Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing 987.2 Parking Brake Pressure Spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Replacing 987.2 Parking Brake Pressure Spring

Hi -

The two pressure springs in my right rear parking brake disintegrated (my fault - forced off a rotor without adequately releasing the tension of the brake shoe).

I haven't seen a tutorial on replacing here on Rennlist for 987, though there is a good one for 928:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...d-springs.html

I ordered the parts from Pelican (part number 997-352-741-01) but as I was starting to do the replacement, I noticed that the "hook" on the spring is different than the original one. I used a small mirror to look at the left rear springs and they are also different from the part I ordered.

So two questions:

1. Any one have experience with installing these springs on 987?
2. You think I can bend the hooks? I am going to contact PelicanParts today and make sure that they sent me the right parts; the website says yes but I am not so sure.

Thanks!

New spring on left, part of old spring on right ;-)

Old 03-27-2020, 03:06 PM
patriot993
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

I talked to PelicanParts - the issue is that their website is a bit confusing; the part I ordered is for earlier Boxster models. Correct part number is 298-609-583

thanks
Old 10-23-2023, 06:38 PM
AD33
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No kidding these springs are a PITA!!!
I watched 3 videos on it and they all had the spring that is on the left in your photo and my Cayman (987) has the spring on the right in your photo and that sucker isn't coming out. No matter how far I push it in, it can't clear the end of the hook over the lip inside the carrier. I put a little mirror inside the carrier so I could see the backside and the hook is like 1/16th too long to clear. Porsche must have some special tool to press the center post further in to get it done. I considered cutting them and just ordering some new ones that are hopefully easier to put in. The ones on the left with closer to a 90 degree look easier to get in.
Old 10-24-2023, 01:17 AM
AD33
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I came up with a solution that worked for me, in case it helps anyone else.

This is the clip that was on mine. After struggling a long time, I decided to squeeze the top (smallest end) curl tighter with pliers so that it fit within the diameter of the other rings of the spring. Then I used this small hex driver to press the center in further than the rest of the compressed spring.

As it was pushed all the way in, I shifted it around a bit and it released. Worked easily on the second spring as well.
​​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by AD33:
oofie810 (03-24-2024), Schwinn (10-24-2023)

Quick Reply: Replacing 987.2 Parking Brake Pressure Spring