Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tonwon OBDII bluetooth sensor for Harry’s Laptimer

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 12:04 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Tonwon OBDII bluetooth sensor for Harry’s Laptimer

i just picked up one of these bluetooth OBDii devices - about $20 and its low profile is ideal for the Cayman because the location of the port being right next to the dead pedal. Its called the Tonwon BLE and is on Harrys recommended list.

It provides additional data to your Harrys Laptimer video recordings. RPMS, braking and accelerating. Additionally, the Harrys app has the feature of warning you as the car approaches the redline on the rpms.

its cheap, works, and ideal for the Cayman platform.

It also says will power down after 30 minutes without the car running so will not run battery down.

Last edited by matttheboatman; 02-04-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:48 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Does yours sync properly? I have this but there always seems to be a 1-3 second delay in things like shifting/RPM/Gs. I've tried adjusting the video timing settings but have been unsuccessful in getting it to sync properly.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MattUF
Does yours sync properly? I have this but there always seems to be a 1-3 second delay in things like shifting/RPM/Gs. I've tried adjusting the video timing settings but have been unsuccessful in getting it to sync properly.
Is the delay the complete overlay, or just the OBDii info?
Old 02-05-2020, 07:11 PM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 170 Posts

Are you using the Ipad mini for the base? Im considering doing the same exact thing with Harrys laptimer, Id like to get both cameras functioning which I think comes with the Grand Prix version or something.

Very cool either way!
Old 02-05-2020, 10:38 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Is the delay the complete overlay, or just the OBDii info?
Well I pulled it back out and gave it a try yesterday, did some tweaking of the video delay settings and think I've found a decent point where it doesn't seem to lag noticeably behind the video. I'll put it to the test in a couple weeks at a DE
Old 02-07-2020, 03:35 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2mAn
Are you using the Ipad mini for the base? Im considering doing the same exact thing with Harrys laptimer, Id like to get both cameras functioning which I think comes with the Grand Prix version or something.

Very cool either way!
Hi 2mAn,

I use the full size Ipad 2, which I call a regular ipad. The cheap mount I found on amazon is a bit dodgy, but it holds things in place good enough. The larger screen is much more practical both for the occasional glance, and for reviewing the videos after the session - my eyes are not as sharp as they once were! I should spend the money to get a seasucker mount like this at
Amazon Amazon
that would hold even in a crash.

You can not link an iphone to the ipad for a second video source in Harry's, but you can use a go-pro to bring in second video. My set up is the ipad in front (big screen), and an iphone on a phone mount on the rear crossbar. This is for a second independent recording. Of course, if they both work properly which happens some times, the iphone video will capture the ipad's screen too.

Note; I have not tested if running a bluetooth OBDII can be captured by two devices - both the iphone and ipad at the same time (i am guessing not). But, I do know that you CAN NOT share apps within the same device and use at the same time. In other words, if you pair up the Tonwon with another app such as Auto Doctor, you will need to un-pair that app to allow it to work with Harry's Lap Timer.

Now we are getting into the weeds a bit as my original post was to say to Cayman owners - the low profile Tonwon OBDII is perfect choice for a Cayman application when exporting car data to the Harry's, as other OBDii devices are too tall and get knocked off during a track session due to the location the Cayman's OBDii port is so close to the dead pedal.

Quick Reply: Tonwon OBDII bluetooth sensor for Harry’s Laptimer