Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Mud Flaps Useful?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Rear Mud Flaps Useful?

I picked up 987.2 Spyder a few months back and the previous owner had rear mud flaps installed. I’m not sure if this was to keep stones off the trailer he sometimes would tow behind it or if they offer some kind of protection to the rear bumper cover. Car also sits pretty low on PSS9’s and the flaps scrape every once in a while.

Not crazy about the looks but until I get my back bumper PPF filmed, I would keep them on if they offer any kind of protection back there. Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

The underside and behind the rear tires definitely takes a beating from stones and debris so having some type of protection is a good idea if you want to keep the car looking good. The same goes for the front fender behind the tires. Instead of mud flaps I installed PPF in all these areas and it has served the car well, no chips and while the PPF is worn badly the paint underneath is protected. To really protect the rear bumper the PPF should extend all the way back and around the bumper. As it’s so low to the ground no one ever notices it until you point it out.

How are the flaps installed?
The following 2 users liked this post by Marine Blue:
alemaniac (05-23-2020), M. Schneider (05-25-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 03:14 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

How are the flaps installed?
Looks like screwed into the bumper cover and fender liner.

Old 05-24-2020, 06:39 PM
rk15000
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree that the mudflaps kind of interfere with the clean lines of the car - only cars those look good on IMO are the street versions of rally cars (like Evos and WRXs), which obviously the Boxster is not. You could use the existing screws to plug up the holes that were drilled, and I bet nobody would even notice
The following users liked this post:
alemaniac (05-24-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 07:16 PM
alemaniac
Racer

Yeah, I had them on my 2011 WRX. They looked decent and did provide a ton of protection. I was always curious how much the rear flaps did for my own car, versus those following behind me.

Going to leave these on for now. I want to redo the PPF, but that might have to wait for next year. I’ll remove the mud flaps at that time and add PPF to the rear bumper.

Quick Reply: Rear Mud Flaps Useful?