Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Galvano Silver -> Is this the same?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 07:58 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Galvano Silver -> Is this the same?

Just looking to paint some interior trim to match the interior better.
I'm looking to paint them in Galvano silver, as it would be much cheaper than buying all these pieces pre-finished in that colour.
I've tried searching for the parts on ebay from breakers, but nobody wants to sell what I need separately, so im thinking of refinishing my existing pieces.

I'm aware that the Porsche Galvano silver is apparently a carefully guarded secret, but from my research I've discovered that Audi has an exterior paint and a wheel colour also named "Galvano Silver".
Also helps that Audi = VW = Porsche to some extent.
The body paint code is L17Q and the wheel paint code is LD8.
The L17Q will be much easier to source, as exterior paints are catalogued by most paint shops, but does anyone have any experience here?

I'd like to know how close the Audi colour is to the Porsche trim colour before I go ahead and purchase a bunch of supplies only to find out after the colour is way off.

Since these pieces will not be very close to other Galvano silver pieces, I am not worried if it is off by like 5%, but I'd like for it to be close!
Old 06-12-2021, 09:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

You may be on to something, here is a link to the hand brake which from Suncoast and they mention Galvano silver in the description: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/AluBrakeTEQ.html
Old 06-12-2021, 09:14 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
You may be on to something, here is a link to the hand brake which from Suncoast and they mention Galvano silver in the description: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/AluBrakeTEQ.html
Yes, it is somewhat known that the silver trim for the dash strip, door handles, shifter trim, etc. is 'Galvano Silver' but there is no known paint code for the Porsche colour.
My question is if anyone has any experience with finding a match, and how close the Audi colours may be.
Just looking at the Audi car in photos, it looks to be in the same family of metallic silvers without a large metallic flake, but I obviously cannot find any side-by-sides.

Perhaps I may look into Audi's used car inventory and see if any of my local dealers have a 'Galvano Silver' car on the lot, then I'll bring my trim piece to compare.
I'll do that now, but if anyone has any experience, I'd appreciate the input!
Old 06-12-2021, 11:29 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Forget the color code. Even if you had it, what you have the color has shifted over time.

Go to a commercial paint shop and have them color match. Spray a sample and tweak the color to your liking. Usually takes 2 to 3 tries to get a good match.
The following users liked this post:
Snakebit (06-13-2021)

Quick Reply: Galvano Silver -> Is this the same?