Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing current seats with sport seats, what are my options?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 02:41 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Replacing current seats with sport seats, what are my options?

I'm looking at replacing my current sand beige seats with sand beige sport seats/sport seats plus as a future upgrade. What are my current options in obtaining these seats? Just keep an eye on the marketplace? Or would buying seats that are a different color other than beige and order replacement seat leather from Suncoast to have them reupholstered work as an option as well?
Old 10-28-2020, 11:56 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 214 Likes on 145 Posts

Look for them in the marketplace. I doubt that recovering a set with your color would be in any way cost effective. Put up a WTB ad, but you will have to be a member.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:01 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

They pop up on eBay as well. I've mostly seen black ones. I kind of want them too, but I dont know if the difference is worth $4k (what they seem to be going for) to me.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:15 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

I bought a set of sports seats for about $2400 about 3 years ago. They were from a 911 GT3 of the same model year as my Boxster S. I did have the centers reupholstered because i was putting the car together a particular way. 4K seems a bit much for these, I think I've seen them under 3K in the marketplace several times.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:33 PM
sectachrome
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by andy7777
I bought a set of sports seats for about $2400 about 3 years ago. They were from a 911 GT3 of the same model year as my Boxster S. I did have the centers reupholstered because i was putting the car together a particular way. 4K seems a bit much for these, I think I've seen them under 3K in the marketplace several times.
Maybe you're right. Theres a black set in the marketplace right now for $2500. I think the eBay ones are probably including shipping which I'm guessing is pretty expensive.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:19 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Will non-heated seat connector (the yellow plastic bit) work with a connector with heated seats? Or for when changing out seats, **everything** has to be 1:1? Because I know something as major as 14 way seats won't work, but I'm not sure about something as minor as heating coils.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:38 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Yes, that's what I did. An experienced tech at my indie shop had to match up the pins on the connectors a little. The harness needs to communicate with the airbags and of course the power adjusters The connectors will physically snap together but on heated and non heated seats they don't quite match up.

At least that was my experience, and my replacement seats came from a 911 of the same year.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:36 PM
Four Ring Circus
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by acsX
I'm looking at replacing my current sand beige seats with sand beige sport seats/sport seats plus as a future upgrade. What are my current options in obtaining these seats? Just keep an eye on the marketplace? Or would buying seats that are a different color other than beige and order replacement seat leather from Suncoast to have them reupholstered work as an option as well?
PM me and we can talk if you are ok with black. Have some 18 ways adaptive sports seats plus coming out of my Cayman this winter when I get race seats/harnesses.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:48 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Four Ring Circus
PM me and we can talk if you are ok with black. Have some 18 ways adaptive sports seats plus coming out of my Cayman this winter when I get race seats/harnesses.
Unfortunately I have two-way manual seats and so I'm not sure if the wiring for the 18 way would work with it

Yes, that's what I did. An experienced tech at my indie shop had to match up the pins on the connectors a little. The harness needs to communicate with the airbags and of course the power adjusters The connectors will physically snap together but on heated and non heated seats they don't quite match up.

At least that was my experience, and my replacement seats came from a 911 of the same year.
Didn't cost much for the pins to be lined up I imagine? Do you know per chance by the extent to how much they can match up the pins, say fitting a 14/18 way seat into a car that manual seats to begin with?

Last edited by acsX; 01-10-2021 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:54 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Don't know. It's logical to assume that the harness on the car is ready to power any of the seat options, even your manual seats have a power adjustment for recline, and the airbags need a power supply. Like I said, I replaced the base seats with the sports seats that have the same power recline. The 18 ways just have more motors.

Unfortunately you won't know until you try yourself. The tech who did my work is a really smart and very experienced guy, now retired lol who spent a couple hours figuring out how to make the pins match. The trick is to avoid getting the airbag light and getting power to the right connection That's the best I can tell you.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:55 AM
acsX
Rennlist Member

Don't know. It's logical to assume that the harness on the car is ready to power any of the seat options, even your manual seats have a power adjustment for recline, and the airbags need a power supply. Like I said, I replaced the base seats with the sports seats that have the same power recline. The 18 ways just have more motors.

Unfortunately you won't know until you try yourself. The tech who did my work is a really smart and very experienced guy, now retired lol who spent a couple hours figuring out how to make the pins match. The trick is to avoid getting the airbag light and getting power to the right connection That's the best I can tell you.

Also curious, it was just a regular indie auto shop?

Quick Reply: Replacing current seats with sport seats, what are my options?