Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b question about disabling PSE on my Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 09:12 AM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Default n00b question about disabling PSE on my Cayman S

I know a variant of this question has been asked and answered many times. I'm writing this for anyone who is struggling to find clarity about the following:

The Car: I have a 987 Cayman S, with Sport Chrono (has button that says "SPORT") but no Exhaust Button (just has spoiler button and PSM button and SPORT). The previous owner fitter an aftermarket exhaust but retained original mufflers.

My Question:

1. Does this set-up have exhaust valves that OPEN or CLOSE at certain RPMs or Speeds? I do notice my exhaust is louder when I am in SPORT mode. BUT when I opened the engine bay, I cannot find the PSE relay that many people disconnect. I'm guessing there is no PSE to disconnect since the car I have DOES NOT have PSE in it (makes sense), so my question is this:

2. While I'm in the engine, is there anything exhaust related I can disconnect to "open-up" the exhaust all the time (not just past 4k RPM), or is there any other quick easter egg mod I can do to get a little better sound? I know the 997s have a resonator in the airbox that you just plug with a silicon cap. Is there anything like that in the 987S that I can do?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:47 PM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hari,

We'll need more info regarding "previous owner fitted an aftermarket exhaust but retained original mufflers."

Since you don't have an "exhaust" button on the button panel, you don't have an OEM PSE. You probably knew that. On my 2010 BS, the stock ehaust system is headers with cats, and mufflers with secondary cats, plus exhaust tips. With OEM PSE the "mufflers with cats" section gets the addition of a valve which by-passes most of the muffler and all of the secondary cats.

If the previous owner replaced the mufflers then he/she probably replaced that entire section. He/she may have put in a valved system. I think your options are to (1) look for a hidden swich to control the valves, maybe under the dash, maybe a key fob, (2) contact the previous owner for more info, or (3) crawl under the car with a flashlight to look for a valve. You could also ask your favorite indie to have a look and let you know.

Good luck!

Joe Henley

PS: Yes, it does soiumd better in "sport" mode. Not because it's a valved exhaust, but because the sport mode switch changes the engine mapping for intake, ignition, and exhaust valve timing.
Old 07-04-2021, 05:50 PM
haripin
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Henley
Hari,

We'll need more info regarding "previous owner fitted an aftermarket exhaust but retained original mufflers."

Since you don't have an "exhaust" button on the button panel, you don't have an OEM PSE. You probably knew that. On my 2010 BS, the stock ehaust system is headers with cats, and mufflers with secondary cats, plus exhaust tips. With OEM PSE the "mufflers with cats" section gets the addition of a valve which by-passes most of the muffler and all of the secondary cats.

If the previous owner replaced the mufflers then he/she probably replaced that entire section. He/she may have put in a valved system. I think your options are to (1) look for a hidden swich to control the valves, maybe under the dash, maybe a key fob, (2) contact the previous owner for more info, or (3) crawl under the car with a flashlight to look for a valve. You could also ask your favorite indie to have a look and let you know.

Good luck!

Joe Henley

PS: Yes, it does soiumd better in "sport" mode. Not because it's a valved exhaust, but because the sport mode switch changes the engine mapping for intake, ignition, and exhaust valve timing.
Thanks man!

So. Looks like the exhaust is aftermarket but does not have any values as far as I can see. The exhaust has two big mufflers and the cats have been retained. The headers are stock. It looks like exhaust the PO opted for is fairly mild -- which I like -- I don't want anything crazy loud but I could use an extra 10-15% sound.

So, what can I do to get some more OOMPH out of the exhaust (without upgrading the exhaust etc.) ?
Old 07-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hari,
If the "cats have been retained", I'm assiming you're talking about those on the headers. The secondary cats are inside those big muffler cans, so impossible to see. I've attached a page from the 987.2 parts catalog so you can see what I mean.

If you just want a bit more sound, look into the "carnewal" option; search for it on this site. There are tons of articles and notes on here about it.

If you want more sound and a bit more power, consider some sport headers. It's more money, but you do get more power as a result.

More power .... guuud!!

Joe Henley

Quick Reply: n00b question about disabling PSE on my Cayman S