Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.1 AOS 7 White Smoke

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 05:09 PM
Zipper8650
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 987.1 AOS 7 White Smoke

Afternoon all...if you have a AOS failure will the car stop smoking under reserved driving or does it never stop until its shut off?

2008 987.1 CS, just shy of 100K. First time at a PCA DE @ Limerock with this car yesterday, super hot day (98-100)...first run was fine, wasnt pushing the car. Went on my second run...Instructor put on the AC to cool us down, drove the car hard for about a :20 min session. Temp gauge was just a little over the 175, nothing alarming. My mistakes..I brought all of the tools to pull the engine cover insulation as well as the cover between runs but never did it. I also didnt leave it running at idle to try keep coolant moving. Got back in the car for run 3, noted that the car was reading the outside temp as 113 (it wasnt but it was damn hot), started it up and big billows of white/blue smoke. Shut it down, instructor came over and asked me to start it again, same thing, shut it down immediately. Pulled the rear insulation and the metal cover was so hot I could barely touch it, I regularly run the car with no insulation during the summer and its never been that hot. Found the owner of a well known shop on the other end of the paddock, explained what happened and he told me to drive it down to him and he would look at it. 3rd start was considerable less smoke and cleared up pretty quick. Did an oil check and I was about at the halfway mark (running a L&N deep sump and tend to keep it a little lower). Diagnoses was likely the AOS and I could nurse it back home with no issues (3hr drive). 4th start close to no smoke. Drove it 15 min back to the hotel, drove fine, temp was a steady 175. Cooled down considerably over night, started it this morning (about 70 degrees outside) and got one medium cloud, drove about 15 minutes to a spot for food, after eating, no smoke on start up and ran fine all the way home (granted I was trying to keep it below 3000 rpms and 70mph the whole time.

So....did I overheat the oil and get some somewhere it doesnt belong and it will eventually burn off OR is the AOS likely shot? I was told a bad AOS will not stop smoking....

thanks in advance for any input or theory's!!!

Changing out the oil this week
Old 08-28-2021, 10:18 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by Zipper8650
Afternoon all...if you have a AOS failure will the car stop smoking under reserved driving or does it never stop until its shut off?

2008 987.1 CS, just shy of 100K. First time at a PCA DE @ Limerock with this car yesterday, super hot day (98-100)...first run was fine, wasnt pushing the car. Went on my second run...Instructor put on the AC to cool us down, drove the car hard for about a :20 min session. Temp gauge was just a little over the 175, nothing alarming. My mistakes..I brought all of the tools to pull the engine cover insulation as well as the cover between runs but never did it. I also didnt leave it running at idle to try keep coolant moving. Got back in the car for run 3, noted that the car was reading the outside temp as 113 (it wasnt but it was damn hot), started it up and big billows of white/blue smoke. Shut it down, instructor came over and asked me to start it again, same thing, shut it down immediately. Pulled the rear insulation and the metal cover was so hot I could barely touch it, I regularly run the car with no insulation during the summer and its never been that hot. Found the owner of a well known shop on the other end of the paddock, explained what happened and he told me to drive it down to him and he would look at it. 3rd start was considerable less smoke and cleared up pretty quick. Did an oil check and I was about at the halfway mark (running a L&N deep sump and tend to keep it a little lower). Diagnoses was likely the AOS and I could nurse it back home with no issues (3hr drive). 4th start close to no smoke. Drove it 15 min back to the hotel, drove fine, temp was a steady 175. Cooled down considerably over night, started it this morning (about 70 degrees outside) and got one medium cloud, drove about 15 minutes to a spot for food, after eating, no smoke on start up and ran fine all the way home (granted I was trying to keep it below 3000 rpms and 70mph the whole time.

So....did I overheat the oil and get some somewhere it doesnt belong and it will eventually burn off OR is the AOS likely shot? I was told a bad AOS will not stop smoking....

thanks in advance for any input or theory's!!!

Changing out the oil this week
The quickest way to test the health of an AOS is by using a manometer to measure the crankcase vacuum. Follow the steps in this video.

The following users liked this post:
Zipper8650 (08-29-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 10:30 AM
ClemCLone
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts
Exclamation

Also try this. Pull this tube connection. top of the AOS. If it has oil in it, drips out, it's failing or has failed

Top vent line from the AOS
The following users liked this post:
Zipper8650 (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 11:15 AM
Zipper8650
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemCLone
Also try this. Pull this tube connection. top of the AOS. If it has oil in it, drips out, it's failing or has failed

Top vent line from the AOS
great idea, thanks!

Quick Reply: 987.1 AOS 7 White Smoke