Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 04:36 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Painted Bumper

Is there a trusted dealer where I can get a painted bumper to match my car?
It is 2011 Carrera White
Old 11-07-2021, 06:08 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
Is there a trusted dealer where I can get a painted bumper to match my car?
It is 2011 Carrera White
How well do you want it to match? After 11 years, your car no longer matches the paint code. A good paint shop will need to custom mix and spray out some samples to get a perfect match.

If "pretty close" is good enough (even for my racecar it wasnt) the are several aftermarket places selling prepainted bumpers, but I seriously doubt any dealer would do that.
The following users liked this post:
ttt123 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 07:34 PM
scootr
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 124 Posts

The car has been garage kept with 12k miles so I hadn't thought much about color fade.
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:23 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by scootr
The car has been garage kept with 12k miles so I hadn't thought much about color fade.
Thanks for the reply.
"Garage kept" doesn't really matter. Paint continues to cure over time regardless of exposure to the elements. Even if you had paint that matched perfectly today, down the road the rate and degree of curing would most probably result in mismatched panels. The only way to guarantee perfectly matched panels is to paint the entire car.
The following users liked this post:
ttt123 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 01:32 AM
Kattman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

Does the entire bumper need to be painted?
I had small paint chips on the lower lip of my front bumper, when I bought it (from previous owner). It was literally the only blemishes, on this pristine car. It looked like the PPF was slowly getting pealed off, and was taking chips of paint with it. I very carefully removed some of the offending PPF (from around the area) - very carefully sanded the damaged area - masked off the front zone (along with covering the entire car with plastic) - used higher quality rattle-can filler primer, and leveled out the damage zone - got a paint match rattle-can of my car color, and sprayed in about 3 or 4 coats (blending into the original paint) - finished off with a higher quality rattle-can 2 stage clear (5 or 6 coats). And when all was done, you would NEVER be able to tell I did that repair. It matched perfectly....with rattle-can paints!
Just say'n..

Quick Reply: Painted Bumper