Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit in a 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 09:21 PM
browncf
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 991.2 Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit in a 987.1

At this point it is not news that most modern Porsche steering wheels (991, etc) will physically fit in earlier models (987, etc). Also, most folks know that there is a product called the GPS (German Performance Service) adapter, https://gpsadapter.us, that most of the 991.1 folks use to enable the multifunction and/or heating function of a 991.2 steering wheel. Here is a link to the "mother" thread for the retrofit: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9943...a-991-1-a.html
However, the multifunction controls are enabled to control the stock PCM (e.g. PCM 3.1 in 991.1). I upgraded my 2014 C2S 991.1 non-multifunction, non-heated steering wheel to the 991.2 MF, heated steering wheel by replacing the steering control module, the clock spring, installing the GPS adapter, and having the dealership code it. It works great and controls the PCM just as nature intended.

So why am I posting this in this forum? Well, I then attempted something similar with my 2006 Cayman S 987.1. The 987.1 had the sport steering wheel, no-multifunction, and no heat. Notably I had already replaced the ancient PCM 2.1 with a Kenwood touchscreen head unit and I imagine most everyone has dumped the PCM at this point. The guy who designed the GPS adapter indicated to me that, while heat isn't really capable of being retrofitted on the 987.1/997.1, that volume up/down could be activated. Those of you who have done this upgrade will realize that buying a new steering wheel, airbag, steering wheel control module, and paying for programming is a tad expensive if the only result is volume control.

So I decided to experiment. There is a device called the Paser Unican Plus. https://automotive.paser.it/en-gb/St...p81c62c63.html
The Unican Plus is designed to allow someone that has a car that came from the factory with a multifunction steering wheel to to retain those multifunction steering wheel controls when replacing the factory head unit.

So here was the working theory, swap steering control module, swap clockspring for giggles (only really necessary if trying to get heat working I think), install GPS adapter into new 991.2 MF steering wheel, get programming done. At that point, the GPS adapter should be dumping the multifunction command signals onto the bus at which point the Unican Plus should intercept the signals and relay them to the aftermarket head unit.

The result? It worked! Volume control, next/prev song, mute, input switch, phone buttons. The only thing that didn't work, as you might expect, was the "back" button which clears messages and helps navigate car menus and the diamond "joker" key which is configured through the car system. I got a question to the Paser rep in the US about whether those two buttons could be individually programmed and he indicated that they could not.

SO, the moral of this story is, if you have an aftermarket head unit, in theory, you too can upgrade to the the 991.2 (or panamera, or macan, or w/e) MF steering wheel even if you have an aftermarket head unit if you throw a Unican Plus into the mix.

My main tip in this for 987.1/997.1 folks is get the used steering control module first, before you buy anything else. They are darn near unobtanium.

991.1 with fully functional 991.2 MF/heated steering wheel retrofit

987.1 with darn near fully functional 991.2 MF steering wheel retrofit

The following users liked this post:
burnergt4 (10-28-2020)
Old 10-27-2020, 01:25 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Very cool, informative, thanks for sharing
Old 10-27-2020, 07:17 PM
DEEJ11