Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying my first Porsche, looking for advice on PPI

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 09:36 AM
martjone
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the tires and the airport. Turns out I can get a one stop flight into HPN at the right time of day for pretty cheap! The tires on the car are almost new, so I should have to wait to try the Michelin's. I did notice the tender lead, which is a nice touch as I would have installed one myself before next winter anyways. Nice choice of picture to amp up my excitement, I am actually considering running down the BRP to Deals Gap after picking the car up. That is such a marvelous stretch of roadway, I have traveled it many times on motorcycles, but never in a sports car. Last time I ran that road, I managed to link up 400-500 miles of 45mph or less limit twisty roads with no highway in between, over the course of a few days. I think I went through withdraws when I finally had to hop on an interstate.
I am now debating on what to do to the car paint protection wise before picking it up. I'm told it is like new and would like to keep it that way, but I am a driver. There are a couple shops around there that do PPF and ceramic coating, but I don't have experience with either. Anyone have suggestions?

Originally Posted by Jim137a
i googled the vin and saw the dealer listing - it’s almost same exact build as mine. I noticed in one of the photos the car is wired for a battery tender - a nice plus - see if the dealer has it when u pick the cars up. All weather mats and the trunk liner are nice as well.

The car appears to have OEM Good Years on it ( I doubt there the original tires after 30K Miles as I got 18k out of mine ) but when these tires are done get Michelin PS4S’s. My good years gripped like no tomorrow but after 10K miles they got noisy and were never really good at handling road imperfections like expansion joints etc. The Michelins grip a bit better, definitely quieter and have a superior ride.

not sure where you plan to fly into but I’d avoid JFK traffic would be brutal. LGA is no joy either but its a bit closer to Bridgeport. If you can get a flight into Westchester County Airport - that would be the best - once you land at Westchester you generally off the plane in 8 to 10 minutes and its only 35 miles to Bridgeport.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your scheduled pick up date.

Heres a shot of my CGTS to keep your anticipation level maxed out.

Shot of the battery tender lead on your car.

Tail of the dragon
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

If a long term keeper I’d say ceramic if a good brand and detailer as used.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

for detailing and PPF I’d recommend Detailer’s Domain in NJ - the issue there is you’d probably have to wait a few days for the car to be finished.

https://www.detailersdomain.com

The other option is to have some Track Wrap with you or shipped to the dealer and temporarily wrap the car until you get back home and have the car PPF’ed and coated at your leisure.

https://www.xpel.com/shop/paint-prot...-film/tracwrap

see the attached pic for the areas on a Cayman that take the biggest hits from stone chips etc - front bumper, leading edge of the hood, leading edge of the roof, near the side intakes, rocker panels, mirrors and A Pillars. The worst area seems to be by the air intakes ( marked in red on the photo ). I have ~ 33k miles on my car with out any PPF - there are some stone chips - if I had to do it all over again I’d definitely have the area by the side intakes done.

I did a road trip recently done to WV, VA, TN, NC and GA - see post #20 in this thread for my notes.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-dragon-2.html

good luck on the trip and let us know when you hit the road, I’d avoid any route that takes you on 95 S towards NYC ( MAJOR TRAFFIC ) I’d head a little NW - set your GPS towards Scranton PA and then S to VA.

Originally Posted by martjone
Thanks for the tip on the tires and the airport. Turns out I can get a one stop flight into HPN at the right time of day for pretty cheap! The tires on the car are almost new, so I should have to wait to try the Michelin's. I did notice the tender lead, which is a nice touch as I would have installed one myself before next winter anyways. Nice choice of picture to amp up my excitement, I am actually considering running down the BRP to Deals Gap after picking the car up. That is such a marvelous stretch of roadway, I have traveled it many times on motorcycles, but never in a sports car. Last time I ran that road, I managed to link up 400-500 miles of 45mph or less limit twisty roads with no highway in between, over the course of a few days. I think I went through withdraws when I finally had to hop on an interstate.
I am now debating on what to do to the car paint protection wise before picking it up. I'm told it is like new and would like to keep it that way, but I am a driver. There are a couple shops around there that do PPF and ceramic coating, but I don't have experience with either. Anyone have suggestions?

Quick Reply: Buying my first Porsche, looking for advice on PPI