Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How risky is a high mileage Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 04:04 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How risky is a high mileage Cayman

I've been wanting a Cayman for a long time and soon I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I live in the middle east and there are loads of Cayman's around here for sale they are extremely popular. Over here older cars are not in so much demand so there is amazing value once they go over 10 years old - they seem to have depreciated heavil;y by the but dont go much lower. I alrady bought a 2008 Cayenne for next to nothing - only 110,000km/68,000 miles on the clock, fantastic condition and it was been amazing - incredible value. I'd now like to find similar in a Cayman.

I found one with the exact spec I want - but it has 210,000km/ 130,000 miles on it. Seems well looked after and in good conditiony. What I'm wondering is how riskly is it tto buiy a cayman with this much mileage. Are there many here with this much miles? Are there a lot of Cayman's still around with high mileage - or is there a host of problem that start cropping up at this late stage in life? Obviosuly I would ususally say away, but the price is US Equivelent - only $8,000! So it's hard to ignore value like that even if I do have to spend some money maintaining it.

What should be check out what do I need to look out for in a high mileage car like this?
Old 05-25-2020, 01:02 PM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tagging along
The following users liked this post:
BetoAmez (01-08-2023)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:33 PM
Ducati-guy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry i cannot add to this thread. In the same boat myself. Will keep looking here to see what the 'pros' say.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 350 Posts

If all maintenance records are available, its more a combination of age and miles than miles alone. What model year is your find?

I have a 2015 Cayman with 76,000 miles and it drives like new. 130,000 miles would not scare me IF all scheduled service was performed and documented.

The following 2 users liked this post by 981KMAN:
Pavegeno928 (11-07-2021), tomhartzell (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 09:05 AM
Colly
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's 2008. I'll have to check the service etc - but I have been reading and there are a few things that can go wron with Caymans you need to look out for: Ims bearing, Bore scoring and Shifter cable snapping. LAst one does not seem too terrible but the first two can be extremely costly. Preventitive replacements are not cheap either.

Any other thoughts?
Old 05-26-2020, 09:32 AM
tomhartzell
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

If there is an extensive history of service records available from the previous owner(s) -- and it has been driven regularly -- the risk is probably a lot lower.
Old 05-30-2020, 11:38 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

How risky is a high mileage Cayman
Riskier than a high mileage Camaro which is riskier than a high mileage Camry
Not as risky as a high mileage Spitfire which is not as risky as a high mileage ? Is there a car riskier than a Spitfire?
The following users liked this post:
981KMAN (05-30-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 08:34 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Mileage is just an indication of use. To determine if it is worth the purchase, you need to have an understanding of how it was taken care of and the service history. A 120,000 mile car is likely a smarter purchase than an 80,000 mile car if the higher mileage car was well maintained and the lower was neglected.
look past the mileage....understand the history and have a PPI completed.
obviously a low mileage example should have fewer wearable parts that need to be replaced, but a well cared for higher mileage car can be a cheap entry into the brand, and many of wearables may have already been replaced.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jack-Porsche:
873/1960 (11-06-2021), Rad997TT (06-10-2020), shayndelyu (01-12-2024)
Old 06-14-2020, 01:10 PM
MunchBunch
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Colly
I've been wanting a Cayman for a long time and soon I think I'm going to pull the trigger. I live in the middle east and there are loads of Cayman's around here for sale they are extremely popular. Over here older cars are not in so much demand so there is amazing value once they go over 10 years old - they seem to have depreciated heavil;y by the but dont go much lower. I alrady bought a 2008 Cayenne for next to nothing - only 110,000km/68,000 miles on the clock, fantastic condition and it was been amazing - incredible value. I'd now like to find similar in a Cayman.

I found one with the exact spec I want - but it has 210,000km/ 130,000 miles on it. Seems well looked after and in good conditiony. What I'm wondering is how riskly is it tto buiy a cayman with this much mileage. Are there many here with this much miles? Are there a lot of Cayman's still around with high mileage - or is there a host of problem that start cropping up at this late stage in life? Obviosuly I would ususally say away, but the price is US Equivelent - only $8,000! So it's hard to ignore value like that even if I do have to spend some money maintaining it.

What should be check out what do I need to look out for in a high mileage car like this?
A high mileage car is as risky as a low mileage car, The Question on any car is when was it last serviced and has it got any current issues.

i have cars that are over 200k mileage never had issues and one that’s 3 years old with 43k and no end of issues.

It’s a game of Russian roulette without any warranty.

porsches even if you think they won’t cost you anything, if you enjoy them as the cars they are meant to be then they are going to cost you something.

you would be lucky to go a year of hard driving to have no issues with something.

and the Boxer engine is a strange one when your not used to that type of engine with its characteristics.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:35 PM
andrews.nyc
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb 2015 981 Cayman - 60,000 Miles

Originally Posted by Colly

If you're still looking for a Cayman, my close friend for New York City is selling his 2015 Base Cayman with 60,000 miles and counting. It has a custom full exhaust with valves that sounds absolutely amazing (I have a video) aswell as a clear engine cover (oem engine cover is also available). The car has some customizations like tints, black powder coated wheels and some other things. The car is pristine on the inside and out. All the maintenance records and a Carfax are available. He's asking $41,000 for it. If you're interested or anyone else on this forum for that matter, i'll be looking out for replies. I attached an image of the car and the engine bay (engine cover picture is from google but is the same as the one installed) .

This is a recent picture of the car.

Image is from google
Old 11-05-2021, 10:50 AM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by andrews.nyc
If you're still looking for a Cayman, my close friend [from] New York City is selling his 2015 Base Cayman................
Hmmm...... Maybe andrews.nyc considers Long Island the "Middle East". It is east of NYC........ Geography is not everyone's strong suit certainly not mine.

Back on topic...... I agree with all the advise that you should look at the way the car was maintained and the service history, along with the mileage. The 2 main issues you mention: Bore Scoring and IMS Bearing can be discovered during the PPI. Then you will have a better knowledge of what you may be getting into. Remember that IMS Bearing Failure and Bore Scoring are in a minority of the engines Porsche manufactured during that time. If the engine is sound after 210,000 kms, then I would feel its pretty solid.

Best of luck. Drive safe!

Old 11-05-2021, 05:33 PM
mytime1
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Bought my 06 CaymanS with 57K miles and it now has 107K miles 4 yrs later. Regular maintenance, oil changes, plugs, filters, replacement water pump which was easy. I replaced the AOS, belts, brake pads, etc. The car has never had a mechanical issue and is a very fun daily driver for me. I did replace suspension as well around 90K miles as it was getting a little loose.

I wouldn't worry so much about the IMS. The bore scoring seems to be the big issue but only really on the 3.4 cars and ones in colder climates or much lower mileage that are rarely driven. Get the cylinders scoped and if there is no issue, have fun.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:02 AM
873/1960
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm driving an '08 Boxster S with 125,000. As long as it's been well maintained, I'd have 0 hesitation buying it.

Edit: $8000 does sound a little TOO cheap though...

Last edited by 873/1960; 11-06-2021 at 05:03 AM.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:29 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

well, here's my oil analysis from a car with 115K miles. Suggesting bearing wear. This is on a car that was tracked three times (by me)
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...lackstone.html
Old 11-06-2021, 10:47 PM
Snakebit
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
well, here's my oil analysis from a car with 115K miles. Suggesting bearing wear. This is on a car that was tracked three times (by me)
https://rennlist.com/forums/987-foru...lackstone.html
What did you ever decide to do with that car? Just curious about its last 10 months.

Quick Reply: How risky is a high mileage Cayman