Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Brake vacuum pump sounds like broken engine!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 10:03 AM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 987.2 Brake vacuum pump sounds like broken engine!

3 weeks ago when I was on the Autobahn I had to brake with 250km/h. I directly heard a very loud metal sound. I thought blew up engine MA1.21 with 200.000 km on the clock.
There where no signs before so lucky I could brake and put the car aside.

My brake's where very hard and I really had to press them. But the pedal didn't move.
I stopped the car and Towed it away.

At home I found out that my vacuum brake booster (702388180 (100euro), Pierburg replacement part) was litterly broken in half.
The cap was loose and the inner parts fell out.

This is how the parts came out.

I managend to get the part out but it was already dis assembled. Today I got the new part delivered and wanted to screw it in.
But I found out that it does not fit because there is hardly no place to go between the engine and the firewall.

Two questions:
1. Who managed to get the part in Maybe there is a trick?
2. How can I get the engine tilted or moved for 5-10 cm to the rear of the car?

Same engine the brake vacuum pump is the metal cap on the right side next to the exhaust.

This is how the new parts looks like.

So on one hand I am happy that my engine didn't blew up. I found the cause and wanted to fix it. Now my engine is open and I can't move it. So I am looking for DIY advice.
Attached Files
Old 02-02-2021, 01:25 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Removal and installation is done from under the car. Jack up the car and remove the rear underbody cover. You should then have access.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:33 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 481 Likes on 350 Posts

Sorry no DIY advice. Happened to me on the track on a Friday first session with my 09 Boxster PDK. My shop instantly knew what had happened when I described the loud clank and then super hard brakes with no vacuum boost. Part was readily available from the dealer so that tells you it happens often enough for them to stock the part. They had a mechanic who works until 10, so fixed that day and back on the track Saturday. Had to pay extra to have the engine and bay degreased/oiled.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:46 AM
Cayman987.2
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! I call with a Porsche Indie. They only have time in 2 weeks and they need to tow away my car.
I would love to get it fixed.

We need to move the engine a bit and that's something I never did.
Can I get the engine lose or do I have to unscrew every thing and Is it the same procedure as with getting the engine out?
Old 02-03-2021, 12:05 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

I haven't done the job myself, but like Zuch said it should be do-able from below.

If the service manual can be trusted there's no need to move the engine, just remove the rear underbody cover and work from there.
Old 02-03-2021, 12:57 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on what MrMoose said!
Old 02-03-2021, 02:06 PM
tjsmaryland
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I replaced the vacuum pump in my 981 GT4 as part of my winter maintenance about 5 weeks ago. I suspect the process is similar for your car, as both have little room between the engine and firewall to fit the pump. I don't believe you will need to remove or shift your engine to install the new pump.

The rear underbody panel must be removed. I had my car up on stands high enough to be able to slide underneath and access the pump. You need to lube the large o-ring on the the new pump, as well as the opening in the engine that the pump slides into. When you fit the pump into the engine opening, make sure the drive cog on the pump is aligned with the same orientation as the drive cog on the camshaft. Push the pump in as far as possible into the engine opening, Note that the o-ring will only let you push the pump in so far, and will push the pump back out of the engine before the pump is seated. I held the pump in place with one hand while threading in several of the bolts with the other hand. I used the bolts to slowly draw the pump in while pushing on the pump to seat it into the engine. All in, it took me several hours to mount the pump, then another 2 hours to reinstall the metal vacuum line.

You will need a several ratcheting closed end wrenches, both straight and offset, along with a 1/4" drive torx socket and small ratchet to do this job.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Brake vacuum pump sounds like broken engine!