Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carvana 987.2 Boxster Base Preordered

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 10:40 PM
Possible981boxst
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Carvana 987.2 Boxster Base Preordered

So after a while of searching for a 981B, and debating between a 987.2, 981, and a Jaguar F Type, I’ve come across this 2012 987.2 Boxster base that’s pretty spec’d out.

I have it pre ordered on Carvana and plan to make an appointment at the Porsche dealership the day after delivery for PPI.

It’s going for $29k, and has 84k miles. Carfax is kinda spotty. It’s had 5 owners, first 2 owners barely drove it, and was put up as a CPO at 65k miles.

Seems like the most recent owner may have used it for commuting because they put 20k miles on it within 5 or so months. (From the looks of carfax, they bought it in Oct-2020.

Spark plugs were replaced at 74k miles.

I guess I’m posting here, what is this forum’s thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Definitely will be getting the PPI ASAP though.

Below are the Carvana and Carfax links, along with sticker tag. Also, can anyone explain some of the more uncommon packages? What is the sports design package? Couldn’t really find anything concrete in what it is? Does this spec sheet say that mirrors are black while the rest of the car is red?

https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1921384

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=CVN_0&vin=WP0CA2A82CS710147
Old 08-01-2021, 09:57 AM
DBKY
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like a nice build. My Boxster is also a 2012 Base model, currently 77k miles. Bought it 2 years ago and have spent a little money catching up on some maintenance that the prior owner hadn't done, plus some things that give me some peace of mind. Of course your mileage may vary (no pun intended).

Things like:

Plugs & Coils
PDK fluid change - both gear oil and clutch oil
Water pump, belt and thermostat - which included new coolant.
Tires

I know that I have brakes coming up, and may need to do a brake fluid flush as well.

From what I can tell, the Sport Design package "is described as a new front apron, with spoiler lip and an auto extending rear spoiler." as found on another forum. My car also has the Convenience package which I think included a car cover and some lighting options, maybe rain sensing wipers, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Can't find a lot of info on what the packages have. Has to be more than that because $2490 seems high for a car cover, lol.

Here's a link to to the sales brochure for that model (2011 edition but probably pretty accurate):
Porsche_US Boxster_2011.pdf (auto-brochures.com)
Old 08-01-2021, 10:05 AM
hlee96
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 125 Posts

Great build. Under $30k 987.2 with sports exhaust, PDK, etc.
If no documentation of wp/plugs/wires, then spend ~$2-3k at your local trusted Porsche mechanic and get them done for miles/miles of worryfree motoring!
Old 08-01-2021, 10:38 AM
Possible981boxst
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DBKY
Looks like a nice build. My Boxster is also a 2012 Base model, currently 77k miles. Bought it 2 years ago and have spent a little money catching up on some maintenance that the prior owner hadn't done, plus some things that give me some peace of mind. Of course your mileage may vary (no pun intended).

Things like:

Plugs & Coils
PDK fluid change - both gear oil and clutch oil
Water pump, belt and thermostat - which included new coolant.
Tires

I know that I have brakes coming up, and may need to do a brake fluid flush as well.

From what I can tell, the Sport Design package "is described as a new front apron, with spoiler lip and an auto extending rear spoiler." as found on another forum. My car also has the Convenience package which I think included a car cover and some lighting options, maybe rain sensing wipers, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Can't find a lot of info on what the packages have. Has to be more than that because $2490 seems high for a car cover, lol.

Here's a link to to the sales brochure for that model (2011 edition but probably pretty accurate):
Porsche_US Boxster_2011.pdf (auto-brochures.com)
I’ve read that about the sports design package as well, but from what I’ve seen, it’s only offered outside of the USA. I’ve yet to find a Boxster in the states with that package. If you look up “sport edition 987” on YouTube, you’ll notice they’re all right and drive cars, and also, they’re all 987.1.
Old 08-02-2021, 03:04 AM
adam_987.2
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

You can still buy the Sport Design package from Porsche - https://tequipment-finder.porsche.co...257A7E004B8BE1
Old 08-02-2021, 02:08 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Awesome spec. Pretty rare to see a base car loaded up like that. Looks like maybe the Sport Design package at $8100 included the wheels, PSE, front bumper (?), and likely the SD steering wheel as well. Pretty sweet. Trying to add that stuff on later would cost you much more money. Ask me how I know
Old 08-02-2021, 02:57 PM
Possible981boxst
Intermediate

Update: so I’m doing some due diligence, and called the previous Porsche Services because it just say “serviced” on the carfax.

On 7/19/2021, they replaced the exhaust clamps and the inside door panel because there was water coming through.

previously changed the spark plugs, and at 65k, brakes flushed and CPO inspection was performed.

The lady at the dealership actually said they were impressed with how well kept the car was because they remember it. This definitely gives me some excitement for it, awaiting pictures from Carvana.
The following 3 users liked this post by Possible981boxst:
Schwinn (08-02-2021), scootr (10-14-2023), Snakebit (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 PM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 317 Posts

Wow that's a great build. Some more info on the options... the Design Package (option code P40) could be added to any late 987.2 Boxster or Cayman and was basically a cosmetic package including all the black bits listed... roll bar, vent surrounds, interior trim, side vents, side mirrors, rear model script, exhaust tips and most importantly the black 19" wheels from the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. Still to this day the lightest 19" road wheels made by Porsche. The Design Package parts were the basis for the 2012 "Black Edition" models which only came in black paint and S models. The Design Package was available on any trim and color though and looks phenomenal IMO. The SportDesign Package (option code XAL) was for the unique front bumper spoiler and rear wing.

When the Design Package (P40) and SportDesign Package (XAL) were combined, Porsche called it the Design Sport Package (P46). So your car should have the black bits and the unique bumper/spoiler. The Design Package by itself was a little over $4,000 while the Design Sport Package was a little over $8,000... they better include the body upgrades (or something additional) for the extra $4k.

Another unique thing about this car... the 11th digit in the VIN is a "S". This is very rare and means the car was manufactured in Porsche's Stuttgart, Germany factory. Nearly all 987 models will have a "U" for the 11th digit, as the 987 was built primarly in Uusikaupunki, Finland by Valmet. Only the very last of the 2012 models were manufactured in Stuttgart.

Design Package on Guards Red... outstanding

Last edited by Zach L; 08-02-2021 at 11:41 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zach L:
Brick317 (09-09-2021), sectachrome (08-03-2021), Snakebit (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:52 PM
Possible981boxst
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Zach L
Wow that's a great build. Some more info on the options... the Design Package (option code P40) could be added to any late 987.2 Boxster or Cayman and was basically a cosmetic package including all the black bits listed... roll bar, vent surrounds, interior trim, side vents, side mirrors, rear model script, exhaust tips and most importantly the black 19" wheels from the Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. Still to this day the lightest 19" road wheels made by Porsche. The Design Package parts were the basis for the 2012 "Black Edition" models which only came in black paint and S models. The Design Package was available on any trim and color though and looks phenomenal IMO. The SportDesign Package (option code XAL) was for the unique front bumper spoiler and rear wing.

When the Design Package (P40) and SportDesign Package (XAL) were combined, Porsche called it the Design Sport Package (P46). So your car should have the black bits and the unique bumper/spoiler. The Design Package by itself was a little over $4,000 while the Design Sport Package was a little over $8,000... they better include the body upgrades (or something additional) for the extra $4k.

Another unique thing about this car... the 11th digit in the VIN is a "S". This is very rare and means the car was manufactured in Porsche's Stuttgart, Germany factory. Nearly all 987 models will have a "U" for the 11th digit, as the 987 was built primarly in Uusikaupunki, Finland by Valmet. Only the very last of the 2012 models were manufactured in Stuttgart.

Design Package on Guards Red... outstanding
Wow, thank you for all that information and that write up. Where did you find that picture? I’ve been scouring the net and only found the green one. Can you provide the link for the front?
Old 08-03-2021, 12:11 AM
Zach L
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Possible981boxst
Wow, thank you for all that information and that write up. Where did you find that picture? I’ve been scouring the net and only found the green one. Can you provide the link for the front?
Most of that info is just built up knowledge from being obsessed with these cars lol. Pic is from Stuttcars: https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/boxster/987.2/ Stuttcars also has guides for all the option codes for nearly every Porsche: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/

Last edited by Zach L; 08-03-2021 at 12:14 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zach L:
Brick317 (09-09-2021), Possible981boxst (08-03-2021), Snakebit (08-03-2021), The Duke (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 12:08 PM
The Duke
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Most of that info is just built up knowledge from being obsessed with these cars lol. Pic is from Stuttcars: https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/boxster/987.2/ Stuttcars also has guides for all the option codes for nearly every Porsche: https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/
From someone who has become equally obsessed, but doesn't yet know as much - it does look as if the car in the above image has been lowered. Could it also have PASM?

Agreed, a beautiful car!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:11 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

All the 2011 and 2012 Boxster Spyders carry the "S" in the 11th VIN digit. This is an exceedingly interesting base Boxster. Perhaps it may have run down the production lines in the vicinity of the last batch of Spyders (pure speculation).
Old 08-03-2021, 12:14 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 512 Likes on 326 Posts

My 2009 was made in Stuttgart.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:47 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 110 Posts

My 2005 Base is a Stuttgart car
Possibly one of the most invisible Porsches ever made, which is actually cool considering how fantastic a sports car it truly is.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:27 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
My 2009 was made in Stuttgart.
How can you tell?

Quick Reply: Carvana 987.2 Boxster Base Preordered