Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2S (Mostly) Track Car Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:11 AM
Rmag911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 987.2S (Mostly) Track Car Suspension

I have a 2009 987.2 S w/out PASM. I bought the car a few months ago with GT3 LCAs, Bilstein sport struts and Cayman R springs. I've done two DE events so far and liked the setup (but I've never driven coilovers to compare). The struts need to be replaced and I originally picked Bilstein B8s with the idea of transferring over my Cayman R springs. Now I am second guessing myself.

My car will primarily be used for track. Maybe once or twice a week on the street. I don't have a trailer so I will be driving it to the track as well. I don't do timed events or club racing, just out there to have fun and improve my skills. Almost every B8 thread I've found is in the context of a DD or majority street car. Are the B8s and R springs good enough for a track-focused set up? Or do I really need to step up to coilovers? If so, anything less expensive than the KW V3s I should be looking at?
Old 05-21-2020, 07:59 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I've been down a similar decision path myself with my '12 Cayman R. I mostly use it for DE, hillclimbs, a few time trials, and the occasional canyon drive. After much consideration, I ended up with a full JRZ RS Pro setup -- I found an excellent deal on a lightly used set, otherwise I'd probably never have spent quite that much on coilovers. However, this was a slippery slope. Along with the coil overs and cambers plates, I ordered Tarret LCAs, swaybar end links, toes links -- basically a full Tarret setup. On the track and smooth roads, the handling and response is truly amazing and confidence inspiring; poor quality roads can get tiring, and there is much more noise from the suspension.

Not too long after I completed my suspension install Ohlin released the 'Road and Track' coilovers. If I were to redo my suspension, I'd very like go with the Ohlin RnT's and LCAs to dial in extra negative camber, maybe replace the OEM bushings with a bit stiffer compound.

To directly answer your question: you absolutely do not need to upgrade to coilovers for what you'd like to do with your Cayman, but you may find it is rewarding to track your Cayman with improved suspension.

Cheers,
DJM
The following users liked this post:
Andy Ordonez (05-10-2021)
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Originally Posted by djm68
I've been down a similar decision path myself with my '12 Cayman R. I mostly use it for DE, hillclimbs, a few time trials, and the occasional canyon drive. After much consideration, I ended up with a full JRZ RS Pro setup -- I found an excellent deal on a lightly used set, otherwise I'd probably never have spent quite that much on coilovers. However, this was a slippery slope. Along with the coil overs and cambers plates, I ordered Tarret LCAs, swaybar end links, toes links -- basically a full Tarret setup. On the track and smooth roads, the handling and response is truly amazing and confidence inspiring; poor quality roads can get tiring, and there is much more noise from the suspension.

Not too long after I completed my suspension install Ohlin released the 'Road and Track' coilovers. If I were to redo my suspension, I'd very like go with the Ohlin RnT's and LCAs to dial in extra negative camber, maybe replace the OEM bushings with a bit stiffer compound.

To directly answer your question: you absolutely do not need to upgrade to coilovers for what you'd like to do with your Cayman, but you may find it is rewarding to track your Cayman with improved suspension.

Cheers,
DJM
Super helpful!

I just invested a ton into upgrades for my air cooled 911, so I am leaning towards shocks and struts to avoid the extra 2 grand for the KWs. I know common wisdom is that the KW V3's and Ohlins are a cut above the PSS9s, but they may be a decent compromise for me. Any sense of whether the PSS9s will be enough of an upgrade over Cayman R springs w/ B8s to justify the extra cost?
Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

As I've never driven on PSS9s I can not speak to them personally. When I was in the process of selecting my suspension, the input I received from fellow RLer was basically: PSS9s are good street coilovers, but not really suited for track use. Of course the PSS9s will give you adjust-ability, corner balancing, etc.

Take a look at this thread, it touches on many questions you are pondering.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 05-22-2020, 11:46 AM
Raider89
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

You may want to consider Motion Control Suspension 2way coilovers for slightly less expensive, but equal option. I run them on my dedicated track car, but know others that use them on combined DD/Track cars.
http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/
Old 05-22-2020, 12:15 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

How many miles do you have on your struts if theyre going bad already?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:12 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Raider89
You may want to consider Motion Control Suspension 2way coilovers for slightly less expensive, but equal option. I run them on my dedicated track car, but know others that use them on combined DD/Track cars.
http://motioncontrolsuspension.com/
Interesting. Prices look higher than KW V3s. Do you have a source that's less expensive?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Originally Posted by idk_alex
How many miles do you have on your struts if theyre going bad already?
Prior owner used car mostly for track. Not sure exactly when he installed the shocks and struts, but I bought the car with 75k miles on it.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:14 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Originally Posted by djm68
As I've never driven on PSS9s I can not speak to them personally. When I was in the process of selecting my suspension, the input I received from fellow RLer was basically: PSS9s are good street coilovers, but not really suited for track use. Of course the PSS9s will give you adjust-ability, corner balancing, etc.

Take a look at this thread, it touches on many questions you are pondering.

Cheers,
DJM
Thanks for the info. I think i've decided to spend a little more than I planned and get the KW V3s.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:22 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

I saw this in another thread, you might want to do some research before spending.

I just installed Ohlins road and track a few weeks ago and they have been great in the 200 miles I’ve tested them. I’ll do a track day next month and can report back if you’re interested.

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
For just shock/damper replacement - I prefer Koni.

For coilovers, Koni (custom) Ohlins, MCS, and JRZ.

KW seems to have a bad reputation for after sales support and service among the BMW crowd. One of the reasons I never considered KW. Pre-and-After sales support with Koni has been good to me. Bilstein is non-existent. I haven't purchased MCS yet, but my communication with them is amazing. Not great sales footprint in Canada, but not their fault.
Old 05-24-2020, 10:00 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 460 Posts

Ohlins and don’t look back. Best bang for the $$$

Peter
Old 05-25-2020, 01:58 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have pretty much the same setup as JDM In my ‘10 CS but with the JRZ RS One Sport coilovers setup. They are roughly equivalent to the Ohlins R&T as a single adjustable setup. I wanted something simple for a car that is 50/50 street track as I have to drive nearly 2 hours to the nearest track so wanted something I could quickly adjust once I got there. The bigger difference in my opinion was the GT3 LCAs and swapping out the OEM bushings/links for the tarett parts. The difference in responsiveness and feedback is incredible. Paired with the higher quality JRZ dampers, I haven’t experienced any noticeable increase in noise, vibration or harshness on the street which was a huge concern of mine before having the work done.
The following users liked this post:
djm68 (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:11 PM
Rmag911
Instructor

Originally Posted by ptm1019
I have pretty much the same setup as JDM In my ‘10 CS but with the JRZ RS One Sport coilovers setup. They are roughly equivalent to the Ohlins R&T as a single adjustable setup. I wanted something simple for a car that is 50/50 street track as I have to drive nearly 2 hours to the nearest track so wanted something I could quickly adjust once I got there. The bigger difference in my opinion was the GT3 LCAs and swapping out the OEM bushings/links for the tarett parts. The difference in responsiveness and feedback is incredible. Paired with the higher quality JRZ dampers, I haven’t experienced any noticeable increase in noise, vibration or harshness on the street which was a huge concern of mine before having the work done.
Did you replace the oem bushings with monoball bushings?
Old 05-25-2020, 02:46 PM
ptm1019
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rmag911
Did you replace the oem bushings with monoball bushings?
Yes sir. I went with a full tarett setup.
Old 05-25-2020, 03:23 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Ohlins and don’t look back. Best bang for the $$$

Peter
I've got these on my 2009 Cayman, love them, car is mostly HPDE but also some street.

Quick Reply: 987.2S (Mostly) Track Car Suspension