Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 base cayman journey

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2021, 05:30 PM
CNClester
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
Default 07 base cayman journey

Hello everyone. My first thread, thought I'd share my cayman experience.
First, absolute wonderful driving experience. Not as powerful as my m roadster was, but better handling and ride. I bought the car with 86000 miles and a good porsche service history. Paid 19.2 k. Car was driven in orlando during heavy road resurfacing and looked like auto car washes its entire life. Rock chips all over the hood. I knew I was getting a project, and happy to do so.
I had to use a rotary polisher at first to get the scratches out , then a flex da polisher to finish. Took 1 day and 4 evenings. Then three coats of ceramic, and had the oz wheels powdercoated.
As i got to premptivly installing numeric cables I found oil covering the wheelwell. Strut failure. Installed struts, lower control arms, and wheel bearings. Then front struts and aos.
Thought I had a noisy waterpump, so replaced it and thermostat. Still had a rattle at idle. Power steering pump.
Im waiting on new ps resivour now. Should have it on the road next week. The power steering pump r & r is not for the timid. Its not terribly difficult but you need lots of patience.
It would also be beneficial to be a contortionist. I am not and my body is reminding me wholesale today.
Through all this I guess I'm saying that to drive the cayman is so intoxicating, all the effort to give it a new lease on life is worth it. I have my first porsche now, and I understand. There is no substitute.
Ive done all this, including a set of sport seats and all in I'm just over 24 k invested and my time. Perhaps a 3.8 swap is in the future.
Thanks for reading, have a good day.
Lester

The following 7 users liked this post by CNClester:
adam_987.2 (06-26-2021), CW987 (06-27-2021), FLT6SPD (06-27-2021), moburki (07-02-2021), Robert Nixon (06-26-2021), Snakebit (06-26-2021), The Duke (06-25-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-24-2021, 05:33 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Congratulation! I have an 09 S that I just got and am loving it more and more as I get comfortable in it. They're great cars and I've owned many Porsches.