Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Boxster and hands free phone

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 11:36 AM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2009 Boxster and hands free phone

Hey there, I've read about a zillion threads and ended up confusing myself even more. I have a new (to me) 2009 Boxster base with Bose, CDR30 and an aux input in the console. It does not have Bluetooth or PCM. I'm wanting to have hands free phone capability...there are phone buttons on the CDR30 so I'm hoping to utilize those, but will go another route if necessary. And I looking at one of the Tranzit blue FM things?

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:30 PM
palestar
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 48 Posts

Just installed the Tranzit Blu on my 987.1 and it's far exceeded my expectations. You may have another options since you've got a .2, but this is probably the cheapest route. $100 and an hour or two of time to install and you'll have handsfree calling and streaming bluetooth audio. The audio quality is very good (much better than a typical FM transmitter). I'm a musician and audio engineer, so I'd like to think my ears are fairly well trained

Old 11-11-2021, 12:41 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by palestar
Just installed the Tranzit Blu on my 987.1 and it's far exceeded my expectations. You may have another options since you've got a .2, but this is probably the cheapest route. $100 and an hour or two of time to install and you'll have handsfree calling and streaming bluetooth audio. The audio quality is very good (much better than a typical FM transmitter). I'm a musician and audio engineer, so I'd like to think my ears are fairly well trained

Thank you, sir. Did I read it can be plugged into the aux input? Would that make taking the headunit out unnecessary?
Old 11-11-2021, 05:13 PM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

If you're just looking for an aux-input device, there are plenty of bluetooth to aux adapters out there. I used to use one from Belkin and then another from some knockoff in my previous cars. Worked great, and eliminated the need to pull the head unit. Cheap too... here's a new version of what I had before: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUWCZ0

I tried an FM transmitter in the past as well... I hated that thing because living near cities (Boston at the time) meant there wasn't much clear-FM space for it to work with. The aux-version was excellent and eliminated this issue.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:46 PM
McSwine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schwinn
If you're just looking for an aux-input device, there are plenty of bluetooth to aux adapters out there. I used to use one from Belkin and then another from some knockoff in my previous cars. Worked great, and eliminated the need to pull the head unit. Cheap too... here's a new version of what I had before: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MSUWCZ0

I tried an FM transmitter in the past as well... I hated that thing because living near cities (Boston at the time) meant there wasn't much clear-FM space for it to work with. The aux-version was excellent and eliminated this issue.
Appreciate it. Can I use this thing to make/receive phone calls hands free? If so, that would be perfect (and cheap).

Old 11-12-2021, 09:53 AM
Schwinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't know about "making" as this may depend on the phone. As I recall, you can press a button (this one says press and hold) and then you can use voice commands. So you could use that to voice-command a call?

I only used mine for music and talking on the phone, and my device worked great for that. My phone was usually on the dash anyway, so I could make/accept calls that way without issue.

Quick Reply: 2009 Boxster and hands free phone