Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price for a 987.2 Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 05:53 PM
Slim987
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zstokes
The car I’m looking at is indeed the base 987.1, 2.7L 6. I specifically asked the mech this morning - he had 4 Porsches in the garage as I spoke to him, several more in the lot - about bore scoring. He said I had nothing to worry about.

I do have a fund set aside after purchase for “ah well, it’s 13 years old” but he said it’s one of the cleanest 987s he’s seen.

I do appreciate the concern but at some point due diligence has been done and you have to hit the go switch.
congrats. I believe those 2.7L cars are 5speed manual instead of 6speed. Enjoy and show pics!
Old 03-25-2021, 06:44 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

zstokes, I hope you've been able to test drive some cars before jumping into this auction so that you're sure what you want. The car on BaT is really nice, but it looks like its heading well over $30k. It's a rare spec, but its still a .1 base and you're well into S or .2 territory at that point. That car will likely need things like spark plugs, belt, and trans flush due to age and it doesn't seem clear if that's been done recently or not. Not to mention the new brakes you said it needs.

Again, it looks really nice. But you originally came here looking for a .2 S which has 75 more hp than this car so just make sure you're not making an overly emotional decision.
The following users liked this post:
zstokes (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 07:35 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sectachrome
zstokes, I hope you've been able to test drive some cars before jumping into this auction so that you're sure what you want. The car on BaT is really nice, but it looks like its heading well over $30k. It's a rare spec, but its still a .1 base and you're well into S or .2 territory at that point. That car will likely need things like spark plugs, belt, and trans flush due to age and it doesn't seem clear if that's been done recently or not. Not to mention the new brakes you said it needs.

Again, it looks really nice. But you originally came here looking for a .2 S which has 75 more hp than this car so just make sure you're not making an overly emotional decision.
I have a hard limit, and I will not go above it. Fairly close now, but still some wiggle room. I am definitely not trying to set a 987.1 BaT record. A .2 S would be lovely but that's another 10k realistically, more than I'm willing to spend right now.
There are plenty of other fish in the sea. If I hook and land this one, great. If I have to keep fishing for a while, also great.
Thanks for the comments, I do appreciate that.
sectachrome (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 08:10 PM
oofie810
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to throw a quick update.

I'm going to look at a really great 987.1 base tomorrow that's up for auction. PPI is being done.
I'm also looking at a 987.2 base that's listed from a private seller.

I want to thank the community *again* for all the information in this thread and on the board. I'm way more prepared to buy and own my first Porsche Cayman.
What happened to the 987.2 base?
Old 03-25-2021, 08:35 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Originally Posted by oofie810
What happened to the 987.2 base?
We traded initial emails. I did pull the Carfax and it has had 6 owners, half of them from snowy climate. Means nothing in an of itself, but not ideal. Also not optioned very well, but acceptable.

Buying sight unseen and shipping across the country is something I feel like I need to dive into a bit more.
Old 03-25-2021, 08:53 PM
nesposito
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

We traded initial emails. I did pull the Carfax and it has had 6 owners, half of them from snowy climate. Means nothing in an of itself, but not ideal. Also not optioned very well, but acceptable.

Buying sight unseen and shipping across the country is something I feel like I need to dive into a bit more.
Take your time. You will find what you want. I've been buying these cars for 35 years and it always seems to work out. I would never buy sight unseen. Get on a plane and do the deal. It's worth the extra money.
zstokes (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 05:52 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Originally Posted by nesposito
Take your time. You will find what you want. I've been buying these cars for 35 years and it always seems to work out. I would never buy sight unseen. Get on a plane and do the deal. It's worth the extra money.
Indeed. The pricing on that auction I was in just went nuclear-silly.

I think I'm going to just relax into a nice search for exactly what I want.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:38 PM
catnap
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you looking at this one on The Mart? 2010 Cayman

I've had my eye on that. Any other red flags besides what you mentioned? Thanks.

I've got the same issue in that I'm on the west coast in Seattle. Wouldn't mind flying out for a good car, but really want to learns as much as possible before hand.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:45 PM
zstokes
Advanced

Originally Posted by catnap

I've had my eye on that. Any other red flags besides what you mentioned? Thanks.

I've got the same issue in that I'm on the west coast in Seattle. Wouldn't mind flying out for a good car, but really want to learns as much as possible before hand.
Good eye - that's the one.

I can't think of any red flags at all other than the high ownership, but I don't think I'm going to be buying sight unseen. My OCD is not going to let me do that. And I'm not going to fly across the country for a Silver Cayman.

I think I'm going to sit tight, drive some more cars I've been thinking about, and if my Ruby Red or Porsche Racing Green 987.2 car with dark interior comes up, I'll make plans. This has been an enlightening experience, and the market for these cars is nuts right now.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:46 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

You should certainly buy the car from the other thread if possible but cars in winter climates should not be a deterrent either. My Cayman started life in Indiana and you can STILL eat off the underside of the car 11 years later.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:57 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

I was watching that Ruby Red on BaT as well and surprised it went that high for a 987.1, though the low mileage definitely was nice. But it also seemed like a flip with just a 5-month ownership period.
PhillyNate (03-27-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 07:00 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by catnap

I haven't made an ad yet but I'm selling mine (my thread's on the first page). I flew up to Seattle in 2017 for an E39 M5 and drove it down the coast...great experience! Of course, that wasn't during a pandemic but shouldn't be too bad these days.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:15 PM
catnap
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I haven't made an ad yet but I'm selling mine (my thread's on the first page). I flew up to Seattle in 2017 for an E39 M5 and drove it down the coast...great experience! Of course, that wasn't during a pandemic but shouldn't be too bad these days.
I was reading that. I'd be interested. I'll PM you.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:39 AM
lain09
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If you look at the past few 987.1 it seems BAT listings get ridiculously high for off colors or super low mileage ones. 40k for a 987.1 Macadamia brown or for one with 5k miles. I feel the comments down play a lot of the 987.1 issues too, base or not.
PhillyNate (03-27-2021)
Old 03-27-2021, 02:20 PM
PhillyNate
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by lain09
If you look at the past few 987.1 it seems BAT listings get ridiculously high for off colors or super low mileage ones. 40k for a 987.1 Macadamia brown or for one with 5k miles. I feel the comments down play a lot of the 987.1 issues too, base or not.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Quick Reply: Price for a 987.2 Cayman?