Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension and daily driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 06:56 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Suspension and daily driving

Hello, vehicle in question is a daily driven 987.2 Base without PASM, 10 years old with 97k miles, 18in wheels with tire profile being 40.

I was wondering what would be the best choice to improve ride quality but also keep sportiness to the car? I'm unsure which coil overs and lower springs to go for and which one of these products should I go for.
Roads in North Texas (DFW) can be rough and I don't want to lose the handling characteristic of the car.

Any suggestions/thoughts?
Old 11-09-2020, 10:30 AM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Bilstein is great for this, IMO.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:00 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

In the spring I switched my '11 S with 107,xxx miles to Bilstein B8s and H&R lowering springs. My experience has been positive to this point but was well aware that overall ride quality would be different. It definitely handles better but I do feel road imperfections just a bit more. We aren't talking any big difference, I am aware of those imperfections more. Now is that in my head because of the change or not is a big question. Bottom line for me, it pretty much ever so slightly stiffer than stock.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:55 PM
bassie81
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

OEM replacement parts....

your shocks are pretty worn by now, replace them and you ll enjoy the comfort and sporty ride you are looking for.
The following 2 users liked this post by bassie81:
SeanPatrick31 (11-10-2020), txbdan (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 01:36 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

OEM replacement for ride quality. Eibach progressive springs are great for this too.

I have Ohlins coilovers and although I know you didn't ask.... I love them but think you'll hate them. They are spectacular for sportiness and handling but as much improved as they are in this area there is a direct correlation against comfort on bad roads.
Old 11-09-2020, 02:09 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by bassie81
OEM replacement parts....

your shocks are pretty worn by now, replace them and you ll enjoy the comfort and sporty ride you are looking for.
This. Even Bilsteins will stiffen up the ride.
Old 11-09-2020, 03:44 PM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I also have an f150 which was purchased new. I replaced the rear shocks with Bilsteins to improve the trucks's behaviour on tracks and speed bumps etc. 30,000 kms later, urban driving only (no off-roading) one of the two has failed.

This is no biggy except that their warranty requires you to mail the dud shocks to Bilstein, pay $30 for handling, then they will determine if the fault is theirs and then you get replacements. Really? I should have read the fine print when I bought " lifetime warranty" products from Bilstein.

I will never buy another Bilstein product and I suggest you investigate further before buying their "stuff."

I also think OEM - they got it right.

Last edited by xsbank; 11-09-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 04:29 PM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Going OEM seems like a solid choice. Do you think I would need to replace the strut assemblies and/or the shock absorbers? And the bushings and other wear and tear parts?

Suspension seems to be going fine right now, but again, the age of the parts is what concerns me. Plus the protection boot for the shock absorber is deteriorated.

Also honestly, I wouldn't mind lowering the car just a little. I'm still young and it's not like stiffer suspension beating me up is going to take that big of a toll on me. The roads around here are decent but are not super duper fantastic either. But it's a daily driven car so I'm not sure if that would be the best choice... but I do like to have fun with the car. I suppose I could go with Cayman R suspension if I wanted both.

Last edited by acsX; 11-09-2020 at 04:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by acsX:
bd999 (02-21-2024), SeanPatrick31 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 05:18 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by acsX
Going OEM seems like a solid choice. Do you think I would need to replace the strut assemblies and/or the shock absorbers? And the bushings and other wear and tear parts?

Suspension seems to be going fine right now, but again, the age of the parts is what concerns me. Plus the protection boot for the shock absorber is deteriorated.

Also honestly, I wouldn't mind lowering the car just a little. I'm still young and it's not like stiffer suspension beating me up is going to take that big of a toll on me. The roads around here are decent but are not super duper fantastic either. But it's a daily driven car so I'm not sure if that would be the best choice... but I do like to have fun with the car. I suppose I could go with Cayman R suspension if I wanted both.

I had 85K on my 987.1 S last year when I replaced the stock suspension with Bilstein B16 PSS9's and it made a huge difference in the car. I lowered it about 1 inch and left it on the softest setting as I daily drive this car 120 miles a day round trip. It is definitely "harsher" than the stock suspension, but is not that bad for daily driving.

Most of my driving is on country roads until I hit Philly and then I just have to remember where the potholes are. I would make the same decision again. It also looks much better lowered slightly and handles much better in corners. I did the install myself and it was not a bad job.
Old 11-11-2020, 05:24 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're considering CR shocks just get Bilstein. They're close enough in performance to justify the difference. The bilstein are not WORLDS stiffer than stock - they are still perfectly fine for everyday use. I know, I used them on my Cayman R for over a year.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:02 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Pictures of the current suspension, featuring a worn gasket I believe and worn protection boots for the shock absorbers. Not sure if it's any concern, but there is also a small creak after I put pressure onto the the front driver's side fender and push up and down on it but it goes away a few shoves and the sound only happens occasionally after I come back from a drive.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:06 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Thinking about doing the suspension with Cayman R springs and Bilstein B8s and replacing the LCAs with OEM as well beefing up the tire size up 245/275 (I like thick tires and I want to do some autocross). Think that would work well?
Old 12-10-2020, 11:51 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

Tires can also affect ride comfort. Not sure what you have now but continental Dws 06 tires will bias you to ride comfort but you’ll give up a bit in steering response/feel. I think they’re a great every day year around tire for someone who prioritizes ride.
Old 12-11-2020, 04:16 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

I have the same tires as well and they're great.

Of course if I were to get thicker tires, I would probably go with summer tires. I have Firehawk Indy 500s on my NC Miata and they're not bad, ride quality is very good, but not a good comparison to go off of considering the tires on that car are 195/55/16.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:43 AM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Thinking about doing the suspension with Cayman R springs and Bilstein B8s and replacing the LCAs with OEM as well beefing up the tire size up 245/275 (I like thick tires and I want to do some autocross). Think that would work well?
You'll want to replace the strut mounts and bumpstops when you replace the shocks. At that age/mileage everything rubber is suspect.

Quick Reply: Suspension and daily driving