Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag deactivation and car seat preparation kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 04:26 PM
Toothbob
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag deactivation and car seat preparation kit

Anyone have suggestions on finding a airbag deactivation switch and car seat latch kit for my Boxster? All the online sources show NLA from Porsche. One website that listed it as being in stock promptly cancelled my order (it wasn’t). Part number is 99704480015
My 3 year old keeps asking for a ride in Dad’s new “race car”. But she’s big enough that between her and the car seat I’m not confident the airbag weight switch will prevent deployment. Guess I could load her up and just keep an eye on the light…

Last edited by Toothbob; 12-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 05:49 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothbob
My 3 year old keeps asking for a ride in Dad’s new “race car”...Guess I could load her up and just keep an eye on the light…
I wouldn't do that. Even with the chances of an accident occurring being very low, you'd never forgive yourself if something did happen and your daughter got hurt. I realize saying "No" is difficult, but sometimes the difficult thing is also the best thing you can do as a parent.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:41 PM
Toothbob
AutoX

Originally Posted by TMc993
I wouldn't do that. Even with the chances of an accident occurring being very low, you'd never forgive yourself if something did happen and your daughter got hurt. I realize saying "No" is difficult, but sometimes the difficult thing is also the best thing you can do as a parent.
Sorry. I wasn’t clear. I mean to test before driving the car if the airbag system deactivates reliably without the manual system installed, which is what I’m trying to source.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:20 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Toothbob
Sorry. I wasn’t clear. I mean to test before driving the car if the airbag system deactivates reliably without the manual system installed, which is what I’m trying to source.
Not judging...I've just been there, that's all. It's not fun.
Old 12-10-2021, 06:45 AM
Toothbob
AutoX

Originally Posted by TMc993
Not judging...I've just been there, that's all. It's not fun.
Gotcha. And I honestly truthfully appreciate any warning when it comes to my kids safety. They are near feral but I do rather like them.
Old 12-10-2021, 12:47 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't trust the seat sensor, from the documentation the trigger weight sounds somewhat low.

From the wiring diagram the "airbag off" switch looks pretty simple. All you'd need to do is change the connection from brown > yellow/blue to brown > orange/black to disable the airbag. If you pull off that panel I bet you'll find a connector with a jumper: it should be fairly easy to remove the jumper, wire up your own manual switch, and hide it somewhere accessible.

Wiring-wise that's exactly what the discontinued kit would do, you just wouldn't get the modified trim panel with the switch.

The following 2 users liked this post by MrMoose:
bredward (01-18-2024), Toothbob (12-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Airbag deactivation and car seat preparation kit