Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boxster Top Now Has Creases and Rubs - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 12:33 PM
dbarry
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the video idea! Of course now I am curious about the "shield" part being left off. I may have to do a video exploratory look myself today. That answer makes sense as when I picked the car up mid Oct from the shop, the top was up and I did not notice anything. A few weeks later started noticing...
Old 01-08-2021, 09:28 AM
dbarry
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not know about helping with your garage project, but Optimax, you and I could meet at this Sundays Cars and Coffee in Waxhaw. Cureton shopping center parking lot 7:30-9:30. Would be helpful for other first hand opinions on my top....
Old 02-14-2021, 04:19 PM
subyking
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i just a 981 roof repair video maybe this can help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmW...efeat.Subyking
The following users liked this post:
gearFX (02-15-2021)
Old 02-15-2021, 05:02 PM
professsorz
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarry
Well it seems a lot of agreement on this part not being put back on! The creases rubs are equal on both sides. So I will take the additional advice to not fool with checking the top myself - but take back to the shop and let them take it apart to see. The shop did suggest that with the top down in cooler weather the folds can rub against each other and more so on rough roads. They also followed saying with warmth the creases should smooth out.... Again - since I bought a perfect top and now it is not after only 3 months of ownership makes me ill! Let alone what it does to my future resale value! Thanks everyone
There are two small spots of slight abrasion on mine; one left and one right. I did a kludgy “fix” of putting a 1/2 inch piece of electrical tape over them. Oddly enough, it’s managed to stay on for months so far and kept any further abrasion from happening.
The following users liked this post:
dbarry (03-02-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 10:14 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by subyking
i just a 981 roof repair video maybe this can help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmW...efeat.Subyking
Man, that dude did a lot of work just to find it was the switch in the roof mechanism that tells the body control computer the latch is fully retracted. If the computer can't confirm the roof/windshield latch is fully retracted, it won't allow the roof to retract beyond a certain point to prevent damage to the car interior or the latch itself. Lots of detail in that video about how the entire room mechanism can be removed, where the body control unit is (under driver's seat), and the roof/windshield latch mechanism.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM
subyking
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

thank you its hard to find information about these cars sometimes so I had to go threw the whole system to fine the issue but I'm sure this video i made will help people in the next few years as these cars get older
please subscribe it cost you guys nothing and helps develop my channel thank you guys

Quick Reply: Boxster Top Now Has Creases and Rubs - Why?