Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Rod Knock?! Maybe not..... Knock, Knock. Who's there? Valve train? Bore score?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 01:12 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Are there any dates associated with the different revisions? It would be good to try to identify if there are specific years that may have this issue.
You'd have to call the parts desk. As a big proponent of preventive maintenance and someone who does my own, I'd do a "major" every 40K, which would include this.
But this is due to driving harder and farther from home and would probably be a bit expensive and overkill for some, especially if you're having the dealer do everything.
Old 02-28-2020, 02:59 PM
FlyinAg
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

A432 your car is certainly well loved

The thing about this issue is that getting to the dang thing is NOT easy. You can get the bolts out going thru the front engine cover and from below with that small under tray removed that covers the forward part of the engine.

HOWEVER COMMA: my tech was unable to get the dang thing out without loosening engine mounts and rocking the engine forward slightly to give enough clearance. That adds a bit of complexity to the swap, which I wish was a simple remove and replace through the covers.

Interesting that there are some iterations of this part. Wonder what changed.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:17 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyinAg
A432 your car is certainly well loved

The thing about this issue is that getting to the dang thing is NOT easy. You can get the bolts out going thru the front engine cover and from below with that small under tray removed that covers the forward part of the engine.

HOWEVER COMMA: my tech was unable to get the dang thing out without loosening engine mounts and rocking the engine forward slightly to give enough clearance. That adds a bit of complexity to the swap, which I wish was a simple remove and replace through the covers.

Interesting that there are some iterations of this part. Wonder what changed.
Thanks, good to know, but not a problem with a lift and a trans. jack. Guess it's become sort of a given to have to move things a bit to get to them. We also did this when replacing the HPFP. (It's also on the -06 rev.)

Quick Reply: 987.2 Rod Knock?! Maybe not..... Knock, Knock. Who's there? Valve train? Bore score?