Cycle, with the hopes it may help. I live west of 75th Street on Clubhouse Rd.

a. Started the car cold in the garage and let it idle for 2-1/2 minutes.
b. Drove it thru local neighborhoods then headed west on Jay Rd, keeping it at or under 30mph. Didn't worry when I had to stop for lights or stop signs. Probably drove it for over 3 mins, but didn't worry about the extra minutes.
c. Headed north on Rt 36 towards Lyons, always keeping it between 55 and 60.
d. Turned east on St. Vrain Rd, keeping it between 40 and 45.
e. Drove to where St. Vrain Rd meets 75th Street and turned around on St. Vrain Rd. Immediately parked it on a berm, and let it idle in Drive for 3 mins. (i.e. for PDK) If your car is a manual, let it idle in Neutral for 3 mins.
f. Drove it at 30mph west on St. Vrain Rd, and put flashers on to let other people know I was going slower. When I got to 65th Street, I turned left to keep driving at 30mph.
g. When the 3 mins of driving at 30mph were up, I turned around to head north on 65th Street and accelerated to 40mph
h. I turned left/west onto St. Vrain Rd and accelerated to 45mph.
i. When I got back to Rt 36, I turned right back towards Boulder and kept my speed between 55 and 60.
j. Turned left back onto Jay Rd, and found a spot to let it idle in Drive for 3 mins. (Or idle in neutral with a manual tranny)

After completing the Drive Cycle, I drove it straight to the testing center near the Boulder Airport where it passed. Note that Prestige Imports had offered to get the car inspected for me when it initially failed, but one of their Svc Mgrs stated his 2004 Turbo was also tuned; wouldn't pass unless he restored the stock tune; and recommended I tried doing that first. It ended up I didn't need the help, but genuinely appreciated their guidance and insight. Might want to give them a call if all else fails. (And a phone call with what you've learned so far might prove helpful as well.)

Give me a shout if you have any questions; hope this helps!
Old 12-16-2021, 11:19 AM
toddlamb
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

We had one stubborn customer car (the car was stubborn, not the customer ) that wouldn't complete the drive cycle after 10 or so tries. We eneded up taking it to the dyno and it was ready after one try.
Porsche repairs, servicing, and upgrades / Certified IMS installer / PDK repair experts

Over 150 PDK's repaired and counting:
https://youtu.be/m54P_zisEcI

The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 12:53 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Tom...
Thanks for the detailed info. I have been driving part of that route. Attempts #7,8, 11, and 12 were done on 36.

Todd...
Won't that throw an ABS/Trac code?
Old 12-16-2021, 03:01 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 619 Likes on 363 Posts

there was a guy with a 991 with a similar issue in CA. his only solution was a trip to the porsche dealer, who reset the codes with their computer.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:57 AM
Bernie987
Advanced

Default Update:

I have done 500 miles, attempting the cycles every time. Still evap and air will not reset. I'm going to store it for the winter, try again in spring. I would still love any good info from others that may have seen this problem. Thanks
Old 12-19-2021, 03:39 PM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

What OBD codes is your Cayman throwing, and what OBD reader are you using? Given we're not supposed to get any snow this week, I'd give Prestige a call and tell them what you've done and what you're seeing. It would be worth knowing what they would have to offer after performing the PIWIS diagnostics. (To me, anyway)

Good luck, and have a very happy holiday!
Old 12-19-2021, 06:03 PM
Bernie987
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomhartzell
What OBD codes is your Cayman throwing, and what OBD reader are you using? Given we're not supposed to get any snow this week, I'd give Prestige a call and tell them what you've done and what you're seeing. It would be worth knowing what they would have to offer after performing the PIWIS diagnostics. (To me, anyway)

Good luck, and have a very happy holiday!
-No Codes
-Innova (model from around 2006, 3012 or something, its not in front of me)
-Just shows not ready on air and evap
-I think my reader is accurate, as it is Confirmed by my three attempts at Air Colorado
-I will be gone for the holidays, so I put it away for the year.

-I called the Fort Collins Porsche dealer. Told them everything I did. They said I had done everything possible. they could look at it in January or February. I said no thanks.
-I called three independent Porsche shops. Same answer from all three
-I made an appointment with the technical advisor for the state at Fort Collins air emissions (he is the state rep, not the air company does the testing that is actually a contractor) . While a nice guy, he was not much help. He said they don't have and won't be getting Porsche software to push those conditions to ready.
-What he did do was take wheel measurements and say they can test it on the Dyno. The advantage there is if it isn't emitting at the tailpipe it is a pass even if the systems still show not ready. Basically, challenging the test and actually measuring emission.
-However, when they went to test it on Dyno, the traction control would not turn off, so it would not perform a test

My game plan:
-Order a new switch panel for the rear wing and the traction control. The rear wing switch never worked, but the traction control one did when I bought it. As far as I can tell, one connection with different ohm ratings to tell the computer what was pushed. Guessing that board is bad.
-Put that in over the winter
-One the traction control will turn off, I have the letter to let them test it on the Dyno, so I should be all set

Quick Reply: Need help getting cycles for emissions test