Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Owner (Kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:22 AM
ehokana
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New Owner (Kinda)

Hey guys- I’ve been creeping on this forum for a while. By way of background, I’ve owned a couple of boxsters in the past; a ‘98 and an ‘02S. I’ve been around the block with a few other P-cars too- a 951, C4s, and a couple of 914’s. While I love my 914, I’ve been itching for something similar but modern. Something I wouldn’t have to wrench-on after a week of driving. I missed my old boxsters and thought it may be a good option for a partial daily driver. Not too bad to wrench on myself, but not in a constant state of adjustment.

Anyway, cut to today- I had been checking out an ‘07 base model up in Ventura and finally had time to go see it in person. It was much better looking in person than I expected, and felt solid driving. The dealer had done some of the maintenance that I was concerned about (belt, suspension components, shifter cable, etc.). After a lunch break to consider the purchase, my better half was able to negotiate the price down a bit further- she plays the “b*tchy wife” role well when she needs to- and we got it to a price point I was happy with. Plus a dealer drivetrain warranty.

From my drive home, everything ran solid. Temp was perfect, motor pulled well, and the car tracked straight. The clutch was a bit concerning at first, but I think it was just my getting used to the heavier clutch again (my 914 and 335 seem to have very light clutches by comparison). There are a couple of rattles from the interior that I’ll chase down in the next few weeks, and the passenger window needs adjustment so it doesn’t catch the top when it closes. I am also thinking a Borla exhaust and new Bilsteins in the next few months. Otherwise, I am very happy thus far; I am not going for speed records, so the 2.7 has more than enough power to have fun on the back roads.

Just wanted to be a “new owner” again and chime in. If there is anyone in the Temecula-area, please reach out to me. I’m new to the 987 lineup, so it would be cool to have a few rennlist connections in the area.

Of course, the obligatory pics too...

The following 3 users liked this post by ehokana:
cavediver32043 (07-20-2020), kiznarsh (08-10-2020), Paul Quilter (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Congrats on the new Boxster. With the 914 in the garage you have a long history of mid engine ownership. With Ortega in your backyard you also have the perfect place to enjoy them.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 07-20-2020, 07:07 PM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Congratulations on the car, but I'm even more jealous of your garage! That is very nice indeed
The following users liked this post:
oldbutslow (07-20-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 PM
KJ67
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks great. Congrats!
Old 07-20-2020, 11:51 PM
CW987
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats! looks great in red. Borla cat-back is a good choice. I have one on my 2.7 cayman, its my favorite mod, sounds awesome.
ehokana (07-21-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 07:53 PM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Your car looks clean, congrats!
There are a few Boxster/Cayman owners on here that are in the area, I haven't met anyone in person yet. I'm just over on the other side of Ortega in OC. We should plan a drive one of these days for a meet and greet while still practicing social distancing.
ehokana (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:06 PM
ehokana
Pro

I would be all for that. I have thought about doing a fun run over the ortegas and then a BBQ for those who want to join- not sure how much interest there would be, but I am certainly willing to host.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:28 PM
st981
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Count me in for the driving part and may be a quick sandwich stop I used to do Ortega on 2 wheels, hell's kitchen, the lookout, then down towards Lake Elsinore then over to Fallbrook. Haven't done that in years now.
ehokana (08-11-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts

Congrats! She's a beaut!
Old 08-10-2020, 01:32 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,341 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by ehokana
Hey guys- I’ve been creeping on this forum for a while. By way of background, I’ve owned a couple of boxsters in the past; a ‘98 and an ‘02S. I’ve been around the block with a few other P-cars too- a 951, C4s, and a couple of 914’s. While I love my 914, I’ve been itching for something similar but modern. Something I wouldn’t have to wrench-on after a week of driving. I missed my old boxsters and thought it may be a good option for a partial daily driver. Not too bad to wrench on myself, but not in a constant state of adjustment.

Anyway, cut to today- I had been checking out an ‘07 base model up in Ventura and finally had time to go see it in person. It was much better looking in person than I expected, and felt solid driving. The dealer had done some of the maintenance that I was concerned about (belt, suspension components, shifter cable, etc.). After a lunch break to consider the purchase, my better half was able to negotiate the price down a bit further- she plays the “b*tchy wife” role well when she needs to- and we got it to a price point I was happy with. Plus a dealer drivetrain warranty.

From my drive home, everything ran solid. Temp was perfect, motor pulled well, and the car tracked straight. The clutch was a bit concerning at first, but I think it was just my getting used to the heavier clutch again (my 914 and 335 seem to have very light clutches by comparison). There are a couple of rattles from the interior that I’ll chase down in the next few weeks, and the passenger window needs adjustment so it doesn’t catch the top when it closes. I am also thinking a Borla exhaust and new Bilsteins in the next few months. Otherwise, I am very happy thus far; I am not going for speed records, so the 2.7 has more than enough power to have fun on the back roads.

Just wanted to be a “new owner” again and chime in. If there is anyone in the Temecula-area, please reach out to me. I’m new to the 987 lineup, so it would be cool to have a few rennlist connections in the area.

Of course, the obligatory pics too...

I would kill for a third garage.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:10 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

https://www.autostacker.com
Not affiliated.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:32 AM
ehokana
Pro

Looks like a QuickJack on steroids. I have the quickjack in the garage now, albeit hidden under the 914 for storage. Its been a fantastic investment for me- the ease of getting the car a couple of feet off the ground in a matter of seconds has saved me a ton of time on repairs

Quick Reply: New Owner (Kinda)