Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant smell after drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 01:47 AM
imtherealgusbus
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant smell after drive

Hello! Quick Question,

I've recently purchased a 2007 Boxster S with around 90,000 miles on it and after I come back from a drive (highway and spirited drives), I would have a lingering coolant smell coming from the engine vent. I do not have any visible leaks nor do I have any sign of a low coolant level. I always check the coolant level before I go on a drive and it pretty much is the same every time. I also got a compression test on the coolant reservoir and the indy shop told me the resulting pressure was fine.

Any ideas on what this smell might be?

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2020, 09:49 AM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 83 Posts

Could it be the remnants of a coolant leak that was fixed just before you purchased the car? I recently had a small coolant leak that was fixed by a hose replacement on my 2011 Spyder. That leak was causing a small puddle (about 2” diameter) on the floor after each drive, with a minimal drop in coolant reservoir level. Hose replaced, no more puddling, but I still have a lingering hot antifreeze smell after drives. I’m guessing that trapped antifreeze residue on various surfaces is still *frying* off, and that is what makes the characteristic smell - will keep checking the coolant level for a while.
Old 12-22-2020, 12:57 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

If you had the system pressure tested and found no leaks, I'd probably be inclined to just try replacing the expansion tank cap. They do wear out eventually and they're not very expensive.
Old 12-22-2020, 02:31 PM
zuch
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Check the water pump. Look for any play at all in the pulley.
The following users liked this post:
ehokana (12-23-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 02:51 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMoose
If you had the system pressure tested and found no leaks, I'd probably be inclined to just try replacing the expansion tank cap. They do wear out eventually and they're not very expensive.
And this part has undergone like 4 revisions. I replaced mine, slight smells went away.

Check the P/N on the cap and compare to latest available from Porsche to see if it's an "old" cap.
The following users liked this post:
MrMoose (12-22-2020)

Quick Reply: Coolant smell after drive