Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardwire from fuse box

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 09:29 PM
dancrocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwire from fuse box

I would like to hardwire a dash cam. I believe I understand, electrically, what I need to do to get power from the fuse box. The challenges I see are:

-If I use a fuse tap, it looks like the fuse box cover won't close because there's not much room between the tops of the fuses and the cover. I really don't want to do anything goofy like just wrap a wire around an existing fuse
-It's not clear where there's a good ground connection. I looked around the fuse box but didn't see anything obvious

If you've done this in a 981, I'd appreciate some suggestions. Note that I already have a V1 powered from the "mirror tap" and I really don't want to mess with that,
Old 01-12-2020, 02:01 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

I hard wired mine recently with a fuse splitter , you remove one fuse pop this in place, it’s has a slot for original fuse and a second with wire tap off for accessory , try eBay . I’ll see if I have a pic
Old 01-12-2020, 11:06 AM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey man, I have a BlackVue Dr900s Dash cam and a battery pack as well in My 981, I used the Fuse taps it came with to hardwire in, and tapped in a fuse that belongs to the Rear Windshield wiper, some 981's have the rear windshield wiper and like mines many do not, so i used that tap to get power when the Ignition is on. the fuse box under my foot closed absolutely fine , install was not hard! we found a bolt near the fuse box area for ground forgot where but ground should not be an issues, i did a lot of searching on the forums found useful info.
Old 01-12-2020, 11:45 AM
zagamuffin
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

jacob ,

yes door closes fine and the bolt for earth is slightly behind the fuseboard on the firewall where your feet would sit, just need to peel back carpet a little.I wired mine permanently with a batt saver switch which cuts off power at one of a few settings.means its almost always on which i find ideal.

Old 01-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,708 Likes on 650 Posts

Do you have Sport Chrono?
Switched 12V, ground, and illumination should all be present on the feed to the dash clock.
A Y-pig tail should be easy to fab.

Details on possible pin-out (based on 987) here.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hardwire from fuse box