Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM 3.1 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:12 PM
Davesrave
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default PCM 3.1 problem

Out doing errands. Radio restarted (Porsche crown on the screen) for first time since I've owned the car – 3 months. At second stop the car would not unlock with the keyfob. Had to use the physical key to open. Then the radio restarted about every 5 minutes. Parked the car for two days and replaced the key-fob battery in case that was the cause of the doors not unlocking. Doors have been fine since. Took the car out for a ride and the radio continued to restart. Next day, took the car out. Put it in sport plus and nothing happened. Tried again and it worked. Since then, no radio, key fob or sport plus issues. Toward the end of the trip, I came to a stop, and the Start/Stop worked for the first time in two months.

The car is under CPO warranty ‘til December 1st, so if the radio is going bad, I’d sure like it to happen sooner rather than later. I assume the factory installed car battery will need replacing soon, so I will have to go the dealer for that, since if the car needs the PCM replaced, I don’t want them to blame the battery replacement for causing the PCM issue. Took a few videos of the PCM issue, but they only show the radio restarting, I never captured the radio dying.

So the question is: will the videos be enough to convince Porsche that the PCM needs replacing? If I bring the car in now, I’m afraid they won’t be able to reproduce it. Or, could the battery failing explain these problems? Thanks.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:16 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,083 Likes on 2,113 Posts

I think that the video should help. But they will need to see it happen in person for them to consider the repair. There may also be codes stored so I would have them look at it.

My guess is the battery is the cause, since it isn't just the PCM.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:42 PM
Davesrave
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I think that the video should help. But they will need to see it happen in person for them to consider the repair. There may also be codes stored so I would have them look at it.

My guess is the battery is the cause, since it isn't just the PCM.
Thanks. I can't help thinking the battery is going to factor into this. But I still think (guess) that the PCM is acting up independently. Hadn't thought about the codes. Does the PCM store codes? Or, did you mean other codes?

Quick Reply: PCM 3.1 problem