Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)

O2 Sensor "Heater" Issue, need advise how to proceed.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020 | 07:11 PM
AustinSedz
Intermediate

Default O2 Sensor "Heater" Issue, need advise how to proceed.

I was hoping someone could help me out here, as I am not sure what steps to make next...

2009 Cayman 2.9
Car is running flawlessly, but am getting a CEL for P2231 (O2 Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted to Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1)
I replaced the driver front (Bank 1 Sensor 1) o2 sensor with a Bosch 17224, and cleared the codes with my Durametric.

I drove the car close to 30km, then the code returned. I cleared it a second time, and after 70km it returned. Third time, 30km again.

I tried to monitor the values on the front o2, but the Durametric only has an o2 monitor for the rear o2 sensors.
The o2 sensors and o2 sensor heaters have a ‘pass’ under the ready monitors.
Approx 8000km ago, I had Soul long tube catted headers installed at a shop.
The Codes showed up probably 2000km ago maximum, but car has never had any running issues.

I am assuming the next step is to check the o2 circuit for damage, but wanted to run tests first to see if the signal is erratic or just frozen/non-operational.
Also, I am currently working on jack stands, so does anyone have a diagram for the o2 sensor circuit on hand?
I only know what I know from running the line (with the engine covers off) to replace it, but I don't know so much where the black car-side plug/wire leads to.

Does anyone have advise as to the next steps to take?
For now the car is running and driving fine, but obviously the CEL is illuminated.
I'd like to try my best to remedy the issue myself before I drop it off at a shop so soon before storage, and dump 100's of dollars on diagnostics...
Much appreciated!
Old 11-25-2020 | 05:39 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

If you replaced the drivers side o2 sensor thats bank 2, bank one is on the passenger side

Quick Reply: O2 Sensor "Heater" Issue, need advise how to proceed.