Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please let me know if my Cayman S gearbox mount is normal or damaged. Appreciate it!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 12:47 PM
Dave Frc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please let me know if my Cayman S gearbox mount is normal or damaged. Appreciate it!

I purchased a used Cayman S gearbox for a custom project, so I have nothing to compare the mounts to. I did not see the car that it came out of, not sure where the damage was. The driver's side mount appears to be cocked forward, the passenger mount is a perfect 90 degrees to the gearbox. Is this normal or do I need a new driver's driver's side mount?Thanks!
Dave

Old 02-17-2021, 07:22 PM
chaos2984
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

I can't tell at all from the pics. not sure what your putting this into but is the cost of the mounts worth it to gamble and not just replace them now before you put the trans in? I would post closer up pics.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:52 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks bent to me, but I have a 981. A new one costs ~$400, depending on where you buy.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:55 PM
jscott82
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

I went back through my pics from when I had the trans out and don't have any good reference. I seem to recall it looking like that though.

But let's dissect this a bit. The flat "arms" of the mount should be straight and in your Pic they look straight. So that mean any bend would be in the trans casting. And cast alum does not bend that much without cracking. I would clean it and take a hard look.

You should really do a dye penatrent test anyway. Since you don't know the history, it should be considered suspect even if it's deemed straight. Dye test is relatively cheap and easy if you haven't done one.
The following users liked this post:
Dave Frc (02-17-2021)
Old 02-17-2021, 10:26 PM
Dave Frc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I agree that the thin steel portion is not bent. I also looked closely at the aluminum base where it attaches to the gearbox, and I did not see any stress cracking etc. It just looked odd to me that the mount isn't perpendicular to the gearbox on one side and perfectly perpendicular on the other. If anyone can definitely confirm this, please let me know!
Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-20-2021, 10:49 AM
RGS
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 369 Likes on 232 Posts

I agree with the others, the arm does not look bent, the casting looks purposefully angled to create that angle. The metal arm would be the first to bend if damaged or hit from that direction. I think you are ok.

RGS
- Radiator Grille Store

OEM Look, Economical Protection
www.radiatorgrillestore.com

Quick Reply: Please let me know if my Cayman S gearbox mount is normal or damaged. Appreciate it!